Delo 15W30: Top Hot Weather 30wt oil for the $$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we approach summer, it's time to prep our small air cooled engines for the the high temperatures we will be seeing. In my case, I have; 1) A Cub Cadet 1046 lawn tractor with a 20HP, air cooled, Kawasaki engine and 2) a portable, Rigid air cooled generator - 8,000 kw (10 kw peak). Robin Subaru engine. This one is just the ticket for repowering most of the house, for the expected power outages. Some outages have lasted for several days. Both of my oil capacities are 2 qts w/ filter.

Both of my engines call for either a 10W30 or straight 30 wt. I prefer multi weights. I happened to catch the O'Reilley's sale last month (all Delo 4 qt jugs for $12 something). In reading the product literature, I was surprised, that it fared well against competitive HDEO 10W30's, 15W40's and 5W40's, on heat related, and oxidation related testing by Southwest Industries. I'll let someone else post the attachment, that I was looking at. I looked up the flash point, on their product data sheet, which I found out to be 233C (451F).

This 233C figure exceeds all the Mobil 1 30wt oils as well as Amsoil ACD 10W30/SAE30. So must be good stuff, for my application, you think? Maybe your application too. I did find Amsoil ASE 10W30 to have a higher flash point (246). But I am not ready to pay $9/ qt for my small engine oil.

My only question is how Chevron can make a 30 multi wt, CONVENTIONAL oil with a 233 flash point?

Not sure about the flash point issue, but i always recommend Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 for these SAE30 applications.

It's got a 3.5 HTHSV, which is higher than most 30 grades. 232C flashpoint, It's ACEA A3/B3 + API SL rated...it's basically everything a genny or lawnmower needs.

The oil in my signature is -51c to +234c. But yours is way more affordable .sadly i cant use yours it isnt 5w30 and it isnt sn rated

I use 10w-30 Mystik jT8 in all my aircooled motors cause they do run hot. I run longer oil filters to dissipate the heat alittle better. TBN is a robust 10.0. You can't beat the price at Farm & Fleet.

M20003.pdf

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Not sure about the flash point issue, but i always recommend Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 for these SAE30 applications....

This is my favorite oil for A LOT of things, and for the same reasons you pointed out.

That Delo is indeed interesting and I'll keep an eye on O'Reilly sales; there are uses for that, too I could find. The M1 is great but pricey unless you catch the annual rebates they do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Best F100
As we approach summer, it's time to prep our small air cooled engines for the the high temperatures we will be seeing. In my case, I have; 1) A Cub Cadet 1046 lawn tractor with a 20HP, air cooled, Kawasaki engine and 2) a portable, Rigid air cooled generator - 8,000 kw (10 kw peak). Robin Subaru engine. This one is just the ticket for repowering most of the house, for the expected power outages. Some outages have lasted for several days. Both of my oil capacities are 2 qts w/ filter.

Both of my engines call for either a 10W30 or straight 30 wt. I prefer multi weights. I happened to catch the O'Reilley's sale last month (all Delo 4 qt jugs for $12 something). In reading the product literature, I was surprised, that it fared well against competitive HDEO 10W30's, 15W40's and 5W40's, on heat related, and oxidation related testing by Southwest Industries. I'll let someone else post the attachment, that I was looking at. I looked up the flash point, on their product data sheet, which I found out to be 233C (451F).

This 233C figure exceeds all the Mobil 1 30wt oils as well as Amsoil ACD 10W30/SAE30. So must be good stuff, for my application, you think? Maybe your application too. I did find Amsoil ASE 10W30 to have a higher flash point (246). But I am not ready to pay $9/ qt for my small engine oil.

My only question is how Chevron can make a 30 multi wt, CONVENTIONAL oil with a 233 flash point?

It might have a lot of Group III in it. There is no requirement to call it a Synthetic Blend just because it contains Group III or even is all Group III.

Easy, the monogrades, being all basestock, rather than a quite light basestock bolstered with Viscosity Modifiers in and of themselves have a ridiculously high flash point.

Here's Citgo's offerings, and only put here as they have quite comprehensive data sheets.

http://www.technologylubricants.com/MSDS/CITGO/PDS/C500 single visc_pds.pdf

Check out the HTHS as well, that's just the natural viscosity of an SAE30 at play...check out the 20W20 as well, I'd actually run a 20W20 in my Caprice if there was one with a decent SL+ additive package.

As to what Chevron are doing, 128 v.i. is about par for a 20W50 with small amounts of VII added, so I'm not suggesting it's got none.

Looking at the CCS/MRV, there's what looks like a little VII at play.

Then have a look at their GrII basestock offerings

http://www.chevronbaseoils.com/content/dam/chevron_base_oil/Products/CVX Typicals US_09-15.pdf

and you can see that with GrII only, they can get pretty close to what they need...throw in a little VM and some PPD, and you are there.

That 600R is already an SAE30 with a 270 FP.

Oreilly's just had this stuff for about $15 a gallon. The stuff caters to several service diesels such as a UPS truck.

Not sure what good it'd do compared to 10w30/15w40 HDEO's though.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

It might have a lot of Group III in it. There is no requirement to call it a Synthetic Blend just because it contains Group III or even is all Group III.

Nope...It's group II
http://t20host2.com/marketdriven/wp-content/uploads/full-transcript.pdf
Wouldn't stop me from using it though. Delo has this technology on radar lock. The 15w30 is very likely a straight grade with exceptional qualities much like their straight 30 weight actually has specs of a 20w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
So how much difference is there between the Mystik vs Citgo respective grades. I am mainly comparing the 10w-30 and 15w-40. Citgo has the edge with Flash points, Mystik edges TBN of 10.0. I can't ascertain at this point the HTHS of Mystik or the Noack of Citgo product.

http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/m20003.pdf

A CJ-4 10w30 must have a >3.5 HTHS to qualify as CJ-4. Just like the new CK-4 that will show up at the end of the year. The new FA-4 that will show up along with CK-4 will have HTHS levels of 2.9-3.2. People will have to be on their toes what they use when these two new oils show up.

I use the same Schaeffer 711 10w30 syn blend CJ-4 in my JD ZT mower as I use in my Detroit Diesel engine and NH compact tractor.

I realize this is an old thread but was curious about this oil. Was thinking it would be good for lawn mowers and 4 stroke outboards that recommend oils between 10w30-25w40. Also wondering about running it in a chevy LS motor that will see some drag strip use seeing how the LS is a 30wt recommended motor. I'm not worried about the "S" on the jug. I don't understand all the oil lingo you guys use so use lingo a hillbilly can understand please.

Thanks gentlemen for your replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back