Best synthetic for Mazda Direct Injection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Mazda 3 Skyactive with the direct injected engine. I know that there have been issues with carboned up valves with some DI engines. I have been using M1 in all my stuff with good results but I have noticed some carbon accumulation as a result of burnt oil with the M1. So should I continue to use the group 3 M1 or should I step up to group 4 or 5 oils? Is there a benefit or is it marketing hype? If I do abandon M1, what would be a good alternative that I can preferably get at Walmart? I don't want to get into a discussion about why Mazda sucks or why DI engines are the end of the world. I bought the thing so I have to live with it now.

Thanks

Perry

Last edited:
I'd go with Mobil 1 AFE or EP 0w20. Both have a NOACK volatility of 10% and sulfated ash is around .8%. EP 0w20 is also 70% PAO.

Have you already torn into the Mazda for a look at the valves? What does Mazda spec for this engine?
FWIW my Ecoboost F150 has 95k miles and still runs like a scalded dog. I've been using Castrol 0w-40 in it for quite some time so I suppose the A3 rated oil has been suiting the engine just fine. Have no idea about my valve deposits other than to say if there are deposits, they haven't slowed my engine down one bit.

I ran M1 5W-30 in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 for over 158k miles with no deposit or wear issues at all.

Mazdas don't appear to have deposit issues with their DI engines.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I ran M1 5W-30 in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 for over 158k miles with no deposit or wear issues at all.

Which does not have a DI engine.

Your driving habits and quality of gas you use will have much more effect on deposit buildup on a DI engine than motor oil will.

No I have not torn into an engine that I have had for about a week LOL.

Manual calls for 0w20 for this country but in other areas you can use 5W30. Any down side as far as wear running 0W20? I am more worried about engine life than MPG.

As far as driving habits, I am a lead foot. I have been running 89 octane from Kroger. I have thought about running Chevron. 13:1 compression ratio. Once I get it broke in, and have some mileage stats, I will try 87 and see if there is any decrease in MPG.

Perry

M1 is not grp 3. Mobil Super Synthetic is. M1 oils perform very well in high heat as the M1 5-30 has the HTO-06 Honda high heat low deposit spec.

I'm thinking driving a vehicle hard equipped with a DI engine negates the formation of intake valves deposits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: MCompact

Which does not have a DI engine.

DI engines seem to be tech in reverse.

Originally Posted By: tig1

DI engines seem to be tech in reverse.

They really do. "oh you have this nice, self cleaning system? too bad".

Some higher end makes (I think Audi/Lamborghini) have basically added a second set of injectors to hit the valves to combat this issue. craziness.

Last edited:
At this point, I don't think you can view DI engines as a monolithic block of technology in relation to the more recent incarnations. Ford and the Asian manufacturers, as examples, seem to be considerably different than the older VW/Audi and BMW designs in terms of susceptibility to carbon deposits. In my mind, saying DI is always "this" doesn't necessarily apply.

There are an awful lot of people who have 75-100K miles or more on these more recent engines with no issues. I still get a kick out of some folks on here who view DI as non-mainstream technology apparently because they don't own a vehicle newer than 2003.

The vast majority of D.I. applications have experienced zero issues, even when reaching high mileage.

Internet noise is strong with this one.

I vote to treat this Mazda DI engine just as you would a Mazda Rotary. A redline a day keeps the carbon away. Just give it a good hard drive once a week and the heat helps burn off the carbon. Often times, when I have seen excessive amounts of carbon on any intake valve or inside of a piston, it has belonged to someone who just drives and doesn't take the time to hit the gas pedal and enjoy it. Cars are built to be used all throughout their rev range up until the redline in day to day use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back