ZDDP + MoS2 on engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if ZDDP+MoS2 is worse than ZDDP+PTFE that some mention may be better than MoS2 alone on engine oil ? Appreciate if someone can explain why ZDDP + MoS2 is not preferred besides it poisons the catalyst ? Thank you.

Where ZDDP is concerned, it is arguably better to use an engine oil that already comes with preferred levels of ZDDP, as opposed to messing with the formulation of an existing oil.

Thank you, I agree not to mess the oil formulation especially on newer car. however on this case, the mixture is to address the high mileage engine that start consuming oil. since the MoS2, MOS and 5w-40 oil alone does not really reduce the oil consumption and seems makes the engine sound worse (for MOS), i have tried to add the MoS2 on the current oil. Interestingly the sound and mpg getting better, however just wonder if there is really problem to mix those two in the oil.

On Fast & Loud they used plain oil (O'Reilly?) and a ZDDP additive to break in a rebuilt engine.In short order it had issues and metal shavings were found.The engine had to be torn down again and that time they used "Proper" break in oil (some off brand performance oil) and had no issue.They seemed to blame the oil,but I bet there was more to that story.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
On Fast & Loud they used plain oil (O'Reilly?) and a ZDDP additive to break in a rebuilt engine.In short order it had issues and metal shavings were found.The engine had to be torn down again and that time they used "Proper" break in oil (some off brand performance oil) and had no issue.They seemed to blame the oil,but I bet there was more to that story.

Here's what they used...I was appalled.
IMG_07061.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back