Bosch Distance plus filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Wally world today to buy oil and a filter for the Elantra.
I usually get a Fram Tough Guard but they were out of them.
So I picked up the last Fram Ultra and as I always do I opened the box to make sure the right filter was in there and to inspect it. The filter did not look too good to me. Looked a little sloppy made.
So I passed and got a Bosch Distance plus for a dollar more then the Ultra.
So with the Bosch and Valvoline Syntec the wife is good for 8K miles which will take about a year.

I've said it before they are great filters but costing more than the Ultra is a deal breaker since it's not microglass media. It's still high end if you ask me though.

What did you not like about the Ultra? Was the sure grip too uneven or something?

Originally Posted By: marine65
...So with the Bosch and Valvoline Syntec the wife is good for 8K miles which will take about a year.

'In my experience ' with the BD+3323 over a longer time frame and two ocis, the answer would be yes. Running second one from same lot now for Honda 5-15% MM oci.

I went to Wally world today to buy oil and a filter for the Elantra.
I usually get a Fram Tough Guard but they were out of them.
So I picked up the last Fram Ultra and as I always do I opened the box to make sure the right filter was in there and to inspect it. The filter did not look too good to me. Looked a little sloppy made.
So I passed and got a Bosch Distance plus for a dollar more then the Ultra.
So with the Bosch and Valvoline Syntec the wife is good for 8K miles which will take about a year.
You've offended the feather merchants by not bowing to Fram.

The Bosch D+ is rated at 40 microns for efficiency. I have one on my car now, last Purolator product I will buy. I didn't notice the rating when I bought it a couple years ago, believing their best should be the best. What was seen sloppy on the Fram Ultra?

The D+ is OK, when they were first introduced I ran a couple on the Dodge, they were good, and VERY HEAVY-you won't poke a hole in one by accident, for sure.

Hard to explain what was sloppy but I'll try.
When i looked at the part of the filter with the little holes it looked like glue lines where it all was put together.
Also the threads were very rough.
I have used the Ultra filter many times and this one just wasn't right to me.
Even Fram can make a bad one.
I just did not like the look of it.

Last edited:
^^^ Yep, every filter brand can have a few duds ... and that's why it always pays to inspect any filter before purchasing.

I like Fram very much, but lately there is a lot of glue residue being left on the face plate of the filter, when I called there tech line they say leave it or if I can than scratch it off with a screwdriver (which is double talk in my opinion).
It would be great if Fram can correct the sloppy glue issues.

Though not the specific question asked, since the BD+ efficiency was broached, just as a point of comparison, if the OP were to choose the Hyundia/Kia OEM spin on, that efficiency would be rated ~99%>50um. So 'if' it even matters to some, the BD+ is still better the OEM used/recommended by the manufacturer, and from my observations seem to be favored by many H/K owners here. Same goes for if used on a Honda, still significantly better than the oem A02.

'Just one anecdote' but I've got over 235k miles on a now well worn 01 Civic using all kinds of oil filters including many PL14610 same micron level rating, engine will likely outlast the rest of vehicle's parts and pieces. Already has many of those in fact.

But the specific question, again IME the BD+ would be up the queried oci/fci.

The main point of my post was that the Fram just didn't look right.
I run synthetic oil in both of my cars for 7k to 8k miles.
And I think any premium filter be it Fram,Wix,Bosch or you name it will go the distance and do it's job.

When i looked at the part of the filter with the little holes it looked like glue lines where it all was put together.

You have the right to like/buy what ever you like, nobody can force you to buy something else. I agree with you that a defective filter is possible for any company.

But, I have a question for you: You used Fram Ultra before and you like to buy an Ultra this time, but the one you opened in store didn't look right, you didn't open another one or they only had one on the shelf ?

I bought some Fram Ultra filter from Pep Boys, I opened all the boxes and check every one of them carefully. All were in good condition. I did the same with Wix filters too.

Nothing wrong with a Bosch Distance Plus filter.

FRAM can make some messed up filters sometimes.

It's FRAM's heavy value engineering coupled with poor QC that bothers me most.

Would you buy a D+ over a Purolator Boss? Same company, same price, but different media.

And of course, the D+ never had tearing issues
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You have the right to like/buy what ever you like, nobody can force you to buy something else. I agree with you that a defective filter is possible for any company.

But, I have a question for you: You used Fram Ultra before and you like to buy an Ultra this time, but the one you opened in store didn't look right, you didn't open another one or they only had one on the shelf ?

I bought some Fram Ultra filter from Pep Boys, I opened all the boxes and check every one of them carefully. All were in good condition. I did the same with Wix filters too.

The one I looked at was the last Fram Ultra on the shelf that fit my car.
And I will buy one again if it looks OK.

Just went with the same Bosh Filter from Walmart. Same part number, too. I was in a pinch and went with that one since they had no FRAM XG filters available and the one I picked looked well built. The filter is also heavy, much heavier than the supertech filter which is a good sign.

Still, I always recommend Hyundai filters if you can get them as they are solid filters.

I am happy to report that the Bosch Distance Plus filter has been on my Elantra for a week and the engine has not blown up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back