Mixed messaging from Mobil on mixing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Aren't all Mobil oils blends? M1 is a mix of mineral oil,pao,and ester (as shown by their mds) all mixing would do is water down one of the other,or both.

A bit misleading. The mineral oil you mention is not dino out of a bottle of dino that the OP is talking about. It is a grp 3, PAO, and ester.

Messages aren't really mixed in this case IMO, they aren't telling you you can't they can't advise you TO mix.

They are compatible, miscible, and won't lead to a pile of failed engines at the side of the road.

They won't guarantee that if your car specs (for example) Dexos that it meets dexos in a mix. SN requires two SN oils to be miscible, but doesn't guarantee that the brew will meet all of the tests of SN when made.

I've only ever heard one BITOGer who was (allegedly) met with "go your hardest, it will be a great result" when talking to Mobil about mixing products to obtain a result.

Advice I've recieved from Penrite (Australia) was that their race oils are intended to be mixed for fine tuning, their regular brands CAN be mixed to no ill effect as they are the same chemistry, and they recommend not to cross the product streams as they are different chemistries.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is Mobil going to discontinue their synth blend products?

Why ?

their syn blends are an engineered product with a mix of basestocks.

They are not recommending in favour of mixing already completed engine oils.

It's not that tricky.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
they recommend not to cross the product streams

Listen! Can you smell that?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Aren't all Mobil oils blends? M1 is a mix of mineral oil,pao,and ester (as shown by their mds) all mixing would do is water down one of the other,or both.

A bit misleading. The mineral oil you mention is not dino out of a bottle of dino that the OP is talking about. It is a grp 3, PAO, and ester.

I wonder if M1 is using that dose of grp III as the "carrier oil"? Or am I completely way off here :p The way I understand it,you can't have a 100% pao or ester,right? Most of the petroleum technical stuff goes way over my head!

So I'm guessing in layman's terms,M1 is a grp IV/V base oil w/grp III as the carrier?

I wonder if M1 is using that dose of grp III as the "carrier oil"? Or am I completely way off here :p The way I understand it,you can't have a 100% pao or ester,right? Most of the petroleum technical stuff goes way over my head!

So I'm guessing in layman's terms,M1 is a grp IV/V base oil w/grp III as the carrier?

Tom NJ may be able to explain this. However M1s base is proprietary, so we can't be sure what the blended base is in it's entirety.

Advice I've recieved from Penrite (Australia) was that their race oils are intended to be mixed for fine tuning, their regular brands CAN be mixed to no ill effect as they are the same chemistry, and they recommend not to cross the product streams as they are different chemistries.

That applies, too, with the Mobil products. The conventional and the blend (Super 1000 and Super 2000 in Canada) are sodium based, whereas the Mobil 1 (and Delvac and Delvac 1) lines are all different.

Tom NJ may be able to explain this. However M1s base is proprietary, so we can't be sure what the blended base is in it's entirety.

GrIII would make a pretty poor carrier, as all of the things that made the GrI carrier useful back in the day are amputated in the hydroisomerisation.

Messages aren't really mixed in this case IMO, they aren't telling you you can't they can't advise you TO mix.

They are compatible, miscible, and won't lead to a pile of failed engines at the side of the road.

They won't guarantee that if your car specs (for example) Dexos that it meets dexos in a mix. SN requires two SN oils to be miscible, but doesn't guarantee that the brew will meet all of the tests of SN when made.

I've only ever heard one BITOGer who was (allegedly) met with "go your hardest, it will be a great result" when talking to Mobil about mixing products to obtain a result.

Makes total sense. Not sure what is so hard to understand about t his "mixing" issue.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is Mobil going to discontinue their synth blend products?

Don't worry, one person here picked up on the sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back