PF63E FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find any posts on this specific info. Sorry if it is a double post.

#15-00-90-002: Information for Installing the Correct Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter When Servicing - (Apr 1, 2015)
Subject: Information for Installing the Correct Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter When Servicing

Models: 2012-2016 Buick Enclave, LaCrosse
2012 Cadillac SRX
2013-2016 Cadillac SRX, XTS
2012-2013 Chevrolet Captiva (VIN L), Impala
2012-2016 Chevrolet Equinox, Traverse
2014-2016 Chevrolet Captiva (VIN L), Impala (VIN W), Impala (VIN (1)
2012-2016 GMC Acadia, Terrain
Equipped with Engine RPO — LFW, LFX or LLT
Excluding Police Vehicles Equipped with RPO — 9C1, 9C3
Attention: This Bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be Export vehicles.

Importance of Using the GM Recommended Replacement ACDelco® PF63E Oil Filter
Notice: ACDelco® PF63E (GM #19330000) oil filters meet GMPT performance specifications as defined by General Motors.
The purpose of this bulletin is to reinforce to the Service Personnel the critical importance of using the recommended replacement ACDelco® PF63E oil filter that is specified by General Motors for these V6 engines when servicing them in order to ensure proper engine oil filtration and engine performance.
Beginning in 2012 the V6 engine was redesigned with tighter engine tolerances. The oil pressure was increased to accommodate these tighter tolerances. As a result, the oil filter specifications of the production oil filter and the service oil filter were also improved to meet the new engine requirements.
These V6 engines are factory built with an ACDelco® oil filter PF64, which is commonly confused by many in the automobile service industry as an ACDelco® PF48 because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However these two oil filters are not the same and have different internal specifications. The OEM PF64 oil filter has a much higher bypass valve rating that matches the service oil filter requirement of the PF63E which was specifically chosen to match the performance demands of these engines.
The ACDelco® PF64 oil filter installed by the manufacturing plant meets the specifications of the ACDelco® PF63E, but due to the length of the ACDelco® PF63E oil filter can, the engine plant cannot build with it because it currently interferes with the assembly line process.
ACDelco® PF63E Primary Performance Improvements
The PF63E primary performance improvement relates to the bypass valve design. The ACDelco® PF63E has a compression spring loaded nylon poppet that outperforms the current valve design.
Other benefits include the following:
• Designed with five times greater burst strength than most engine oil operating pressures after the oil reaches operating temperatures.
• Bypass valve opening pressure has been increased from 100 to 150 kPa and is statistically more capable.
• Patented cellulose media traps particles that are 1/3 the width of a human hair.
• 98 percent single-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns.
• Hot oil durability has been improved by the elimination of adhesive.
• Improved level of robustness to water accumulation.
• Excellent cold weather performance −22°F (−30°C) when using dexos1®.
• The element integrity (collapse strength), remains the same.
• The excellent filtration performance (efficiency and capacity) remains the same.
• The filter shell configuration is unchanged, which means existing oil filter cap wrenches continue to fit.

ACDelco® is a Registered Trademark of General Motors LLC
dexos1® is a Registered Trademark of General Motors LLC
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2016 General Motors. All rights reserved.

That is funny becaus the 48 and 63 have the same bypass valve setting while the aftermarket pf63 replacement filters are using the ford fl500s spec filters which is lower.

Last edited:
Encountered the "same thing" (I think) when researching the oil filter for my sister's 2013 Mazda3i Touring w/the Skyaktiv engine.

Mazda had a 2 liter engine but the new Skyaktiv 2 liter (1998 cc.) is different.
The new engine requires 0W-20 oil and specs a different filter.
The oil filters for each had the same thread size and overall dimensions.

Almost every filter company listed the old filter as suitable for the new engine.

Hastings and WIX did not. Some months passed before WIX and Hastings had a listing.
That is why I prefer those brands.

My conclusion that the other filter companies are headed by lyers and cheats is a reasonable one. Kira

It is also funny that there is also a tsb saying that you can use the pf63 on the older models of those vehicles with the supposed lower pressure oil system the were speced for the pf48.

Ok I was probably wrong on the pressures. Baldwin list the replacements for the pf48 64 and 63 as having a 20 psi bypass. Wix lists those three as having a 12 psi bypass. I can't find the ac delco specs.

Looks like I need to find the ac delco specs since my traverse already has a finicky engine.

So I found the bypass specs possibly and it is 150kPa for the pf63e and only 100kPa for the pf63. Looks like Baldwin has the bypass right on their filters.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that it is a different designed 3.6 in the Camaro, which isn't listed. I wonder what makes it so different?

Very confusing; as my brother with a 12' Enclave said he got 2 filters for his and they said "this is the CORRECT filter". they gave him two pf 48E's

so, is the correct filter for a 2012 model a PF64E OR PF48E?? Champion Labs site shows a PH 500 is CORRECT FILTER SO [censored]?!

Just a heads up with ACDelco parts catalog because there are mistakes, so it's best to double or triple check with other sources.

As of right now, ACDelco has the PF52 oil filter listed for my Olds, and that is the correct filter. Within the last six months, they are now listing the PF61 oil filter to fit my Olds, but the PF61 is a different thread size.

Quote:
The purpose of this bulletin is to reinforce to the Service Personnel the critical importance of using the recommended replacement ACDelco® PF63E oil filter that is specified by General Motors for these V6 engines when servicing them in order to ensure proper engine oil filtration and engine performance.
Beginning in 2012 the V6 engine was redesigned with tighter engine tolerances. The oil pressure was increased to accommodate these tighter tolerances. As a result, the oil filter specifications of the production oil filter and the service oil filter were also improved to meet the new engine requirements.
These V6 engines are factory built with an ACDelco® oil filter PF64, which is commonly confused by many in the automobile service industry as an ACDelco® PF48 because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However these two oil filters are not the same and have different internal specifications. The OEM PF64 oil filter has a much higher bypass valve rating that matches the service oil filter requirement of the PF63E which was specifically chosen to match the performance demands of these engines.

The filter's bypass valve setting really has nothing to do with the amount of oil pressure the engine produces because the bypass valve only operated on the delta-p across the media. The filter's bypass setting is based on the oil viscosity, oil flow volume and media flow resistance. If the bypass valve setting was increased, then that means the oil flow volume must have went up and/or the media flow resistance increased.

So should I be running the AC Delco 63e only on my SRX now that the 4 year maintenance program is over ? I already picked up a Mobil 1 filter in anticipation of my next change, before I found this thread. Just wondering ?

What do you guys think about this PF63e filter for 10000 miles? Or should I change filter every 5k?
I'm using it on my 2011 Jeep liberty with 3.7L.
Using it with Pennzoil 5-30 fully synthetic.

Tighter tolerances isn't the same as tighter gaps. Tolerances probably are far exceeded anyway with the use of cnc machining. I don't know why they said tolerances.
These must be the engines with variable flow oil pumps and that's the reason for the higher bypass as has been discussed to no end before.
This bulletin is from 2015 and I think they have a later one that is more accurate, but don't know how to find it. It talks about the oil pump and sender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back