Wix XP & Napa Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Later on today ZeeOSix will be here to explain to you how the Wix XP has an efficiency rating of 50% at 20 micron and how you're putting your engine at great risk by using that filter. Then after that he'll try to sway you towards the Fram Ultra. Keep in mind the width of a human hair is 40 micron.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Later on today ZeeOSix will be here to explain to you how the Wix XP has an efficiency rating of 50% at 20 micron and how you're putting your engine at great risk by using that filter. Then after that he'll try to sway you towards the Fram Ultra. Keep in mind the width of a human hair is 40 micron.
grin2.gif

Most modern main clearances on small Japanese engines are 37 microns Diametrical nominal which would make the running clearance somewhat less than 1/2 that (~ 15-20 microns). What helps slow bearing wear generally is that the package in oil attracts (polarity and chemically) and agglomerates the particulates so that they are now much larger than 20 microns. Also gummy deposits on the filter in situ will trap particles greater than the efficiency rating beyond a lab bench test using ISO powders.

I haven't heard of anyone getting engine troubles due to using a filter with a low efficiency. Many people say that Toyota's filters are built solid but efficiency is what lacks.. too bad I don't hear premature engine failure as a common occurrence. I guess all this paranoia about filtration efficiency is only relevant for us oil nerds! It would be difficult for us to tell the difference between an engine that saw Toyota filters its whole life and one using a Fram Ultra... so I think at the end of the day.. its splitting hairs..

Good news on an XP or Platinum, or even an Ultra, is the LONGER you run it, the better the efficiency gets. I run all the synthetic filters to at least 10K-when I throw a rod, spin a bearing, or munch a cam lobe you guys will be the first to know! Now if I could just find some Krown to stop my rust...

grin2.gif

Now come on ... I've never said using a Wix XP or NAPA Platinum would be "putting your engine at great risk". I just relay that Wix specifies an efficiency of 50% @ 20 microns which isn't very good by filtering standards. People can make up their own mind from the info.

You put that Platinum on yet?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
grin2.gif

Now come on ... I've never said using a Wix XP or NAPA Platinum would be "putting your engine at great risk". I just relay that Wix specifies an efficiency of 50% @ 20 microns which isn't very good by filtering standards. People can make up their own mind from the info.

You put that Platinum on yet?
grin.gif

In comparison to the NAPA Platinum, do you have specs for the NAPA Gold? Do you feel it's a better filter?

The regular WIX / NAPA Gold filters are rated at 95% @ 20 microns.

What am I missing about these beta ratio calculations. Wix XP is rated B2=20. Isn't that 95% @ 2 microns?

Originally Posted By: hatt
What am I missing about these beta ratio calculations. Wix XP is rated B2=20. Isn't that 95% @ 2 microns?

No ... B2 (means Beta 2) equals 50% efficiency.

95% @ 20 microns would be written "B20=20".

B = Beta Ratio
(B-1)/B X 100 = Efficiency %

B2=20

Doesn't B=20

(20-1)/20x100=95%

The way I'm seeing explained is that the 2 is the particle size you're testing.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/564/filter-beta-ratios

Quote:
The two sample curves for filter elements shown in Figures 3 and 4 may be compared for a contaminant-sensitive servo valve application. Both filters have an average Beta Ratio equal to 300 for 3-micron particles. Judging by the average Beta Ratio, the elements would appear to have identical properties and no other Beta Ratio comparisons should be made. However, as shown in Figure 3, the first element Beta Ratio is equal to b3 = 700 at the beginning of the test and slowly drops to a value of 200 at the end of the test. This element provides excellent contaminant protection in the beginning of the test and offers good protection at the end of the test. The element could be used in all applications where a minimum beta value of 200 is necessary for the proper protection of the hydraulic equipment.

Surface Filtration

Depth Filtration
Figure 5. Absolute Filtration vs. Nominal Filtration
The second element (Figure 4) on the other hand, has a Beta Ratio equal to b3 = 50 at the beginning of the test and it slowly climbs to a maximum value of 700. Although the average Beta Ratio was equal to 300, the element may fail to protect the contamination-sensitive servo valve when first installed into the hydraulic system. Only after dirt accumulates in the filter (and possibly after a system failure) does it provide the necessary system protection. Further examination of the beta curve for the element in Figure 3 shows that the Beta value remained at 200 or above well into the 20-bar differential pressure range. This shows that the element has very good Beta stability and will provide the necessary protection at all element differential pressures. The Beta value for the second element, on the other hand, dropped rapidly to less than 75 after 8-bar element differential pressure. This element would not provide the necessary protection for the servo valves when the element differential pressure increased past 8 bar.

Last edited:
^^^ WIX does not follow that convention. It's been discussed many times over in this forum. You can call WIX's Tech Department (number is on their website) to verify.

WIX uses the format - the particle size is on the right side of the equals sign:

50% @ 20 microns would be written "B2=20"

95% @ 20 microns would be written "B20=20".

B2 = 50%
B20 = 95%
B100 = 99%

WIX would express a Beta Ratio equal to 300 for 3-micron particles, as: B300 = 3

B300 = 99.7% efficient.

And to add, there is no way the XP is B2=20 with a meaning of "95% @ 2 microns" as shown in the article format you posted. WIX uses their own format on Beta Ratio.

Maybe the tech call center doesn't know what they're talking about.

How would they calculate 2/20=6/20 for their regular filters? You said they're 95%@20. What's the other value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back