VW/Audi G052911A2 - what is it? Something lighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'd stick with OE Castrol Syntrans 75w GL-4.

Are you saying that the OE Audi G 052 911 A2 fluid is relabeled Castrol Syntrans FE 75W? The specs on this show it to be about the thinnest fluid of any mentioned in this thread and if that is true there is no light at the end of the tunnel for my cold shifting issue.

Originally Posted By: ringmaster

Are you saying that the OE Audi G 052 911 A2 fluid is relabeled Castrol Syntrans FE 75W? The specs on this show it to be about the thinnest fluid of any mentioned in this thread and if that is true there is no light at the end of the tunnel for my cold shifting issue.

It actually may in fact be the 75w-90 version of Syntrans.
HOWEVER, could also be a synthetic blend and not completely synthetic. As it is bottled to the specs VW/Audi requests.

I would try Syntrans FE 75w. It IS completely
synthetic.

Last edited:

It actually may in fact be the 75w-90 version of Syntrans.
HOWEVER, could also be a synthetic blend and not completely synthetic. As it is bottled to the specs VW/Audi requests.

I would try Syntrans FE 75w. It IS completely
synthetic.

I can't find any local suppliers that stock Castrol Syntrans FE 75W. Spec for spec the closest Plan B is Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75W - thoughts?

Quote:

I can't find any local suppliers that stock Castrol Syntrans FE 75W. Spec for spec the closest Plan B is Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75W - thoughts?

Febi-Bilstein is a good alternative
It meets all specs perfectly and is 75w GL-4. Which is a better alternative to the GL-5 spec for a synchronized gearbox.

Available through Amazon.com
amazon.com

Last edited:
Is it possible that the FE 75W is thicker at -40C than the 75W-80???

Dynamic Viscosity at -40ºC DIN 51398 37,000 mPas

vs

Dynamic Viscosity at - 40ºC DIN 51398 75,000 mPas

Id say that at the same temperature, the one definitely is more viscous than the other.

Also remember that this is a different value than the standard kinematic viscosity.

backup_200203_KinemVisc-Fig3.gif

After doing some research, RP's synchromax has some impressive cold properties:

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_Synchromax.pdf

cP @-20C = 1050
cP @-40C = 8430
Pour Point = -66F (that seems crazy low from what I can find)

I noticed Fuchs 75W is Mineral Oil and not synthetic as per the MSDS. This baffles me as it is a lifetime fluid. Apparently not all thin MTFs are created the same.

I forgot to check Pentosin MTF2. Its pour point is -76F!!!! WOW.

Last edited:
a couple of other pour points of fluids mentioned in this thread:

Fuchs 75W = -44C (-47F)
Castrol Syntrans 75W = -51C (-60F)
Febi-Bilstein 75W = -42C (-44F)

I'm happy to check out some others if anyone wants.

I have spent a few hours searching and still haven't come up with a 100% conclusive answer as to what weight the factory recommended G052911A2 fluid actually is. Some say it is a 75W-90, the Fuchs online app guide recommends their Sintopoid 75W-90, someone else suggested it is relabelled Castrol Syntrans Z 75W-80 and others suggest it might be even lighter than that. Amazing how hard it is to nail down the truth!

If G052911A2 really is around 10cst @100C should I be worried about using a fluid that is around 7cst @100C? FWIW I don't take this car to the race track and will always change the fluid every ~20k miles.

This is a list of the light weight MTFs that are readily available in my area. An advice as to which should provide the best sub-zero shifting performance?

Pentosin MTF 2 GL-4
PP -60C
@40C 38.3 mm2/s
@100C 7.7 mm2/s
VI 177

Febi-Bilstein #21829 75W GL-4
??
??
??
??

Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75W GL-4
PP -44C
@40C 40.8 mm2/s
@100C 6.7mm2/s
VI 119

Royal Purple Syncromax
PP -54C
@40C 38cst
@100C 7.7cst
VI 175

just look at the pour points I posted above.

Pentosin is clearly on a different level. No, it won't harm anything. I can tell you with 100% certainty your OEM fluid is not a 75W-90 fluid despite your owner's manual telling you differently. There have been UOAs done on factory VW/Audi MTFs and they always come back super thin (less than 8 cSt).

I have spent a few hours searching and still haven't come up with a 100% conclusive answer as to what weight the factory recommended G052911A2 fluid actually is. Some say it is a 75W-90, the Fuchs online app guide recommends their Sintopoid 75W-90, someone else suggested it is relabelled Castrol Syntrans Z 75W-80 and others suggest it might be even lighter than that. Amazing how hard it is to nail down the truth!

I know one person that seems to be very informed about
VW/Audi processes stated that the only true way to know exactly what is in that specific car is to have the VIN number and enter it into
the VW proprietary data system. It will give all kinds of nitty gritty details on that specific vehicle, it could even be that
during a production run a change was made on the fly from
a 75w-80 mineral gear oil to a 75w synthetic oil because testing found that driveability was improved. This will be noted and it will tell the dealer which fluid brand and weight was used.

Update - Changed to Pentosin MTF-2 and the hard shifting when cold has improved at least 50% or more! It is also a bit smoother and requires less effort when hot. No other changes noted and it sounds the same. Happy
smile.gif

Update - Changed to Pentosin MTF-2 and the hard shifting when cold has improved at least 50% or more! It is also a bit smoother and requires less effort when hot. No other changes noted and it sounds the same. Happy
smile.gif

Great news!

More than likely Pentosin MTF-2 is a OEM vendor for VW and Audi applications like yours, the other alternate vendor is
Castrol Syntrans FE 75w.

Great to hear that the Pentosin MTF-2 is excellent!

They are a first class lubricant company in Germany and well known around Western Europe, but for some reason they fly under the radar in the aftermarket at least in the USA.

Last edited:
I've got an even more obscure VW spec:
G 052 527 A2

I'm hoping to verify my transmission code to see if that helps at all. I have a 5MT and have no idea if its new or an old unit still in use.

I've seen anywhere from a 6.4 to 9.4 100*C fluid recommended for this spec.

Currently I've narrowed it down to either the Pentosin MTF2 or the ROWE HIGHTEC TOPGEAR FE SAE 75W-80 S
http://pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_MTF-2.pdf
http://rowe-mineraloel.com/io/downloads/...028-11-2012.pdf

They are both 7.7 @ 100*C, which I like as a middle ground in between the 6.X and 9.X fluids. MTF2 has VI 177, ROWE calculates to 165 (not much info, no PP listed).

The ROWE data sheet states PAO and ester base, which is nice. The MTF2's specs hint at a quality base also.

The one that may win over? - ROWE specifically lists for use in G052 527. Under warranty this may be the decider.

I'm just looking for a good fluid for an early drain at 5k to get out break in metals. Then it will be extended intervals (VW says lifetime for these, of course).

Sites that carry the VW 052 527 OEM fluid are $85 after shipping. And I have no idea what fluid/viscosity I'm actually getting.
I can get the ROWE for $47 (germanautoparts) or the MTF2 for $38 from Amazon.

VW has to be the most confusing, convoluted spec list for ATF and MTF ever. They seem to change on a whim, sometimes backspec'ing. Most UOA on factory stuff are quite thin. I'd like to keep thin for MPG, too, as I'm not abusing this thing.
If I can find a cheap UOA kit, it seems worth taking a sample at 5k. Most UOAs seem to be from 6 speeds in GTIs or TDIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back