High milage oils: valid or gimmick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
People who keep their cars through high miles save significant sums of money by not buying new vehicles.

High mileage oils were specially designed for this market, to scrub the accumulated excess cash from these people's clenched fists.

Mobil 1 HM and Mobil 1 are the same price, so that's not always the case.

People who keep their cars through high miles save significant sums of money by not buying new vehicles.

High mileage oils were specially designed for this market, to scrub the accumulated excess cash from these people's clenched fists.
Well-at exactly the same price as Durablend (when you can find it), & Dexos 1 licensed in both 5W30 & 5W20, & I go through only half as much in top offs in an average OCI, it's scrubbing money BACK INTO my wallet! One of the few automotive products that lives up to it's hype, IMHO!

They claim use this or that synthetic from new and have the least amount of wear and the best engine protection but at 75,001 miles you need a different oil for your high mileage worn out lump.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
They claim use this or that synthetic from new and have the least amount of wear and the best engine protection but at 75,001 miles you need a different oil for your high mileage worn out lump.
lol.gif

I agree, it's just stupid marketing to say you suddenly need a different oil at 75.001 miles.

But I just look at their figures and think of them as "heavy for grade" oils, which have their uses. Maybe your car puts out above stock power and you want a bit more protection without going up to the next grade. Ignore the marketing, they just give you more options.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Plain M1 5W-30 has 900 ppm zinc and a HTHS of 3.1
HM M1 5W-30 has 1100ppm zinc and a HTHS of 3.3

The exception is if it's and ILSAC HM oil with the same ZDDP & HTHS as the regular stuff. This offers you almost nothing extra for you $. Maybe just an extra drop I'd seal conditioner (which are still in regular oils anyway)..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123

I'm pretty sure high mileage oil means it can last something like 10,000 miles or whatever they claim... not that you use it on vehicles with a big number on the odometer

Oh ok, so it's safe to go 75,000+ miles on an oil change when using HM oil?

Thanks for the advice!

At 125,000 miles my odyssey had developed a nice leak and was burning a bit of oil. I know because I knew about how much was dripping vs how much the oil level dropped. Usually the burning didn't happen u too the end of the OCI. I switched to Pennzoil HM not Platinum just conventional and in the first oil change consumption was stopped almost in its tracks and by the second change the leak is down to the smallest of drips every few days. Just saying in my experience it did something

Thicker cut of base oils. Added seal conditioners and added detergents. Fact.

Valvoline, actually insisted in one of those videos, that the HM oil is highly recommended for new vehicles too.. I have only used M1 HM on occasions when I really needed the seals to be cured and it worked well. Right now I have this PP HM in one of my vehicles just because it is a lighter 5W-30, and I wanted to try it, since it's a winter fill anyway.

I believe in HM's and I see no reason they should not work at any mileage. Seal conditioner is like hair conditioner - who does not want soft supple shiny seals
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I believe in HM's and I see no reason they should not work at any mileage. Seal conditioner is like hair conditioner - who does not want soft supple shiny seals
laugh.gif

I notice that M1 5W30 HM is API SL instead of SN like the plain 'ol...might be of concern to some people.
I seem to remember that the M1 HM and EP were both thicker than M1 at extreme cold, which makes sense because they are also thicker at operating temps. Those of us in the frozen North might wish to take note of that.

laugh.gif

You know how "hair conditioner" works, right? It leaves a waxy film on the hair strands; sort of a lubricant, you could say. That way it "feels" softer.

When the class action lawsuits start, let me know, and I will quit paying the premiums for most high mileage oils because they are only a marketing gimmick.

Extra seal conditioners, different additives...

Very often, high mileage oils will significantly slow or stop leaks & oil consumption.

High mileage oils are no gimmick & I find that they don't cost more than their regular versions most of the time. M1 HM & vanilla M1 are the same price. MaxLife is only $15 for 5 qt at Walmart. Pennz. Platinum HM is the same or less than regular Pennz. Platinum everywhere I have seen it online.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
laugh.gif

I notice that M1 5W30 HM is API SL instead of SN like the plain 'ol...might be of concern to some people.
I seem to remember that the M1 HM and EP were both thicker than M1 at extreme cold, which makes sense because they are also thicker at operating temps. Those of us in the frozen North might wish to take note of that.

The reason its still APL SL is because they didn't lower the zinc level that was required for API SM & SN.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

Mobil 1 HM and Mobil 1 are the same price, so that's not always the case.

That's been my experience too at Wally World-both are generally $26.xx or whatever the going rate is for a 5 quart jug of M1.

My car has been running M1 since I bought it(56K on the clock). I have been using the HM version since about 100K, although I've occasionally grabbed the regular version by mistake and haven't lost any sleep or gone through the trouble of returning it when I did.

Since my sump take 6-7 quarts and the individual quart prices are obscene on M1, I alternate between buying a single 5 quart and two 5 quart jugs, I've been known to mix HM and regular in the same change.

Truthfully, I don't see a lot of difference but tend toward the HM out of habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back