Castrol Edge bottle measuring line unuseable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else had problems with Castrol bottles? I tried to put 4L but I couldn't see Sh*t I even tried a flashlight. Thus ended up tossing away 500ml by only looking through the hole
mad.gif

CASTROL BAD! BAD! fix your bottles!
06.gif
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
The most annoying thing about Castrol. I have no idea why they don't use the clear side stripe like everyone else. Even cheap store brands have it.

I usually end up using a flashlight and my fingertip to figure out where the level actually is.

DUMB.
mad.gif

I just eyeball it. If it needs 9.5, it gets two jugs.

If it needs 8, I'll pour two quarts out into top-up bottles and pour the rest in the sump.

Totally agree. I don't know if it's the black plastic or what, but it's impossible to get a reading . I always end up using an old M1 jug to measure out the qts.

Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
Totally agree. I don't know if it's the black plastic or what, but it's impossible to get a reading . I always end up using an old M1 jug to measure out the qts.

Isn't M1 jugg gray?

Guys, just use an electronic scale, weigh it, and divide out the quantity of quarts, simple.

Then you don't need a "sight glass" on a disposable bottle!!!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Guys, just use an electronic scale, weigh it, and divide out the quantity of quarts, simple.

Then you don't need a "sight glass" on a disposable bottle!!!

How? Every bottle comes in different shape and weight differently

Way better getting a measuring cup.

I'm at a bit of a loss why people are trying to measure out such specific quantities.

My current car and 2 previous cars had 9 qt sumps. I did not measure 9 quarts exactly -- I poured in "about 8" and then just kept checking the dipstick until it showed in the "OK" zone. I don't even know the exact quantity that went in. It's not like there's going to be a catastrophic problem if I put in 8.9 quarts.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'm at a bit of a loss why people are trying to measure out such specific quantities.

Right? I've never measured oil so precisely. My Cruze takes 4.8 qts so i put in the better part of 5 qts. I'll leave a little behind and check it later. Measuring cups??

Originally Posted By: SR5
You can buy one of these for a few bucks.

364968-zoom.jpg

When I had my gap year back in 1987, I was working at a Shell service station at Manuka ACT.

They had a bunch of those metal racks (four) with the glass bottles for Castrol GTX/XL (quart and pint) which were intended to be refilled out the back.

My boss told me to get rid of them, as Shell didn't like them..."take them home or take them to the tip".

I took them to the tip...

Originally Posted By: dparm

My current car and 2 previous cars had 9 qt sumps. I did not measure 9 quarts exactly -- I poured in "about 8" and then just kept checking the dipstick until it showed in the "OK" zone. I don't even know the exact quantity that went in. It's not like there's going to be a catastrophic problem if I put in 8.9 quarts.

1 liter less in a 4 liters oil sump does make a difference.

Likewise if you overfill it with 1 extra liter you will see some funny blue smoke coming out of its tail.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not as good as four of them....

I bet you were happy to get out of the uniform though.

EHKJIPZVGO.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back