Camry vs Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

With a 90 minute commute each way, I am looking to a midsize upgrade for better legroom over my Corolla (plus a car that knows the word acceleration).

I'm looking to go gently used (maybe certified), 2013 or 2014 with 20-30k miles.

Accord and Altima are out due to CVT, do not like Mazda or Ford. 4-cylinder is a requirement since my commute is heavily stop-and-go. I'm down to either a basic entry-level Sonata (SE/GLS) or Camry (LE). I have test-driven both, and they meet the mark for drivability.

I wanted to run this by the gurus here, to see if anyone has an opinion on one or the other.

My initial thoughts:

Hyundai - Pro: Peppier powertrain, more for your buck, cheaper price used.
Hyundai - Con: Resale value (is the hit already taken?), potential issues w/reliability (DI)

Toyota - Pro: Comfortable ride, holds value, reliable refined powertrain
Toyota - Con: Cheaper interior plastics, more expensive used, a little slower

Thanks for any input.

Since Toyota's hold their value well, I'd assume a 2-3 year old Camry is still pretty expensive. With a brand like that, I'd say you're better off spending a little more and getting a new car with a full warranty.

Last edited:
Toyota. The slight upfront cost will pay back at ease of resale yourself or resale.

I don't see this changing in used market any time soon.

Around here a used, certified 2013-2014 Camry with 20-30k miles runs around $16k. Easily negotiate $1k off = $15k plus tax, title, plates. 10k oil changes and great on the hwy. If you trade in the Corolla you might be a little more for it at the Toyo dealer esp if they can certify it.

http://www.metrotoyota.com/used-inventor...=certified&

Here's a UOA after 60k miles on the 2012 Camry. Still feels like new after 4.5 yrs.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3954381/2012_Toyota_Camry_UOA#Post3954381

I would buy a Fusion but between the two I would take the Sonata. Better Interior, More car for the money. My opinion on resale is I am buying for me not the next guy. I would rather be happy with what I drive and lose a few bucks in the process than worry about resale. Besides if you are buying a car as an investment you are an idiot.

2-3 years old used Camry and Accord are not good buy, because they retain their value so high.

For few thousands more a new 2016 Camry is a much better buy than 2-3 years old with 20-30k miles.

Camry. The Sonata engine is showing the signs of carbon misfires due to buildup on the valves. Toyota/Lexus dumped the 4GR engine due to this major problem. The newer DI engines from Toyota have direct & port with sodium valves. Unless you want to do regular "media/walnut shell blasting" of the intake valves, stay away from DI only engines. Look for an engine with DI & port injection

Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi All,

With a 90 minute commute each way, I am looking to a midsize upgrade for better legroom over my Corolla (plus a car that knows the word acceleration).

I'm looking to go gently used (maybe certified), 2013 or 2014 with 20-30k miles.

Accord and Altima are out due to CVT, do not like Mazda or Ford. 4-cylinder is a requirement since my commute is heavily stop-and-go. I'm down to either a basic entry-level Sonata (SE/GLS) or Camry (LE). I have test-driven both, and they meet the mark for drivability.

I wanted to run this by the gurus here, to see if anyone has an opinion on one or the other.

My initial thoughts:

Hyundai - Pro: Peppier powertrain, more for your buck, cheaper price used.
Hyundai - Con: Resale value (is the hit already taken?), potential issues w/reliability (DI)

Toyota - Pro: Comfortable ride, holds value, reliable refined powertrain
Toyota - Con: Cheaper interior plastics, more expensive used, a little slower

Thanks for any input.

If the only thing you really need is more leg room, would it be possible to get longer seat rails for the corolla so that you can move the seat back a little more, or would it still br too tight leg wise?

Camry is really not much bigger than a corolla. And the 4 cyl doesn't have much in HP over the corolla. Maybe a better deal hanging on to the corolla. I think the price diff is large enough for me to go w the Hyundai so that's what I would go with.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Camry is really not much bigger than a corolla. And the 4 cyl doesn't have much in HP over the corolla. Maybe a better deal hanging on to the corolla. I think the price diff is large enough for me to go w the Hyundai so that's what I would go with.

The Camry feels a lot larger than the Corolla and feels a lot faster. My new Camry at 90mph feels like the Corolla at 75mph. If you're in stop and go, the high speed comfort might not matter. I don't think Toyota is making any money off the Camry LE. You could probably squeeze one new for less than $20k or close to it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
2-3 years old used Camry and Accord are not good buy, because they retain their value so high.

For few thousands more a new 2016 Camry is a much better buy than 2-3 years old with 20-30k miles.

Agreed.

If OP wants something slightly used, how about Chevy Malibu? Or maybe Buick Regal if he wants something more upscale. Buick seems to be scoring well on various reliability rankings.

A 2013 Camry will cost about as much as a brand new one, especially once you factor the interest rates (new car loan rates are lower than used car rates!) But Toyota does make the best cars.

How about a 2012 Accord? Before they used the CVT.

There's also the Malibu, and don't forget the Optima (same car as the Sonata); they're also available with a turbo-4.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Since Toyota's hold their value well, I'd assume a 2-3 year old Camry is still pretty expensive. With a brand like that, I'd say you're better off spending a little more and getting a new car with a full warranty.

Some off-lease LEs are going for 16-18k, a fair bit cheaper than a new for 23k OTD, but I guess it depends on the additional price flexibility available new vs. old. Perhaps I will look into a new 2016, too. The new interior is a bit higher quality, and the standard backup camera would be really helpful parking in the city.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Around here a used, certified 2013-2014 Camry with 20-30k miles runs around $16k. Easily negotiate $1k off = $15k plus tax, title, plates. 10k oil changes and great on the hwy. If you trade in the Corolla you might be a little more for it at the Toyo dealer esp if they can certify it.

http://www.metrotoyota.com/used-inventor...=certified&

Here's a UOA after 60k miles on the 2012 Camry. Still feels like new after 4.5 yrs.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3954381/2012_Toyota_Camry_UOA#Post3954381

These are the prices that would be good, esp. if I can get close to NADA on my trade. Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA makes really good deals on trades (where I bought the Corolla).

Originally Posted By: barkingspider

I'm curious why you think this, having had a Camry rental for a few weeks, the difference is absolutely night and day. The Camry has way more leg room, not just length wise, but also side to side. The ride is way more comfortable, and the acceleration is hugely different. The 132hp Corolla feels like I am crushing it just to get to 65 on the highway, especially with the [censored] 4spd auto. The 178hp Camry with a 6 speed rides much nicer on the highway. (1800rpm vs 2800rpm @65mph).

Originally Posted By: Leo99

The Camry feels a lot larger than the Corolla and feels a lot faster. My new Camry at 90mph feels like the Corolla at 75mph. If you're in stop and go, the high speed comfort might not matter. I don't think Toyota is making any money off the Camry LE. You could probably squeeze one new for less than $20k or close to it.

This would be helpful. A fair part of my commute is at highway speeds, and I do a fair bit of passing of people who have yet to wake up. I also take trips on the weekends with my wife, and those can be 1-2hrs on the highway. The Corolla is not comfortable on the highway in any fashion.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
A 2013 Camry will cost about as much as a brand new one, especially once you factor the interest rates (new car loan rates are lower than used car rates!) But Toyota does make the best cars.

How about a 2012 Accord? Before they used the CVT.

There's also the Malibu, and don't forget the Optima (same car as the Sonata); they're also available with a turbo-4.

The 2012 Accord and a Malibu are both good options. As long as they last me to 150k miles, that is all I ask. I plan on keeping this midsize for a while and taking care of it, longer than I have had this Corolla (4 years last Dec, owned free and clear). But I don't plan on driving it until the wheels completely fall off.

I've sat in a Malibu, and very much liked the fit and finish. They go for fairly cheap, too! I'd prefer to avoid Turbos, though, for TCO purposes.

I have both a camry and corolla (albeit both 2002s) and a long commute. I can +2 the comments about more road huggability. The MPG drop to a camry is pretty minimal, also.

But the fusion is great too.

The Camry is a much better car in every way.
The Toyota 4 banger is a good engine, easy to own and maintain, good transmissions and suspensions and it is strongly built.

I think this is the last year for the current generation so some great deals could be had. I did a search on www.autotrader.com for new cars and the lowest price 2016 Camry Le was around $18k while the SE was $1k more. That's why I would push for a used Camry around $14-15k. I think the buyout at the end of a 3 year lease is a little over $12k so they're making money on the used ones.

I have a camry and a prizm. The camry is faster but I'm not gonna say it has much more, at least not enough to dump ur corolla. If you have kids and/or passengers, then yes the camry is better. But if just you on the 90 min commute, then I don't think it matters. I agree that 2016 camry is a better choice than a 1-3 year old camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back