STP oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just was at Autozone dropping off some used oil and a couple battery cores. Saw they now have the STP oil. Anyone here tried it yet?

Actually this has been discussed pretty well....I cannot hardly use the BITOG search engine myself but Google just BITOG works pretty well.....here you are friend...
Just go into your search on your browser and type site:bobistheoilguy.com STP Oil
and it will only bring up BITOG discussions on STP Oil for you.
Or just cut and paste this in your browser..
site:bobistheoilguy.com STP Oil

Last edited:
Don't use it. Their quality control sucks balls big time. Their bottles are always leaky before they even reach autozone to be put up on shelves. Recently STP SAE30 have been all terminated in my region of autozones because while the sticker said SAE30 - there was actually something else in the bottles. Again sucky quality control. And also I know a mechanic who got some ATF+4 fluid made by STP for his Dodge Caravan. Changed filter, poured the STP Trans fluid in, and after a mile transmission stopped shifting. He Drained it, refilled with Castrol ATF+4, and transmission came back to life. Hopefully it gives you an idea of how bad the STP Quality Control is. I see unhappy customers on daily basis at my autozone.

STP, I guess a new generation discovers STP every so many years, it just happens that way....

My grand-kids ask me if there were cars back in 1964, lol.

There are better oils, like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platnium/Ultra.

STP stands for Studebaker Testing Products.

Years ago people would add STP to the oil to thicken it up and stop the engine from smoking.

I needed an oil change and stopped into autozone. Saw the 5w30 full synthetic stp on sale for 5 quarts for $19 somthing. Didnt wanna go to walmart to get an equal or better price on another brand cause i didnt wanna deal with traffic or a crowd. So i got it and its been like a month and alls well.
Its freaking api certified sn oil, it will do what its suppose to do.
It does have an orange ish tint to it when i pull the dipstick. Sorta strange! Ill do the suggested 7500k oci for my car and change it without a worry.

I remember looking at this oil, I thought it was made by Warren?

Should be similar to the Walmart Supertech oil.

Does it not have an API starburst?

Originally Posted By: RusskiBoSS
Don't use it. Their quality control sucks balls big time. Their bottles are always leaky before they even reach autozone to be put up on shelves. Recently STP SAE30 have been all terminated in my region of autozones because while the sticker said SAE30 - there was actually something else in the bottles. Again sucky quality control. And also I know a mechanic who got some ATF+4 fluid made by STP for his Dodge Caravan. Changed filter, poured the STP Trans fluid in, and after a mile transmission stopped shifting. He Drained it, refilled with Castrol ATF+4, and transmission came back to life. Hopefully it gives you an idea of how bad the STP Quality Control is. I see unhappy customers on daily basis at my autozone.

The STP ATF+4 is licensed ATF+4. Formal approval by Chrysler. And ATF+4 isn't just a spec; they go much further than that, only allowing a specific formula from a specific supplier.

The QC of all licensed ATF+4 is done by a shell company hired by Chrysler, called the Center for Quality Assurance.

Those Caravan transmissions suck no matter what you put in them. Redline C+ is supposed to be better, even though it isn't licensed by Chrysler. Redline C+ uses the same add pack approved on licensed ATF+4, but with a Group V base stock (Chrysler's ;licensing program only allows a specific group III base).

Starburst and all...

motor-oil.png

Apparently one of my neighbors use it in my building. I looked outside my window in the morning and saw him doing an oil change. I go out later and see the 5 qt STP oil jug behind the dumpster with what seems old oil inside it. It was still there a few days later so I put it right in front of the dumpster with a note attached by tape that said 'needs to be recycled.' Next day it's behind the dumpster again and I'm thinking you can't be effing serious. The next day after that, trash was picked up and no sign of the bottle. Leads me to believe they just thru it in the dumpster but am not 100% sure. Find it insteresting the same day the trash is picked up that the oil bottle disappears. That's my experience with STP LOL

Last edited:
STP used to be made by JD Street or something like that. Dollar General had it and the PQIA said it tested out quite well.

I used it and liked it. I still have a half bottle of DG STP DexIII ATF around. But all that disappeared a couple years ago and now they sell Peak in it's place.

I don't think the AZ STP is in any way related though. It appears AZ has been developing STP as their house brand for a good while. Has the PQIA tested the AZ STP?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
STP used to be made by JD Street or something like that. Dollar General had it and the PQIA said it tested out quite well.

I used it and liked it. I still have a half bottle of DG STP DexIII ATF around. But all that disappeared a couple years ago and now they sell Peak in it's place.

I don't think the AZ STP is in any way related though. It appears AZ has been developing STP as their house brand for a good while. Has the PQIA tested the AZ STP?
if its the same juice as the autozone full synthetic was it looks pretty decent on the most recent pqia voa

I went to Autozone today and found their house brand oil, 5W20 and 10W30 full synthetic was on clearance for 2.75 a quart. I bought 10 bottles of the 5W20. It's SN and Dexos approved. An employee told me that all Autozone oil is "made by" STP, and Autozone house brand is on clearance as it is being replaced by the STP oil. Never used Autozone oil but for this price and with the certifications it has I feel it will be just fine.

Originally Posted By: stcif
I went to Autozone today and found their house brand oil, 5W20 and 10W30 full synthetic was on clearance for 2.75 a quart. I bought 10 bottles of the 5W20. It's SN and Dexos approved. An employee told me that all Autozone oil is "made by" STP, and Autozone house brand is on clearance as it is being replaced by the STP oil. Never used Autozone oil but for this price and with the certifications it has I feel it will be just fine.

Awsome deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back