Castrol GTX Magnatec vs EDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I will be using Castrol's GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic 5w20 now that my service agreement has run its course. My question is how is this oil different from Edge 5w20. Over thinking?

Originally Posted By: 5170
Hello all,

I will be using Castrol's GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic 5w20 now that my service agreement has run its course. My question is how is this oil different from Edge 5w20. Over thinking?

Looking at it's price, my gut says it's probably not quite as "ROBUST". Which, in general terms, means in my Civic I'd be OK running it 7500-10K miles or 1 year. That's not scientific. I'd also run Edge for 7500-10K miles or 1 years. Why? Because I need at least one weekend in the garage away from the family.

Castrol's GTX Magnatec is similar to Mobil Super Synthetic, while Castrol Edge is similar to Mobil 1.

Either Magnatec or Super Synthetic are good for 8-10k miles, but for longer OCI then Edge and M1 is a better choice for a little more $.

There doesn't seem to be any definitive answer on this that I can find. Surely both are mostly group III base oil. We know Magnatec has esters in it which are the "intelligent molecules". I wouldn't be surprised to find that Edge also has esters in its formula.

My guess would be the additive package, but until we see a VOA on the Magnatec that is unknown (PQIA has a 5w20 Edge VOA on its site).

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
There doesn't seem to be any definitive answer on this that I can find. Surely both are mostly group III base oil. We know Magnatec has esters in it which are the "intelligent molecules". I wouldn't be surprised to find that Edge also has esters in its formula.

My guess would be the additive package, but until we see a VOA on the Magnatec that is unknown (PQIA has a 5w20 Edge VOA on its site).

Me either. I would figure only the Extended Performance and 0w40 have significant amounts of PAO after some reading here.

I heard an ad on the radio today for the new GTX.

I know GTX has been considered a good oil for a long time.

Is the cost savings worth going with that over Edge, or Super over M1?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

If your OCI is less than 8-10k with a clean engine then Magnatec and Super are good enough. But if you like some extra margin for probably a little longer OCI or you think that your driving is semi-severe, then Edge and Mobil 1 are better choice for few dollar more.
$5-6 dollar every 10k miles is less than a dime every 100 miles, the gasoline cost for this distance can be as much as $10, then a dime is almost nothing.

It isnt GTX, but GTX Magnatec Synthetic we're discussing.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If your OCI is less than 8-10k with a clean engine then Magnatec and Super are good enough. But if you like some extra margin for probably a little longer OCI or you think that your driving is semi-severe, then Edge and Mobil 1 are better choice for few dollar more.
$5-6 dollar every 10k miles is less than a dime every 100 miles, the gasoline cost for this distance can be as much as $10, then a dime is almost nothing.

The only Edge I'd run for 10k or more is the 0w-30/40 or Edge Extended Protection. Otherwise I'd run Edge and Magnatec at what ever my manufacturers recommended intervals are if they both meet the required specifications.

Last edited:
We know Magnatec has esters in it which are the "intelligent molecules"...

We know this, do we?

Originally Posted By: weasley

We know this, do we?
The marketing says so !

I like Magnatec no doubt. It does run very quiet and the typical Hyundia/KIA start up racket is a little less to my ear. The price is already creeping up though.
frown.gif

I think 7k is about as far as I'd push it without a UOA, although there are some very good showing on UOA's here for Magnatec at longish intervals.

Have not run Edge in quite a while.

Originally Posted By: weasley

We know this, do we?

Yes, actually Castrol has been quoted many times about using esters in their oil. Years ago they refereed to this as "unique molecular bonding" and even went so far as to demonstrate in an ad campaign that they would drain out Castrol Syntec to demonstrate that less would drain out compared to their competitors because the oil was "bonding" to the metal parts in the engine. Here is an example of a quote from a 2004 press release.

“The polarized ester molecules in Castrol GTX Start Up cling to an engine’s metal surfaces to provide advanced anti-wear protection.” “The polarized ester molecules in Castrol GTX Start Up cling to an engine’s metal surfaces to provide advanced anti-wear protection.”

Castrol Spokesperson
Kimberly Lancaster

You can of course look this up yourself, or not...I don't care either way.

Thank you BikeWhisperer,

That may be a whole lot of marketing except for the fact that she included the use of "ester" in their oil. I'm happy with my choice.

Thanks all for replying

Yes, actually Castrol has been quoted many times about using esters in their oil. Years ago they refereed to this as "unique molecular bonding" and even went so far as to demonstrate in an ad campaign that they would drain out Castrol Syntec to demonstrate that less would drain out compared to their competitors because the oil was "bonding" to the metal parts in the engine. Here is an example of a quote from a 2004 press release.

“The polarized ester molecules in Castrol GTX Start Up cling to an engine’s metal surfaces to provide advanced anti-wear protection.” “The polarized ester molecules in Castrol GTX Start Up cling to an engine’s metal surfaces to provide advanced anti-wear protection.”

Castrol Spokesperson
Kimberly Lancaster

You can of course look this up yourself, or not...I don't care either way.

That was 12 years ago! Things change. Have you looked for anything recent that says this?

I like Castrol products a lot, and Magnatec is a good product that from all reports does what it says and bonds to metal surfaces. It definitely once used esters, but I believe the formulation has been updated, but still has the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back