Other uses of antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does radiator antifreeze/coolant have any uses outside of the cooling system?

Say, motor oil can lube hinges, prevent rust on farm implements, keep a fire going...anything!

Does antifreeze, propylene glycol or ethylene glycol based coolant have a use besides cooling down an engine?

IIRC its supposed to be an antifungal agent and (hence) wood preservative, though I've never tried it.

Think I've seen a post somewhere in which someone claimed they used it to clear up an Athletes Foot infection.

I have antifreeze for weight in the rear tires of the tractors rather than calcium chloride. It won't rust the rims should it develop a small leak.

I had some laying around and put it to good use. I ran it through my airless sprayer to prevent corrosion instead of using mineral spirits. I've used it from time to time with good results.

I use it as bead lube. Won't corrode the wheel and it shouldn't oxidize the rubber.

My father used to mix it in the washer fluid on the 18 wheeler when it was extremely cold out.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Propylene glycol is a food additive,

That is true, but the standard automotive antifreeze is ethylene glycol, and that is unsafe to put in food.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
IIRC its supposed to be an antifungal agent and (hence) wood preservative, though I've never tried it.

Think I've seen a post somewhere in which someone claimed they used it to clear up an Athletes Foot infection.

I've also read that some chainsaw carvers use it to protect their carvings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back