Will using 5w20 in the summer destroy my tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: faltic
Hello everyone thanks for looking at my post. I have run Chevron Supreme 5w20 in my EX250 thru the most of this winter and really like the way the bike runs with it. I change the oil in my bikes spring and fall regardless of mileage and was think of putting the 5w20 in for the spring/summer run. I'm sure this oil will not hurt the engine in hot weather (near FL GA line) but the trans is another matter. Some guy on ninja250.org has run 5w30 in his for many miles with no problem. Bike is my DD 12 mile round trip work and back no highway mostly under 9k rpm but have hit the rev limiter on occasion. Am I flirting with disaster? Thoughts, opinions and especially experiences sought.
Regards to all

Try Rotella 15w40 and don't look back. That will serve you well all year round and is easy to find everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Try Rotella 15w40 and don't look back. That will serve you well all year round and is easy to find everywhere.

+1, available everywhere and inexpensive. If you feel your EX250 is a lil slow go get an EX500. However, don't run car oil in it to optimize performance. If you can't find or don't want to pay for Rotella in this grade then grab some SuperTech 10W40, Delo 15W40, Delvac 15W40, etc. You need a 40 weight oil in a motorcycle for a variety of reasons.

The chosen oil viscosity does not affect how quickly the bike can come off choke. That's a jetting issue. Fix your OEM fuel screw and pilot jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back