[Cut Open] New SuperTech ST9688

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this guy sitting on the shelf at Walmart sporting the "USA Made" Tag. For $2.88 I couldn't resist the urge to open one up and take a look. Enjoy!

Can
OD 2.57"
Height 3.40"

Gasket
OD 2.51"
ID 2.20"
Thickness 0.23"

Filter Media
OD 2.34"
Height 2.21"

Filter Media Cut
20"x2.125"
42.5 in2

IMG_1167_zps1kmkgkmf.jpg

IMG_1168_zpsjq6jxscu.jpg

IMG_1141_zpsjgawdwtw.jpg

IMG_1145_zps3463cbpp.jpg

IMG_1142_zpsyapjkirl.jpg

IMG_1148_zps37zf14tb.jpg

IMG_1149_zpscpsrjy88.jpg

IMG_1150_zpszmooe4xa.jpg

IMG_1155_zpsuhvrnyhc.jpg

IMG_1166_zpsueuhticv.jpg

IMG_1158_zpssh3le9uc.jpg

IMG_1157_zpsjzgdqcix.jpg

IMG_1152_zpsuix5etwk.jpg

IMG_1153_zps1ruviwna.jpg

Nice dissection pics. Element looks decent and this one uses dome bypass. Take it over the shorty 6607 which uses a combo valve. For $2.88 looks to be a serviceable 3-5k mi. oci value tier filter imo. This is the 7317 equivalent size.

Thanks for pics of the internals.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
95% @ 29 microns yikes!

Estimated to be ~70% @ 20 microns. Better than some OEMs.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
95% @ 29 microns yikes!

A lot better as it turns out. This clip was from a a Honda Technical bulletin.

beta.jpg

95% @ 29 microns yikes!

Some, but definitely not all.

I bought a super tech filter also and took it apart and basically saw the same thing.. I took a number of pictures i will send to car 51 to post but your pictures are better ...I did notice that the media felt a lot easier to tear than an older ocod or even an older Bosch or an a/c i have pictures of them all. I only tried to tear one super tech so until i see a couple of more i really can't say too much. I will say other then that the build quality seems very good like most Wix products.

So up to 25% of the parts can be made in China, and still be called made in USA with a flag and all. I don't know about that. I bet it is 24.999% made in China or Mexico. Mexico is probably OK, at least it helps both sides.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I did notice that the media felt a lot easier to tear than an older ocod or even an older Bosch or an a/c

that's very interesting.

I'm wondering, if it would be possible to build a simple "tearometer" that would measure the force required to tear, say, a 1/4" strip of the filter media.

Quote:
I'm wondering, if it would be possible to build a simple "tearometer" that would measure the force required to tear, say, a 1/4" strip of the filter media.

But the real test would be how hard it is to tear soaked in hot oil after 5-10k miles. Personally, after my various personal tear downs of used filters the silicone ADBV is a requirement, especially in the winter. Another thing I wonder about is the sealing of the bypass valve--most I have seen don't look like they make a very good seal, and it is hard to say if they actually open when they say they should.

Originally Posted By: akela
I did notice that the media felt a lot easier to tear than an older ocod or even an older Bosch or an a/c

that's very interesting.

A simple pull test would be very easy to setup and perform.

The key would be how the media should be prepped. Soak in an oil water mix or just soak it in water and then do the pull test.

Compare all the filter media with respect to pull strength.

The results might be interesting.

Originally Posted By: CarbonCrew
95% @ 29 microns yikes!

A lot better as it turns out. This clip was from a a Honda Technical bulletin.

beta.jpg

Several sources of information show both Honda and Toyota are in the flow over filtration camp. On paper this looks bad, but the top 10 cars rated by Consumer Reports that will likely make 200k are all Toyota or Honda made. I'd be more concerned about capacity and flow myself. That's what makes synthetic media filters so nice. You get high filtration, high flow, and high capacity due to the very nature of synthetic media. I'm not going to spend $40-50k on a vehicle and then save $5 once or twice a year on a cheap filter no matter who makes it.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: akela

that's very interesting.

A simple pull test would be very easy to setup and perform.

The key would be how the media should be prepped. Soak in an oil water mix or just soak it in water and then do the pull test.

Compare all the filter media with respect to pull strength.

The results might be interesting.

I'd expect comparative "dry" test to be well-correlated with "oiled". That is, if media A is weaker than media B when dry, it is likely also to be weaker if oiled.

I guess oil manufacturers have this equipment and perform such tests. They wouldn't share the results though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back