Moog or Beck/Arnley tie rod ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 200K miles, the tie rod ends on my Accord need replacement. Rock Auto has Moog and Beck/Arnley available with a few dollars difference. Some reviews say Moog isn't what it used to be and their quality's gone down. B/A is OEM for many parts and seems to have decent, albeit less reviews available. Moog comes with a Zerk fitting but don't know about B/A.

What do you guys think?

B/A stuff can be really good, or really cheap. You never know what they are going to re-box. I would probably trust that over the present Moog stuff though.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, I would choose OE Honda tie rod ends.

If you get the Moog, get the "problem solver" line, if it's offered. Stay away from the "r" series, which is the economy line to compete with all the Chinese junk flooding the market.

If you email Beck/Arnley with the part number and request the country of origin, they will email you back where the part is made.

Moog still makes some good stuff, but they now have some cheaper lines that may be best avoided. I don't know if they offer more than one line of ball joints.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
If you email beck/arnley with the part number and request the country of origin, they will email you back where the part is made.

I was just going to say this.

I've emailed them multiple times asking for this info and they've supplied it really quickly. They have good customer service, from my experience. Give them an email and see what they say. If you like the answer, go ahead and buy it.

A year or so ago I bought a B/A tie rod end for my wife's VW Beetle and it a was a good quality German part that I think was supplied by Flennor.

RA11_zps6c651d78.jpg

RA10_zps0ad2fc16.jpg

Originally Posted By: drtyler
B/A stuff can be really good, or really cheap. You never know what they are going to re-box. I would probably trust that over the present Moog stuff though.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, I would choose OE Honda tie rod ends.

This. Sometimes you get an OEM part in the b/a box sometimes you get a chinese part you could have paid 1/3 for.

One time I ordered B/A motor mounts. Left was OEM rebox, right was Anchor rebox.

Last edited:
A lot of the Moog parts require frequent greasing in order to obtain a long service life. The amount of work really isn't worth it.

I would get new OE from the dealer and be done with it. At your mileage, I would replace both the inner and outer tie rods, along with the boots.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
A lot of the Moog parts require frequent greasing in order to obtain a long service life. The amount of work really isn't worth it.

I would get new OE from the dealer and be done with it. At your mileage, I would replace both the inner and outer tie rods, along with the boots.

That's the best way to go IMO also. OE from an online dealer like Bernardi or Village Honda and forget the zerk fittings.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
After 200K miles, the tie rod ends on my Accord need replacement. Rock Auto has Moog and Beck/Arnley available with a few dollars difference. Some reviews say Moog isn't what it used to be and their quality's gone down. B/A is OEM for many parts and seems to have decent, albeit less reviews available. Moog comes with a Zerk fitting but don't know about B/A.

What do you guys think?

I used to buy a fair amount of Beck Arnley parts, and back in the day you often did get reboxed OEM parts. Today that doesn't happen as far as I can see.

The only non-OEM parts I would consider in this application are Sankei 555. They are an OEM for a lot of Toyota parts, when I bought upper control arms for my Accord I got them from Beck Arnley. One side was a 555 arm and the other was a no-name white box Taiwan part. Guess which one failed in about 10,000 miles and which one was still just fine?

And I agree with avoiding parts that require greasing. It sounds like a good idea but I too have found they fail faster than an OEM part that is lifetime greased.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I talked to B/A customer service and they said the tie rods are made in Taiwan and come pre-greased without Zerk fittings. Not sure how I feel about them now.

I may just go with Moog "Problem Solvers." Can pick them up at AAP for about the same price as Rock Auto with discount codes. I already have a grease gun for my Infiniti's tie rods that a shop replaced a while back. No idea what brand they are but they've held up fine for 2 yrs now. Will make sure to grease the Moog's every OCI and hopefully they should last.

I need en as well , at least thats what the tire place told me,. they dont replace just do tires and alignments.. I need the outer tie rods..

It's sure tuff work. Last time it took me a minute to grease while I was under there changing the oil. Twice a year....If the originals had fittings and were greased a couple times a year, you wouldn't have bad ones now.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

It's sure tuff work. Last time it took me a minute to grease while I was under there changing the oil. Twice a year....If the originals had fittings and were greased a couple times a year, you wouldn't have bad ones now.

I have to grease my tierods and other steering parts at least once a month or stuff starts getting stiff.
When I bought the car one of them squirted out rusty water when I pumped grease into it.
There is something to be said about sealed joints.

Some people pump so much grease in them and destroy the sealing ability of the boot. I never had a problem with the boot or ever had to replace a greasable joint. When the joint begins to swell, you stop pumping the grease in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Some reviews say Moog isn't what it used to be and their quality's gone down.

Those people don't know that Moog has two lines of quality. They have their economy line, and then they have their top of the line Problem-Solver series.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
what about the napa brand? they sell decent stuff

They have two lines of parts too. You gotta know how to spot the good stuff from the economy stuff. Never walk into a store blindly -- do your research at their website and get your part numbers before walking into the store.

Didn't know this thread was still going.

I ended up installing Moog's. They feel heavier than the OEM tie rods, look well-constructed and to boot are Made in the USA. Pumped them with a couple shots of Valvoline Durablend grease and called it a day. The alignment shop was impressed with how close I got the alignment to factory specs. They said most cars that come in with new tie rods installed have the wheels severely bowed in/out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back