Fram Ultra -vs- TRD Synthetic comparison photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that may be interested, I wanted to take some comparison photos of both the TRD oil filter and Fram Ultra for the late model 1.8L Toyota engine. This is the filter used in the current Toyota Prius, Corolla, Yaris, some Scion models, previous Matrix, etc etc. The OEM cellulose is allegedly 50% efficient at 20-microns... the TRD is 98% efficient at 20-microns... and the Fram Ultra is 99% efficient at 20-microns.

The TRD filter (made by Champion) is kind of a love:hate relationship. You'll notice the pleat spacing isn't very precise and they're pretty wavy right out of the box. In addition - the process of gluing/sewing the seam together resulted in some loss of media (see photo #2) - almost like a hole, but since it's on the glued seam - I'm not sure if it'd matter or not. The build quality is very solid (obviously) and the silicon gaskets at the top and bottom are an interesting addition unique to the Champion made filters (i.e. Amsoil), but they definitely add height to the filter as it's slightly longer than OEM and the Fram... so I'm not sure how that'd effect everything, but you'd want to watch your torquing and I could see it binding if you over-torque. It's also interesting that they decided to add a center-tube in the filter as all the 1.8L motors this would fit already have a tube built into the housing itself... and if you look at the last photo, you'll see the center tube actually results in less media depth -vs- the Fram or even the OEM cellulose.

The Fram Ultra build quality is excellent all around. They use the more traditional high-temp plastic endcaps. All pleats were evenly spaced and free of wavy distortion. The pleats also utilized the entire depth of the endcaps (versus the TRD which has the extra center tube). It's worth noting that the OEM cellulose filter is the same height as the Fram Ultra as well, so there should be no binding as you torque down the housing cap. Fit on the center tube was nice and snug, so there should be no slipping.

BOTH of them are Made in the USA!
34.gif
For what it's worth - I ended up using the Fram Ultra and will be returning the TRD.

Part Numbers:
Fram XG10358 - (purchased at Wal-Mart - $10.97)
Toyota PTR43-52090 (purchased at local Toyota dealer - $15.75)

IMG_0002_zpsxxutvw25.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsdmzgz2pv.jpg

IMG_0004_zpsokwcfwxl.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsf57zg6a4.jpg

IMG_0006_zps2rwkcs9j.jpg

Last edited:
I'd run the Fram, looks like a better constructed filter as well as being cheaper. It's interesting that they are made by the same parent company but clearly are not produced on the same production line.

Interesting design of a cartridge filter with metal end caps and silicone seals around the center tube. Both probably would have worked just fine, and both are close in efficiency, but the Ultra was a better value at the price paid.

I'd run a Champion-built filter built to better specs. That TRD is... a real trd. Champion do far better synthetic media filters for Royal Purple and Amsoil. If its available as a cartridge, that is... if not, Ultra by 10,000 miles.

If the current ULTRA's are actually 99.9% now I wonder if they are upgrading the other syn filters like the TRD, Amsoil, and RP?

What's funny is... based on photos I've seen online, the TRD filter looks identical to its Amsoil counterpart (EA15K01) which is also made by Champion. In some ways - it's definitely overbuilt with the Zinc end-caps and center tube... but in other ways - it looks really sloppy (the wavy and uneven pleats). I'm sure it's still completely servicable, but the thing that really took me back was rough looking seam. Is it really that hard to glue, crimp, and encapsulate like the Ultra does?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I'll take the TRD. Not a fan of Ultras.

Care to elaborate?

I had an XG9018 fail.

Get whatever is cheaper. The TRD is Champ made and very high quality/ efficiency, but truthfully, I dont see the point of them besides marketing.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'd run a Champion-built filter built to better specs. That TRD is... a real trd. Champion do far better synthetic media filters for Royal Purple

the TRD is virtually identical to the RP

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000

Care to elaborate?

I had an XG9018 fail.

Did you post on here? Care to elaborate?

That's a lot for a TRD, and that one looks like maybe it went through a few returns already due to it's messed up looks. I feel sorry for it (not really). The counter man keeps trying to get it sold. I wonder what another one would look like. They are a Toyota branded filter, so there should be no problem with the seen height difference, being an OE part. On an Ultra, wide pleats don't matter at all, after I cut one open and cut the mesh away, nothing is tearing that structure without tools. I do remember the Ultra plastic cap fail, and also Motorking once said they use metal caps on the Ultra due to the mesh. So they used plastic anyway it appears.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... also Motorking once said they use metal caps on the Ultra due to the mesh. So they used plastic anyway it appears.

The plastic end caps on that Ultra cartridge filter are hard plastic, so they have some rigidity for potting the layers of media and wire backed mess into the end cap. Fram could theoretically also use hard plastic end caps on the Ultra spin-on filters too if they wanted.

That's not what you said in your post showing the failure...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3367488/Fram_XG9018_@_~11,600_-_media_

The point is not that Ultras are junk. I still have a couple of Ultras I fully intend to use. The point is that any filter can fail, even one as tank-like as an Ultra. Something to keep in mind if one intends to really push the limits of a filter over two (or more) OCIs.

As you said yourself, any filter can fail. So what makes you think the same thing can't happen to the TRD?

The Fram obviously looks better but for applications using canisters like my '98 Tacoma I'll take the TRD. The 1" "K&N" nut comes in really handy because the filter is hard to reach and arthritis makes them a pain (literally) to hand tighten. You get the ease of use of a K&N but with synthetic media rated at 98% @20 microns.

For cartridge applications I'd just use the Fram.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... also Motorking once said they use metal caps on the Ultra due to the mesh. So they used plastic anyway it appears.

The plastic end caps on that Ultra cartridge filter are hard plastic, so they have some rigidity for potting the layers of media and wire backed mess into the end cap. Fram could theoretically also use hard plastic end caps on the Ultra spin-on filters too if they wanted.

Just going by what I remember motorking was saying, after being asked why does the ultra have metal and the other Frams don't. There are a couple threads about the hard plastic caps coming off, this is one, it had the other thread there also:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3930660/1

The TRD media should be the same as RP or Amsoil, don't hear much complaining about the media on those. The Fram Ultra has unbeatable media I would say. I still would probably run the standard Toyota cartridge on a Toyota and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back