Best Penetrating Oil for Rusted Automotive Fasteners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using PB Blaster for dealing with moderately rusted automotive fasteners and rusted joints and splines. So far so good.

But are there better products out there, that every DIYer should have?

if kroil doesnt do it.. you usually need something more impressive... like a torch.

Was never willing to pay the premium for kroil, finally broke down and bought a can last year. It really does seem significantly more effective than the pb blaster I used to use.

Liquid wrench works well, too. Not quite as effective as kroil.

Kroil (Aerokroil) here as well. Have tried others (PB, WD-40, Liquid Wrench, etc.), but Kroil has always worked better.

Took a while to find it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4012336/How_to_apply_ATF/Acetone_antis

Note also that “Liquid Wrench” is almost as good as “Kroil” for about 20% of the price.

Machinist’s Workshop Mag™ recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.
They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” environment.

*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*
None ........................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix...............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the “home brew” was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that “Liquid Wrench” is almost as good as “Kroil” for about 20% of the price.
Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer
thinner 50 - 50 mix

Originally Posted By: buck91
Was never willing to pay the premium for kroil, finally broke down and bought a can last year. It really does seem significantly more effective than the pb blaster I used to use.

Liquid wrench works well, too. Not quite as effective as kroil.

If you buy it directly from Kanolabs.com, they have a buy one get one free offer so it's more like $6.75 a can plus shipping.

Kroil but for off the shelf stuff Liquid Wrench has been pretty good. The key to success with any of these products is allowing them plenty of wick time before tackling the fastener.
A good soaking left overnight or longer is probably the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back