Spark plug boot stuck dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you post a pict?? I need to show you guys this
Ok,, had this truck over a mo. Im about to change my spark plugs,71k recommend change @ 30k & @ 60k top row

what happens is the rubber boot(coil over plug) glues/melt itself to the porcelain part of the plug after going through hot and cold cycles. I pulled one plug about 2 wks ago just to see how hard it would be to get it removed "without" tearing the coil boot. it was alittle tough to pull and when I got it pulled, I did noticed there was a small rubber ring that had molded itself to the plug. so I cleaned it and replaced it knowing I am going to replace them now.

Here's my question......to be able to release or break loose the seal it made.
would a warm engine making that rubber warm help break or that seal or leave it cold.. Now in other words would a cold rubber be easier to break from that seal on that plug or warm.,...or does it matter.
Well, the coils over plugs are factory coils, and I have probably also answered another question I think its better to pull these coils off with the engine warm not hot but very warm which I tried on that 1st plug about 2 wks ago. I pulled one off yesterday.... cold engine and the boot from coil came apart still was stuck down in that sleeve where the plug is once I got it out it was toast. If I can get the rest out in "ONE" piece without tearing them. Getting them out is the trick!!!! Now I thinking it best to try it warm engine I'm thinking once rubber is cold its hard to break its seal. this is an issue with this vehicle how they designed it. I don't believe at the factory they applied any di-electric grease on them just installed the coils dry.
Here is the boot Pulled off once I get it posted On a cold engine, I think I'm not even sure that would of came off with a warm engine. I Will try a very warm engine on the next 7 ..boot replacement 10.80 ea. x 8 = 86.00

Originally Posted By: Olas
A little wd40 and a thin screwdriver has been my favourite for stuck boots

Tried it... didn't work... however how I got it off though was to break the plug pulled it right out and loosen the plug...wow you guys need to see this boot how its melted onto the plug wish I knew how to post a pict

Mine were so bad in one car I had I used an Exacto knife to split some of the boots to get them off. That was after trying the WD40 trick and a few others. I didn't care because I was planning on changing the wires, so it was no big deal.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Mine were so bad in one car I had I used an Exacto knife to split some of the boots to get them off. That was after trying the WD40 trick and a few others. I didn't care because I was planning on changing the wires, so it was no big deal.

its not the wires but it has a boot that slips onto the bottom of the coil..that goes into that sleeve where the plug is. This sleeve has to be 4 in. deep they HAVE TO COME OUT ONE WAY in one piece or another. Hopefully after I apply generous about of dielectric grease on new ones I wont have this issue again. I appreciate your thoughts, if anyone wants to see this boot let me know I can send it to you

Usually they sell new boots. Not a whole lot of silicon grease is needed on the porcelain, just a dab will do ya.....

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Usually they sell new boots. Not a whole lot of silicon grease is needed on the porcelain, just a dab will do ya.....

this design on this coil ovewr plug is a 2 piece coil.. coil and boot ck out the pict I got a new boot im just trying to save 77 more $ Yea I know a dab will do, however, on the next 30k I DO NOT want to go through this and having to spend 86.00.. soo generously applied is my moto. I want to make sure they come off easy next time. Thanks for the comments

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GRed

its not the wires but it has a boot that slips onto the bottom of the coil..that goes into that sleeve where the plug is. This sleeve has to be 4 in. deep they HAVE TO COME OUT ONE WAY in one piece or another. Hopefully after I apply generous about of dielectric grease on new ones I wont have this issue again. I appreciate your thoughts, if anyone wants to see this boot let me know I can send it to you

Got ya now, my bad! WD40 soaks and patience. If you can get a little movement from side to side and clockwise and counter clockwise as you soak it they might break free.

I have the same set up on my Liberty. I lathered them up real good with Dielectric grease when I did the plugs. Fortunately I didn't have the problem you're encountering now. In fact it is one of the easiest engines to do plugs swaps on. Good luck!

Got ya now, my bad! WD40 soaks and patience. I have the same set up on my Liberty. I lathered them up real good with Dielectric grease when I did the plugs. Fortunately I didn't have the problem you're encountering now. In fact it is one of the easiest engines to do plugs swaps on.

Yes, they are pretty easy being right there.. soo what did you do>>?? if they came of they did and if they didnt break them...cuz that's what I did on that 1st one..only option, soo knew ones get generous amount, Im glad someone can appreciate my frustration. I still say a very warm engine would help. thinking bout tackling the other 7 today I figure whats the worse 77.00 more $ for reast of the boots

Last edited:
Can you get WD40 in there and allow an over night soak? Apply it, wait a few hours and reapply it, then let it sit overnight. Maybe right before the second application try and rock it or rotate it a bit. What sucks is someone else's screw up became your problem.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Why WD40 of all things?

It is harmless to rubber and has worked in the past.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Why WD40 of all things?

It is harmless to rubber and has worked in the past.

I did try it but it was just a little I didn't wait.. after seeing the boot now WD40 would not have broken that loose..it was melted onto it. I was going to do it today.. but wife had me on other duties..soo in the morning I will tackle it and they will come off easy or the hard way. Thanks for the comments

Patience my friend. I've seen them literally welded on, and nothing but cursing and brute force got them off. The good news is you'll be sure to get a good coat of Dielectric grease on them so you don't run into this problem again.

A pair of $10 spark plug boot pliers are a sound investment. Even if you only need them once every 40K-60K miles, no more stuck wires or torn boots.

Patience my friend. I've seen them literally welded on, and nothing but cursing and brute force got them off. The good news is you'll be sure to get a good coat of Dielectric grease on them so you don't run into this problem again.

AMEN !!!!!!! Really?? welded ! I guess I shouldn't be soo surprise looking at mine. that's exactly what happen when I pulled that 1st off..cursing, and force still have 7 to go but not today little cooler & windy out. Yes Dielectric grease do you recommend any brand??

AMEN !!!!!!! Really?? welded ! I guess I shouldn't be soo surprise looking at mine. that's exactly what happen when I pulled that 1st off..cursing, and force still have 7 to go but not today little cooler & windy out. Yes Dielectric grease do you recommend any brand??

No brand in particular just be sure to get some and use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back