Ethylene Glycol Phosphate Based coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Malador
I went to two different parts stores today trying to find a ethylene glycol phosphate
based coolant. Everything was phosphate free. I can't find any coolant online calming to phosphate based. Does it still exist?

I'm wanting phosphate based because that is what a TSB from the manufacture recommends.
http://www.acksfaq.com/TSBs/TS_01_01074_Coolant_Type_Usage.pdf

What you want is a P-HOAT coolant (phosphate hybrid organic acid technology). Zerex Asian is what you want, and is what I use in both vehicles in my sig. It is silicate and borate free. It can be found at Advance Auto, Napa, and now Walmart evidently. There are other options, like Mazda FL22, Motorcraft Specialty Green, Kia/Hyundai/Mitsubishi OEM and other aftermarket equivalents, but they are all the same thing. Color of the coolant is also usually irrelevant, so don't go by that. Zerex Asian is pink, FWIW.

From the Prestone website:

Q:
Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A:

Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles.

Don't know if this is the reason they are calling out phosphate-free on your Suz.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
From the Prestone website:

Q:
Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A:

Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles.

Don't know if this is the reason they are calling out phosphate-free on your Suz.

If you read the TSB sheet carefully, you'll see that his vehicle is one that REQUIRES a phosphate based coolant, not phosphate free. That TSB addresses two different requirements. His falls under the one that requires a P-HOAT. If this is what you meant when you said "calling out", kindly ignore my statement
smile.gif

Zerex it is! They actually had that in stock, but I guess i was just confused. I spent a lot time reading and just got more confused. The vehicle is a 1988, and i didn't think finding coolant for something of that vintage would be this complicated.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back