Tell me about Parts Master filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just happened to notice that a small local parts place has changed from CarQuest to Auto Value. Tell me about Parts Master filters. Not much information on the Auto Value website other than they seem to imply that you might get an actual Wix filter if you buy a Parts Master. When I do a filter lookup for my vehicles they show a Wix filter with "Parts Master/Wix" labeled name.

Just because it's a Wix does not guarantee it's a good filter. For example, the new Wal-Mart SuperTechs are Wix-made and their efficiency ratings look abysmal. No thanks.

When you look up a filter they show a picture of a Wix filter with "Wix" written on the side, and they describe it like this:
Oil Filter
Part Number: 67899
Manufacturer: PARTS MASTER/WIX
Gastonia, NC
704-864-6711

Quote:
Like Auto Extra, O'R MicroGard, Napa Pro Select/Silver and now ST, the PM is a Wix 'made for' filter.

Thanks--searched but didn't find that thread. From the website it appears that Auto Value may also sell genuine Wix filters too--I'll have to see if the store stocks them.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Thanks--searched but didn't find that thread. From the website it appears that Auto Value may also sell genuine Wix filters too--I'll have to see if the store stocks them.

If they sell Wix, besides saying Wix obviously, with rare exception they will have silicone(reddish/orange) adbv and thread end bypass.

As for search, a Google image search of topic with... site:bobistheoilguy.com..... at end will get you where you want to be.

I should have written I couldn't find anything recent about Parts Master/Wix filters. With the way the industry changes you can't go by a thread more than a year old. (Go back three or four years and everyone was slamming Fram and touting Purolator!)

Originally Posted By: car51
FOR cripes sake; I have cut and posted what 4 of them that didn't fail. same with pro tec: GOOD FILTERS

There's a lot more to a filter being 'good' than it not falling apart during use. That's an awfully low bar to hit.

Originally Posted By: car51
FOR cripes sake; I have cut and posted what 4 of them that didn't fail. same with pro tec: GOOD FILTERS
I cut one that tore. Off my Silverado. Partsmaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I cut one that tore. Off my Silverado.

That was only 4000 miles too. Makes me wonder if the tearing issues that have been reported on here are due to the filter media that maybe comes from a company that supplies several different filter manufacturers.

Do they sell MOOG chassis parts still or did they go to Mevotech (along with Parts Master)? There was a Federal Mogul falling out a couple months back with A.V.

Auto Value does sell genuine Wix filters along with the Wix made PM store brand. I cut one open that looked good after over a year on a small engine. They are comparable to Napa Silver in construction, likely the same jobber filter made for NAPA and Auto Value.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Just because it's a Wix does not guarantee it's a good filter. For example, the new Wal-Mart SuperTechs are Wix-made and their efficiency ratings look abysmal. No thanks.

All Wix have poor efficiency compared to purolator.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Maybe the old Purolators ... if they don't tear. Unknown what the efficiency is on the new Purolator line of filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Maybe the old Purolators ... if they don't tear. Unknown what the efficiency is on the new Purolator line of filters.

let me rephrase - wix have poor efficiency compared to every other filter on the planet

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

let me rephrase - wix have poor efficiency compared to every other filter on the planet

LoL ... what? WIX/NAPA Gold are 95% @ 20 microns which is better than a lot out there. If you're talking specifically about the WIX XP (50% @ 20 microns), then yeah I'd agree with that. But you said "All Wix ..." so with that I'd disagree that they are "poor efficiency compared to every other filter on the planet".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back