Rustproofing a truck frame repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found 3 fist sized rust holes in the frame of my 98 Toyota Tacoma. Luckily, a nearby weld shop is going to form up some heavy steel channels and weld them over the frame rails. After spending 350 bucks on the repair, I want this to last. What is a good spray on rustproofer for inside and outside the frame? The fluid film kit with special gun and one gallon of product is $150 plus tax. Given that the truck will last about another 6 years, is there a cheaper, effective alternative to spending over $150?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I would spray the inside with Fluid Film in an aerosol can using their optional spray nozzle/hose to get into those deep tight spaces.

For the outside of the frame, I think something that resists water washout like Amsoil MPHD would be good.

If you are only planning to rust proof the repaired spot, 1 can of each is more than enough. It should cost at the most around $50.

Eastwood's Corroless anti-rust paint is pretty stout. I've used that on frames and floor boards before. Once dry you could put a spray on undercoating over it. I've always brushed the Corroless on but it could probably be sprayed. Their POR-15 is good too but requires a lot more prep work. I had some of that stuff spill out into a tray by mistake. It's nearly impossible to get it off - hard as a rock.

I'm going to be patching the rear frame on the Cherokee soon - well, welding a new "frame" in, I guess - and I'm going to go crazy with the fluid film!

You need to install a slow oil leak upwind of your frame... Amazing how well that worked on one side of my old Neon.
Even the CRV which just has a terrible oil filter location which results in lots of spillage every 5k miles, has one side of the front sub frame looking new, and the other side quite rusty.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I found 3 fist sized rust holes in the frame of my 98 Toyota Tacoma. Luckily, a nearby weld shop is going to form up some heavy steel channels and weld them over the frame rails. After spending 350 bucks on the repair, I want this to last. What is a good spray on rustproofer for inside and outside the frame? The fluid film kit with special gun and one gallon of product is $150 plus tax. Given that the truck will last about another 6 years, is there a cheaper, effective alternative to spending over $150?

Drive up to Canada and I'll do it for you, just provide the fluid film. I've got the gun and compressor.

All I ask is you pick me up two gallons of FF from Napa. I'll pay you for them!

Originally Posted By: JC1

Drive up to Canada and I'll do it for you, just provide the fluid film. I've got the gun and compressor.

All I ask is you pick me up two gallons of FF from Napa. I'll pay you for them!

I have watched the CarWell shop and its more involved than a gun and compressor.

Sadly no, that expired years ago for this year truck. I called the dealer and gave them my VIN. No dice.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have watched the CarWell shop and its more involved than a gun and compressor.

What else do they do besides drill access holes the doors to spray inside the door panels and rear trunk or hatch? They also spray the under carriage, wheel wells etc.

I had my vehicles done at Krown and Rust Check in my town. They did a terrible job (missed panels), didn't spray that much fluid in the front door panels of my wife's hatchback 97 civic. I decided to buy the FF gun and gallon of FF and do it myself.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to bite the bullet and order the Fluid Film sprayer and one gallon of FF. If I can keep driving my truck for the next 6 years for a total of $500 for frame welding and Fluid Film, that is a good deal. I will spray the frame yearly to keep the rust in check.

Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to bite the bullet and order the Fluid Film sprayer and one gallon of FF. If I can keep driving my truck for the next 6 years for a total of $500 for frame welding and Fluid Film, that is a good deal. I will spray the frame yearly to keep the rust in check.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

I got the Fluid Film at Napa (it was under $40).
http://www.napaonline.com/p/FFQCNAS

If you're really serious about it you may want to re-read Trav's post above. Then all you'll need to do is apply the FF down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back