citric acid flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a need for the flush? The flush is for cooling systems with problems.

I had to get it for a Mazda here in the shop. Mazda said to only use citric acid for flushing a cooling system. Thanks to being on here, I called the Mercedes dealer right away. My contact there said "whoa dude, I haven't had a call for that in years, but no we don't have it." I ended up getting a 5lb bag on Amazon for cheap, now we have a lifetime supply.

Citric acid is available at health food stores also. Works pretty darn good on old motorcycle fuel tanks too for removing rust and scale.

In the 70s I welded on Navy Frigets at Bath Iron Works, Bath, Me. All the piping systems were flushed with citrus acid after welding. The whole ship smelled like oranges for a while.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Is there a need for the flush? The flush is for cooling systems with problems.

Agree. If a 20 years old vehicle has original coolant then a flush is needed. I changed my 12 years old coolant in my S2000 few months ago, no flush was needed.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Citric acid is available at health food stores also. Works pretty darn good on old motorcycle fuel tanks too for removing rust and scale.

It's also available at your local grocery store. Lemi Shine machine cleaner, found with the dishwasher detergents.

Ed

Will have a chat to an industiral chemist tomorrow.

Funny story, but 25 years ago, one of my projects was to construct a CO2 storage (6 tonnes thermos style storage, not cryo), with evaporation to provide generator and PF mill inerting.

Was all brazed copper pipe, and massive oxide layer in the joints.

Chem clean company came in to clean the pipes on the cheap (as the supply Company said, they don't clean the oxide out in hospitals !!!)

Small above ground pool of citric acid, with a fire pump providing circulation as a batch tank.

Bloke shoves his hand in and tastes it..yeah, that's around 2...he was saving on test strips.

citric acid is used in foods, so not dangerous (except to your teeth) in itself. but the other nasty stuff in the CO2 tank is another matter...

Jetronic,
my next project in Construction was the hydrogen plant...Knowles cells with 2,000 amps running through cells filled with KOH and water, with a balance of densities in the demin make-up supply lines and the caustic tanks to stop them overflowing and the caustic eating your feet.

Once the hydrogen was made, it was pumped into cylinders around 3,000psi...

I was never comfortable around that stuff.

I wouldn't be either....

hydrogen is explosive in a very widerange of concentrations with air/oxygen...

I worked with NaOH before, not good if it ended up in your shoes or anywhere you weren't immediately aware. At least the HNO3, H2SO4, HCL and other acids started stinging your skin immediately and was gone after washing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back