2017 Honda Ridgeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know when it will be available for sale? I have heard this spring, but Honda doesn't even have it on their website.

If its anything like the release of the Nissan Titan it will be mythical.

Usually Honda is pretty strict about their new vehicle releases though, probably around september or october.

Hopefully they went back to the drawing board and made it less like a minivan but that is unlikely.

Last edited:
lawman....Yes, Honda has officially said sometime this spring. So anytime between now and mid-June.

My current Ridge has been the best truck I've ever owned....and from what I've read, the new one is a little bit better in almost every regard.

It should be worth the wait. I am interested in real-world reviews from a curiosity standpoint. I love my first generation, so I won't be looking to get one.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-2017-honda-ridgeline-for-adults-that-have-grown-up-1775529257

Interesting review which is not surprising. Honda has amazing engineering however the passion/emotional side not present.

Decent review. Sometimes I wonder if I would have preferred a Ridge over my Tundra. I know it would fit my needs better, but since car buying is so emotional... I guess we'll see how this redo sells after a couple of years.

you can buy alot of fuel for the price of a belt replacement or two...I'd lean toward a Tundra on that alone.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
you can buy alot of fuel for the price of a belt replacement or two...I'd lean toward a Tundra on that alone.

Quick look indicates a TB change is about $1,400 at a dealer. $1,400 / $2.2/gallon * 19mpg is about 12kmiles.

Originally Posted By: supton

Quick look indicates a TB change is about $1,400 at a dealer. $1,400 / $2.2/gallon * 19mpg is about 12kmiles.

No, no. You can get a timing belt changed for $100 at the local mechanic shop. Definitely superior to a Chain that will outlast the rest of the engine and never require any changes!

It is not only that, it is the fuel economy difference (if any). Assume best-case scenario, Honda will need a 3mpg OVERALL bump to nix out the chained option. So, the Ridgeline would need to get 23mpg compared to a V6 Tacoma's 20mpg (and assume a high fuel price)... that is 3mpg at $3/g must gain that back with 467g of fuel.

At 105,000 miles @ 20mpg, the Tacoma would use 5250g and have a bump of 467g (ie 4,783).
At 105,000 miles @ 23mpg, the Honda would use 4565.
At 105,000 miles @ 22mpg, it would be a wash at 4772g vs 4,783

If fuel prices stay low...

Wow, it amazes me that people will spend 30K-40K for a "small" pick-up.

Tacoma (realistically) starts in the slightly above mid-20s, Nissan in the lower 20s, Chevy in the low 20s. Sure, these are 4-bangers but realistically the bulk of the Ridgeline will not even use three of the six cylinders carrying their free-range kittens in the back.

Congrats Honda, you finally built a Crosstour with a useable stroage space.

For your Ridgeline toolbox:
Electric_Hammer.jpg

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Wow, it amazes me that people will spend 30K-40K for a "small" pick-up.

Tacoma (realistically) starts in the slightly above mid-20s, Nissan in the lower 20s, Chevy in the low 20s. Sure, these are 4-bangers but realistically the bulk of the Ridgeline will not even use three of the six cylinders carrying their free-range kittens in the back.

Congrats Honda, you finally built a Crosstour with a useable stroage space.

For your Ridgeline toolbox:
Electric_Hammer.jpg

The 2wd fwd Ridgeline is still a better truck for my wife, than the rwd competitors. Even I wouldn't try to drive in winter with a rwd truck here without my steep driveway, and the existing mid sizes aren't available with 4 cyl and 4wd so now they cost more to be driveable in the winter than a ridgeline.
I'm not going to run out and buy one, but the ridgeline is all the truck many people need and some of them will be Ok with that. If it got significantly better mileage it would really help sell it, but maybe a more FE engine is coming?

It is not only that, it is the fuel economy difference (if any). Assume best-case scenario, Honda will need a 3mpg OVERALL bump to nix out the chained option. So, the Ridgeline would need to get 23mpg compared to a V6 Tacoma's 20mpg (and assume a high fuel price)... that is 3mpg at $3/g must gain that back with 467g of fuel.

At 105,000 miles @ 20mpg, the Tacoma would use 5250g and have a bump of 467g (ie 4,783).
At 105,000 miles @ 23mpg, the Honda would use 4565.
At 105,000 miles @ 22mpg, it would be a wash at 4772g vs 4,783

If fuel prices stay low...

Indeed. I didn't feel like doing out the math.

Tundra tops out at like 18mpg, BTW. Of course, most users of either vehicle will get less.

Ridge will drive and ride much better, and be vastly better in snow. My 2010 is something of a joke--first thing I do is disable TC when driving in snow. I'm sure 2016 has it better, but the VSC is aweful on mine.

Those trucks, are those 4 door models?

Surprised you didn't complain about how it didn't have low range nor 10k towing capacity while you were at it.

Originally Posted By: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com
Honda’s made a great truck for the practical buyer, but I’m afraid that customer might realize they’d be better off with an Accord and the occasional U-Haul rental.

Sometimes I like to do the math.

Yes, the trucks were 4 door equivalent options with a few add-ons etc, not the stripper single cabs. Maybe the Chevy is a little under estimated as I assumed they would discount it a bit more than others. Otherwise you could possibly get the frontier for under $19K. I kept the 4-bangers in the list because a lot of folks say they do not need the "pull" and go squint-eye when you compare it to a I4. Well, if you don't need it...

Still, the point is that the LEAST expensive starts at $29,400+900 Dest. That is my problem. 10K towing is not necessary but if you are spending 30K+, then dang, might as well right?

As for the snow... I guess if it is flat in your parts, then Hondas AWD will not let you down but on my hills, you don't want it. We don't get the accumulation but we get a lot of small events and ice (FYI we just got snow not to far from us this week).

Then again, the Honda is specing at $33K for AWD. Nissan sits at $26KL with a V6 and 4WD, About $28-30K for the Chevy. To put this in perspective, the AWD Ridgeline STARTS where the Accord tops out at with the Touring ($34K). Then I will hear that "It is a truck" but then I will say, not really. If you are charging $30K for the FWD vs $5-10K less for the RWD, that is a valid consideration for those living in the "atlanta suburbs".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back