5 things you should never do in an AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

Do you disagree with any of it?

I disagree with Ritalin dosage his current physician is prescribing.

Ugh, the quality of that guy's channel has really gone downhill in the last year. I unsubscribed a while ago, and after seeing that video I'm still glad I did.

I have a vehicle manual which states the vehicle should not be changed from forward to reverse if it is moving faster than 10km/h (about 6.2mph). It is designed to be changed below this speed.
If you understand how an automatic transmission actually works there is no reason that this should cause damage when done at slow speeds.

The five things you should never do in an AT car are;

SIT in one
PAY for one
BE SEEN in one
TRAVEL in one
ALLOW YOUR FAMILY in one.

Any questions?

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
I have a vehicle manual which states the vehicle should not be changed from forward to reverse if it is moving faster than 10km/h (about 6.2mph). It is designed to be changed below this speed.
If you understand how an automatic transmission actually works there is no reason that this should cause damage when done at slow speeds.

Mine tell you to come to a complete stop to avoid damage.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Ugh, the quality of that guy's channel has really gone downhill in the last year. I unsubscribed a while ago, and after seeing that video I'm still glad I did.

Nothing but opinions. Some good info but since slushboxes vary so much in design and programming you simply cannot be so general...

Originally Posted By: Olas

SIT in one
PAY for one
BE SEEN in one
TRAVEL in one

Any questions?

9ec31148adf32805db6bce7ee1da2d70.jpg

He goes from drive to reverse and reverse to drive; I usually go from drive, neutral for two or three seconds with my foot still on the brake, then reverse whenever I want to do something like back into a parking space. Am I doing it wrong?

Originally Posted By: mrgrim
He goes from drive to reverse and reverse to drive; I usually go from drive, neutral for two or three seconds with my foot still on the brake, then reverse whenever I want to do something like back into a parking space. Am I doing it wrong?

Nothing, I come to a complete stop pause briefly in N then shift into D or R. It takes the load off of things and is better for the transmission. We're talking cars not boats here, we have brakes to stop before changing direction.

SIT in one
PAY for one
BE SEEN in one
TRAVEL in one

Any questions?
Why?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

SIT in one
PAY for one
BE SEEN in one
TRAVEL in one

Any questions?
Why?

He's from the other side of the pond, where they know best about these things.

Amputees, paraplegics, other disabled people, people with bum knees and the like really shouldn't be allowed to drive. At least that's what I read from his response.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Nothing but opinions. Some good info but since slushboxes vary so much in design and programming you simply cannot be so general...

Yeah, but what bugs me is that they call it "Engineering Explained". Engineering is rooted in physics and objective data, not guesswork.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Put it in "park" when underway..

Or reverse, I was in a car once when that happened. The guy had a broken lockout on his column selector and accidentally knocked it into reverse at about 55 mph. It came to a screeching halt.

"Park" would be worse though.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Put it in "park" when underway..

Or reverse, I was in a car once when that happened. The guy had a broken lockout on his column selector and accidentally knocked it into reverse at about 55 mph. It came to a screeching halt.

"Park" would be worse though.

Maybe, but once you have already put it in park at speed, and Pawl has been liberated, does it really matter if you do it from then on out?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Yeah, but what bugs me is that they call it "Engineering Explained". Engineering is rooted in physics and objective data, not guesswork.

^^^
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back