Rotating Feathered tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a car, 2010 Jetta, that has feathered tires on the rear. They are making a lot of noise. What would be the best way to rotate the tires to reduce the noise? I plan to sell the car in the next couple months so I don't care about what's best long term. Just want to reduce the tire noise.

Thanks

Do an X pattern. You are changing the tread blocks 180 degrees which will lower the tread noise for awhile. Report back here if it works.

It needs new tires. And shocks.

If you want to be scuzzy and doctor it, then just get some cheap tires at Walmart.

Just an FYI:

Rotating the tires is going to make things worse! Temporarily. You need to give the tires some time to wear a new pattern.

But be aware that you may not be able to wear the old pattern out enough to make a difference. After all, the new pattern is being worn on top of the old pattern and may not erase the old pattern.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just an FYI:

Rotating the tires is going to make things worse! Temporarily. You need to give the tires some time to wear a new pattern.

But be aware that you may not be able to wear the old pattern out enough to make a difference. After all, the new pattern is being worn on top of the old pattern and may not erase the old pattern.

That was my experience as well. My wife never rotated tires before I met her, so they had at least 20k on them. They were surprisingly silent on the highway. I decided to rotate them to try even out the wear, they were very loud at first, then slowly wore back to a more even pattern. I rotated them regularly for a while. It never got totally quiet again, but by the end of life, around 45k, they were much quieter, and the wear had evened out.

Well I rotated the tires in an X-pattern. When I rotated the tires I noticed that the tires were worse than I had originally thought. The 2 tires that were on the back were such junk that I just went to walmart and got a pair for $147 out the door. The car is so much quieter now!

I would normally not buy cheap tires from walmart but we are selling the car this summer so I really don't care.

Moral of the story, buy good tires and take care of them.

you can only rotate in an X pattern if the tyres aren't directional, so check this first.

I rotate twice per year, when going from winter to summer tyres and vice versa. But only front to back as I use directional tyres (standard fit were assymetrical)

How is the rear alignment? A lot of vehicles have aggressive rear alignments that can really start to cheap up the tires if it gets out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back