Toro CCR 1000 / HSK600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this winter I acquired an old Toro 2 cycle snow thrower. After making a few repairs the machine works really well considering it's only 3HP.

The one thing that has stumped me is... No matter how cold the units right up in a pull or two. After some use (with load) if you shut it off it will not restart until it cools off some. I put a new coil, since it needed a new pull cord, thinking the spark was weak when the unit got heat soaked. The carb has no adjustments and is a fixed jet carb.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience with this engine?

I have worked on lots of those over the years, and of course the usual trouble is cold start, not hot start. Have you put in a new spark plug?

Yep, That was the first thing I did when I got it.

I agree, I've never had an engine not want to start hot and start so easily cold.

Originally Posted By: old1
I have worked on lots of those over the years, and of course the usual trouble is cold start, not hot start. Have you put in a new spark plug?

Has it got a choke or primer, or both? Does your gas have ethanal ? Possibly it gets to much when hot, flooding the engine? No hot start can be a problem to figure, but it is usually simple to fix if you can figure out what is causing it. Also I have several times seen new plugs that were worse than the old ones.

Last edited:
It does have a primer and choke. Yes it's a float style.

I did replace the plug again in case it was defective. No change.

Last edited:
Check the wiring. There may be enough resistance building up when it gets warm you cannot restart. If it's low enough, it won't ground the machine fully while running, but it can take enough away to prevent starting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old1
Is it a float style carb? If so, maybe it is to high, giving it plenty of gas to start cold but to much for hot engine?

How do I determine too high vs a faulty needle valve/seat?

PhilsSmallEngine may just have a good point. Try disconnecting the coil from the switch when restarting. About the carb, take off the bowl, and lightly raise the float till the gas stops running through. At that point the float should be level/perpendicular with the body of carb. It is easier to see if the carb is off and upside down. And if you have gone that far, might just as well replace the needle an seat. Also if it is a brass float, take it off and shake it to see if it has gas in it (you can hear it splash). If so replace it.

I have a suspicion that it's the carb is leaking past the seat. I pulled it out yesterday and the tank was empty after sitting a week with a half tank. I suspected this was the case when the engine was hot and it was flooding.

Carbs are cheap for this thing (~$20) so I'm not sure it's worth rebuilding a 20 year old carb.

Just to follow up....

The carb was the issue, when hot it was leaking past the seat and floading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back