What happened to Valvoline NextGen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to NextGen? Was there any issues with it? Or was the discontinuation just a marketing decision?

(I used searched but could not find)

Last edited by a moderator:
NextGen was a superior product, but far too many people thought it was inferior and therefor should be cheaper. It was a sales failure so it went away. Shame.

People don't like the idea of recycled products as much as they should. If they did, the world would be in much better shape. But people don't want to drink from recycled bottles because they believe they are dirty. Same thing with recycled oil. Why would they want to use old dirty oil that someone else already used? I never used Nexgen before as it wasn't carried at our Autozone. It was at oreilly's, however if it made a comeback, especially with a synthetic or semisyn sold at walmart, it would probably be used exclusively in my lineup. Especially in my race car.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
NextGen was a superior product, but far too many people thought it was inferior and therefor should be cheaper. It was a sales failure so it went away. Shame.

+1 I personally never used it but this is spot on. The general population doesn't realize how many municipalities and government use safety kleen which is recycled oil. Heck, the US Military uses Safety Kleen and those vehicles are abused. I am sure it'll come back sooner or later.

I do recall that PQIA tested the NextGen regular 5w20 and it issued a "advisory" for the very high NOACK it had. I used some of the Maxlife NextGen in the Jeep when I got it; no issues

It went away, thankfully, because people perceived it would be lower tier oil because it was "recycled".

Valvoline pushed it as "more refined" as it came refined once when it was new, then again to clean it for re-use and re-sale.

Well, if you stayed away from this product, it was actually junk oil, and I don't think it was any cheaper than similar oils such as PYB.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Valvolinenextgen.htm

But I could be wrong, this is just what I recall.

The average joe that walked in to buy motor oil for his $20K plus investment wasnt willing to save 50 cents a quart for recycled oil.

I am buying it at $1/quart from my local NAPA but its cloak and dagger..

So to answer your question it flopped as an idea that Americans would want to buy recycled oil and pay a near premium price. If they would have sold it for half the price then we would have balked thinking that it was inferior in some way.

New Coke is akin NextGen.. in the oil world.

Poor sales, and NextGen 5w20 was inferior.

I bought 80-90 quarts of Valvoline NextGen MaxLife 10w40, for $0.33 per quart while O'Reillys had it for $1.99 per quart, I bought 3 per transaction and used a $5 off coupon on it.

That was almost 3 years ago, still have 5-10 quarts

the problem is/was with pricing.
they priced it on par, or even a little more than regular Valvoline. as others have said, there is a public bias that "used*" oil is inferior, and it should therefore be cheaper.

in some parts of the world it is. If you go to cananda, their supertech(now called something else) oil, is/was a fully re-refined product of safety-kleen. you could get a 5 gal bucket for ~$40.

Safety-Kleen does have a re-refined product line here in the states, 2 actually "America's Choice" for Govt Fleet Vehicles, and "Eco-Power", which they only sell to shops. I've asked, and they have no interest in mass marketing it/retail sales, they just direct you to a shop "near" you that carries it.

so, I did that a few years back, found a shop that carried it, contacted them to see if i could buy a jug off of them, they said yes, i went to collect, and the counter monkey looked baffled, ended up charging me $40 for a 5qt Jug.(basically what they would have charged for an oil change)

*I know it was re-refined, and just as good as the first time around, just trying to illustrate a point

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
The average joe that walked in to buy motor oil for his $20K plus investment wasnt willing to save 50 cents a quart for recycled oil.

Around here (Central NY State), it was more expensive than other oils

I think Valvoline just thought the PRIUS driving gluten free eating hippy dippy types would buy this in droves regardless of price because of the "environmental" angle.

When it comes down to it, the hippy dippy types are cheap charlies anyways like the rest of us and are not going to pay market prices for a recycled product.

That being said, I picked up a metric [censored] ton of the stuff on FAR's when it first came out. It was OK and would have bought more if priced right for what it was.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Poor sales, and NextGen 5w20 was inferior.

I bought 80-90 quarts of Valvoline NextGen MaxLife 10w40, for $0.33 per quart while O'Reillys had it for $1.99 per quart, I bought 3 per transaction and used a $5 off coupon on it.

That was almost 3 years ago, still have 5-10 quarts

Yeah, I remember that. Used it anyway. Car is still running, transmission is dying, engine is still good. I had so much at one point because there was a free after rebate deal going on for months at a time so I stopped, thought I had too much. Ended up giving some of it away and I used it all up a little over a year ago. Finally used up the Autozone gift cards on clearance oil last year.

The big question is what happened to the 50% recycled oil that was branded NextGen?

Valvoline didn't put that together and just to walk away when NextGen didn't sell.

Any labeling requirements for recycled content in the engine oil world?

I am one of those customers who thinks NextGen was an inferior product and couldn't believe the marketing claims. Valvoline would have to do a lot of independent testing to prove to me used oil is better than unused oil. And if it isn't better, but just as good, it would have to be offered at a lower price than unused oil.

The other option is for me to recycle my own oil by doing what Amsoil does with their bypass filters.

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
I am one of those customers who thinks NextGen was an inferior product and couldn't believe the marketing claims. Valvoline would have to do a lot of independent testing to prove to me used oil is better than unused oil. And if it isn't better, but just as good, it would have to be offered at a lower price than unused oil.

The other option is for me to recycle my own oil by doing what Amsoil does with their bypass filters.

Well, here's the specs for each oil from an independent company.

They look awfully close to me.

The only one that didn't test too well was NextGen 5w20.

The other weights were fine.

While I was in the hospital, my wife took her car to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change and the receipt said they used NextGen. Perhaps it will live on there. Or not.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back