DELVAC 1 ESP vs. Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new to this forum. I see that Mobil is selling Delvac 1 and Turbo Diesel Synthetic Truck oil both in 5W-40. Does anyone here know the difference? Mobil's site does not make it clear to me. Any insights into this are appreciated.
Thanks!

Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is the flagship product, meeting a variety of medium and heavy duty manufacturer specs. TDT is the 'lesser cousin' and meets a variety of medium duty specs.

From the data sheets, flashpoint is the biggest difference I can see. I suspect TDT is a group 3 oil while D1 ESP is a group 5 and 5 oil.

D1 ESP is the better oil, but depending on the application, it won't matter.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
TDT is a group III? That should make Chevron happy.

Delo competes with Delvac. Chevron's 15w40 (Group II+) and 5w40 (Group III or III+) are both excellent oils.

I actually haven't tried it yet.
wink.gif
Delvac 1 is hard to beat by price or specification.

Hard to beat doesn't mean can't be beat.
If the synthetic component of TDT is group III, then Mobil is saying; "If you can't beat them, join them" eh?

Last edited:
Well, the Delvac 1 ESP is Group IV and some V; TDT diverged from Delvac 1 when CJ-4 came out. Of course, up here, as you're well aware, TDT is essentially unaffordable. Walmart and CT might as well just slap a $1000 price tag on it.

With diesel specifications, the only oil I've seen with more specifications met and certifications and formal builder approvals obtained than Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is Delvac 1 LE 5w-30. Castrol's competing version to the 5w-30 isn't dual rated. Shell and Petro-Canada haven't even started in the E6 market in North America.

Go to either of their web sites, pick a country, pick a language and pick a product. RDS and Suncor both contract to private labels and are licensed to supply package and deliver fuel and lubricants to commercial marine, air and land customers.

TDT is what it is. A CJ-4 5w40. I don't think anyone with a fleet class 8 trucks is going to pick up 10 one gallon jugs of it at a time at WM for a single oil change on one truck.

I would be interested in the retail numbers of CT or WM sales of TDT. Why should they lower the price, nobody is buying drums of it?

No, no commercial customer is likely to buy TDT at a Canadian Walmart, that's for sure. In the States, with U.S. pricing, it's certainly possible, but not here.

What perplexes me is that while normal M1 will go on sale, be it single litres or the jugs, I cannot recall a single sale on TDT at our Walmarts or Canadian Tire. I can't see them moving a lot of it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
No, no commercial customer is likely to buy TDT at a Canadian Walmart, that's for sure. In the States, with U.S. pricing, it's certainly possible, but not here. What perplexes me is that while normal M1 will go on sale, be it single litres or the jugs, I cannot recall a single sale on TDT at our Walmarts or Canadian Tire. I can't see them moving a lot of it.
As a non-commercial customer, I would not buy it either. Plenty of other choices which are just as good for much cheaper. In fact, had it not been for the black Friday specials at Pepboys on Delvac 1 ESP, I would not have any Mobil HDEOs in my stash. Mobil is much more expensive than other brands (at least in the Houston area).

Here, they do well, except in stores.
wink.gif
I don't think Imperial oil will sell me TDT, and as we've compared in the past, I often spend less on Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 than would an American, which is extremely odd, given what we normally pay. Imperial Oil sells their HDEOs at decent prices. I suppose if they want to sell any, long haul truckers won't put up with the nonsense and will get service done elsewhere, including the States. Farmers won't tolerate it, either. Shell and Petro-Canada do fairly well on HDEO pricing, but Imperial Oil really gives decent value.

I still wonder how much TDT that Walmart Canada or CT really move.

Hi. Also new to the forum (been lurking forever) and am interested in the op's question - what's the difference between Delvac and TDT?

I have a 2015 6.7 Powerstroke and just changed to TDT from Motorcraft 10/30 semi syn (second oil change). TDT is not readily available here but Delvac is. Can I use either oil or is one better for my engine?

Either should work for your application. Delvac has more specifications and can usually be obtained more cheaply from Imperial Oil than M1 TDT can at retail locations. The Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 has higher end base stocks, as well, not that it matters a whole lot. But, there is no reason to buy a product with "lesser" base stocks for more money.

Thanks. I'm getting the impression that Mobil TDT is a marketing exercise more than a better product. I'll keep this in mind at the next oil change time and go with Delvac instead.

TDT would defiantly be a marketing exercise, especially if it contains group III synthetic that is a Chevron licensed product.

Pet-Can's plant in Ontario was the 2nd such in NA.

Not that it matters much, the base oil composition, the product is CJ-4/SN.

Depending on where you live in BC, 5W40 season is over until fall.

Watch for sales on your favorite brands of CJ-4 15W40.
Sometimes retail beats the bulk dealer's price on single pails.

Last edited:
Been stocking up on gallon jugs of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 when on sale at Napa for $21.99 plus Mobil's $12 off per gallon rebate. Would not buy if having to pay full price. Right now NAPA has it for $32.29 a gallon. Have seen it as high as $84.92 online...would go elsewhere for oil at those higher prices. Looking forward to my first UOA using this oil.

Considering that virtually all diesel OEM's are now factory filling with 10w30 now, that should tell you if you need a 5w40. I am using a 10w30 syn blend in a 2000 Detroit 60 12.7L that is 540,000 miles into the factory reman on the motor. As good or better UOA's than I ever got with a 40w oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back