(2) New Purolator L14610 ( cut open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problems to report. Pleats looked straight with no visible tears ( one filter has no metal crimp on the seam) and ADBV is nice and pliable, But I guess all that could change once the filter is in use. I bought these filter for my wife's 04 Accord V6 which we no longer own and I could have used these on her Pathfinder V8 but decided to dissect them instead.

Originally Posted By: Garak
At first glance, those don't look half bad at all.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
The media must tear after a certain saturation point....
I doubt you will find many torn new filters.

Originally Posted By: CT8
+1

Originally Posted By: CT8

+3

my local walmart had purolators on sale yesterday(different part numbers) for a buck and a half.
more like clearance.

i picked up 3 for now as i can use on 3 vehicles i own!

are these good for say 5 thousand miles use?

Last edited:
They look pretty good. Of course proof the pudding...

Weird though, one has a metal crimp and one doesn't. Odd.

If the non metal crimped one on left shows the seam pleat, I don't see/recognize it. That would be a good thing I guess.

Fwiw, every PL14610 and variant like the old AAP Total Grip used a metal seam crimp, and I've used and posted many here since joining. And never a tear with the 14610 application over substantial ocis. All used on Honda and Nissan. Maybe lucky or Honda/Nissan use not tough on the filter.

Thanks for pics.

i think purolator cut down on torn filters by slowing down the oil flow using super small oil holes on the center tube.... Yeah i know i sound like a broken record but it is what it is.
Use a quality filter and stop the worry!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i think purolator cut down on torn filters by slowing down the oil flow using super small oil holes on the center tube.... Yeah i know i sound like a broken record but it is what it is.

It is what it is, and its not an issue. The math doesn't add up for it to be an issue- take the cross section of each "super small" hole, multiply by the total number of holes in the center tube, and you'll still get a total area that's bigger than the cross section of the threaded filter mounting tube that all the oil has to flow thru on the way back into the engine. Small holes = better media support. The other extreme (big holes) is E-core, and nobody likes THAT either!

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Weird though, one has a metal crimp and one doesn't. Odd.

If the non metal crimped one on left shows the seam pleat, I don't see/recognize it. That would be a good thing I guess.

That is odd since they were both made at the same time, even the same shift. I can't tell where the seam is either on the filter on the left.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
IIRC, 14610s weren't high on the list of reported torn filters anyway, were they?

I had one PureOne and one regular Purolator both tear on me. That's the reason I stopped using them. Both right by the metal crimp. It's strange that these are both the same date code, but only one has the crimp???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

It is what it is, and its not an issue. The math doesn't add up for it to be an issue- take the cross section of each "super small" hole, multiply by the total number of holes in the center tube, and you'll still get a total area that's bigger than the cross section of the threaded filter mounting tube that all the oil has to flow thru on the way back into the engine. Small holes = better media support. The other extreme (big holes) is E-core, and nobody likes THAT either!

If the cross section of all the louvered slits adds up to more than the cross section of all holes in the old center tube design, then the velocity of oil through each slit will be less than the velocity of the oil through each hole in the old center tube design.

That would help to more evenly distribute and slow down the oil flow velocity through the media right next to the louvered openings in the center tube.

I don't think the Purolator tearing problem was due to the center tube design with the round holes since they never had a tearing issue until something else changed, like the media brittleness and the wide pleat spacing near the seam - which I think was the main problem. Purolator could have changed the center tube design to help reduce the chances of tearing by trying to distribute the flow through the media a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back