New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
FYI.. BMW is moving their vehicles to LL-14FE. All 0wX weights

That thing is not going in my car.
Only certain engines are covered by LL-14 FE (Nxx) and with single turbo. Same with 12-FE only with single turbo.
Tells me something BMW is walking fine line here.

I sent out my FS sample to Blackstone for a VOA, don't know what will we learn, but I included a TBN test, should get the results back Monday.

I received my reply from Mobil on the LL-01 thing:

Originally Posted By: Mobil

At present, I have no information to indicate we are currently BMW LL-01 certified in any region. We also have no current information regarding re certification.

Thank you for choosing Mobil

So anybody looking for an LL-01 lube should be looking elsewhere at this point from the appearance of things.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So anybody looking for an LL-01 lube should be looking elsewhere at this point from the appearance of things.

Which in my case is about 2 or 3 feet (at most) down the Walmart oil aisle
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

wink.gif

Yep, Castrol 0W40 it is for BMW gas owners.
However, this Mobil1 strategy is seriously not understandable to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: kschachn

wink.gif

Yep, Castrol 0W40 it is for BMW gas owners.
However, this Mobil1 strategy is seriously not understandable to me.

Yeah, I'm not getting it either TBH.
21.gif

Having settled on M1 0-40 for "der Schwarzwagon" a couple of years ago, I just today "discovered" this change in the M1 datasheet.

I never figured finding a readily available LL-01 oil would become a challenge. I may well just stick with the M1 since the car is 17+ years old.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
I never figured finding a readily available LL-01 oil would become a challenge.

Not a challenge at all, at least around here. Castrol 0w-40 meets LL-01 and sits on the shelf right next to M1 0w-40 at most Walmarts for about the same price.

I will definitely have to look next time - I have never seen that on any of the 3 local WM's. But, I only recently depleted my stock of M1 and haven't looked for the Castrol product any time recently.

A look at the WM website indicates it is now available locally. I hope so, a lot of the times that people have mentioned seeing various oils at WM, proved not to be the case locally.

It's also a bit cheaper, at least at all the Walmart locations in and around Milwaukee.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
I will definitely have to look next time - I have never seen that on any of the 3 local WM's. But, I only recently depleted my stock of M1 and haven't looked for the Castrol product any time recently.

A look at the WM website indicates it is now available locally. I hope so, a lot of the times that people have mentioned seeing various oils at WM, proved not to be the case locally.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
am I the only crazy person that's excited to try the new M1 GTL?

Here is to hoping that it'll quiet all those engines that M1 historically made loud and that it'll reduce all those high iron counts.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
LOL, VOA shows 1ppm of each Al and Fe....free of charge

That's the precision of UOA's you are seeing there
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5

Yes, Pennzoil / Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 has a HTHS of 3.88 and a nice low NOACK of 6.8 too.

Do you have a link to the source, please?

Originally Posted By: zveroboy
Originally Posted By: SR5

Yes, Pennzoil / Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 has a HTHS of 3.88 and a nice low NOACK of 6.8 too.

Do you have a link to the source, please?

Oh I posted like 10 times link.
Google Pennzoil Ultra pds, the one that has API SN. That oil became Pennzoil Platinu 5W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back