Mopar guys please step inside.... Jeep SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 14 Jeep SRT with 23K on it. I know it needs 0W-40 so the MDS works correctly. I was thinking about running amsoil signature series 0W-40 and was wondering if anybody had any real world results with the amsoil in the big 6.4 Hemi?

Why do you want to pay top dollar for motor oil? Mobil 1 0w40 gets good reviews and you can get up to 2 5 quart jugs with a $12 rebate each that runs through the end of May. Works out to a little over $13 a jug if you get them at Walmart.

You should run an approved lubricant through the warranty period, which means you are limited to the Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 at this time, as no other oil carries the approval. Hopefully that will change in the future.

M1 0W-40. That's all I've used in my 2012 6.4 SRT8 Challenger since new. It is very robust, easy to find, and inexpensive (compared to boutique oils).

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You should run an approved lubricant through the warranty period, which means you are limited to the Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 at this time, as no other oil carries the approval. Hopefully that will change in the future.

This.

While it's under warranty, use the SRT 0W-40. After the warranty period, go ahead and use M1.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
M1 0W40 will do the job.

M1 0W-40 will do the job, but it's not an approved oil for this application. To satisfy warranty requirements, you need an oil with Chrysler MS-12633 approval. The only off the shelf oil that carries MS-12633 approval is the Pennzoil SRT 0W-40. I believe there's also a Mopar branded version available at dealerships. Amsoil and Redline both "recommend" their 0W-40s for these applications, but neither are actually approved by Chrysler.

Only just learned of this vehicle the other week having seen one in Oz.

faster than all of the mythical Oz supercars of the early 70s...amazing.

Castrol and Mobil recommend their own 0W40s for these down here...we don't get the Pennzoil product down here.

Shell recommend their 5W40

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Just picked up a 14 Jeep SRT with 23K on it.

Pics or it didn't happen!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Just picked up a 14 Jeep SRT with 23K on it.

Pics or it didn't happen!
laugh.gif

grin.gif

I had no idea pennzoil made a specific oil for the SRT's. That is what I will run then for sure. I might get the lifetime warranty for this truck. My confidence in Chrysler products is not very high. It already has to go back to get the uconnect radio replaced. Dealer reflashed the radio and 5 minutes after leaving the dealership it started acting up again so the service advisor ordered a new radio for it.

https://youtu.be/PGMCNWo3ScI

Just picked up a 14 Jeep SRT with 23K on it. I know it needs 0W-40 so the MDS works correctly. I was thinking about running amsoil signature series 0W-40 and was wondering if anybody had any real world results with the amsoil in the big 6.4 Hemi?

Please note that MDS has been proven to work well with almost any weight of oil. The same valve gear is spec'd for everything from 20W to 40W.

Amsoil is excellent oil but modern synthetics are all probably better than needed, especially for street use only. My 6.1 carries a TSB for 50W if desired when oil temps get hot and the piston squirters whine/warble.

I must reluctantly recommend the OW-40 Pennzoil oil as well as it is the only oil currently certified for your engine. Mobil 1 0W-40 is right on my oil cap and would serve you well, too. But who wants to give them an out...

That is one sweet ride. I drove one of the 5.7 versions while shopping last year. I can't imagine how the 6.4 runs. If they put the 6.4 in a 1500 Ram I'd be trading mine in in a heart beat!

Stick with the Pennzoil until more brands carry the cert. No need to give them a reason if something happens.

Saaawweeeeet!

Chrysler doesn't have the best rep I know, but all my first hand experience along with several others in our immediate family have been positive. So you might be pleasantly surprised in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back