Quality screwdriver set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang you actually own a Craftsman!
grin.gif

Hazet was the best screwdriver I ever had. Recently I got a set of Husky screwdrivers, and I am happy with them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't get e wrong i like Klein tools, their top shelf pliers are the best I have ever used. They are geared more to electrical work though that's true.
For me that rubber cover grip is a deal breaker no matter how good they are.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that, they're good tools, and the drivers are very good, but the handles could be a better design. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I wish they would update them. It's true they're a bit geared to electricians. I think it's a matter of sticking to an old design while the industry moves ahead. Maybe they feel if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I dunno.
I have to carry tools for HVAC work and I darn near always carry dual purpose drivers, and only actually carry two insulated screwdrivers. Other than them, I carry a couple of multiple bit drivers. It's just so much easier to have four or five driver bits (not magnetic holder type, but the longer ball detent ones) than to carry a whole raft of screwdrivers. When I do use "just a screwdriver" it's usually a Pratt-Read or Milwaukee.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I want to try Klein and PB Swiss.

The Pb Swiss are the best, Felo and Wiha make nice drivers but Klein are ones that I could never warm up to.
The rubber covered plastic handles remind me of cheap cheesy Stanley home owners driver from years ago.
Wera is no longer German made and quality of the steel seems to have slipped as has QC, they were top shelf at one now they are just mediocre.

Trav I agree with you on the Klien. I have a Journeyman set and while they are pretty nice, they just don't instill top quality in my mind based on the feel in my hand. I'm glad you warned us about the Wera as I have a set about 6 yrs old and was JUST considering getting a new Wera set as my old set has been wonderful and I love the quality. I will probable just shoot for a set of Craftsman professionals off ebay of look at the PB Swiss as you mention.

The craftsman pro line of screw drivers were made by western forge. As a side note western forge also made home depots husky pro screw drivers. Any ways long story short Ideal bought out western forge. Which is why the craftsman pro and husky pro screw drive lines went away. So here is the good news to this all. Ideal still has western forge making screw drivers which to my understand they sell through another brand they own SK tools.

0818010107.jpg

Western_Forge_Craftsman_Professional_screwdrivers.jpg

I found this all out like 6 months ago when I though I lost my trusty husky pro screw driver and was trying to find replacement. Luckily I found it in the back of the work van.

Last edited:
Donald,

I dont know of many local places that have quality off the shelf. But Lowe's has some nice looking US made pieces that seem above par ( maybe a birdie if you are a golfer). If you go there, I didnt see any drivers stamped with USA, but the cartridge hook says US from domestic and foreign components/materials. The royal blue, hard handled, with nut between handle and shaft look to be primo pieces. Reminds me of a Snap-On I 'inherited'.

Those green hard handled drivers a post or two above look like top of the line to me

I've been using tools all my life, fifty plus years, and own a lot of tools. It's funny, I have Klein, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Pittsburg Pro and Pratt-Read screwdrivers, maybe even some others. They are all in my roll around and are relatively pristine. I work a lot of HVAC and I have two screwdrivers I could never do without. One is a 9 in 1 reversible screwdriver which also has 1/4 & 5/16" nutdriver ends. I could literally completely disassemble almost any furnace or a/c unit with that thing. The other is a simple Pittsburg Pro screwdriver with a reversible long driver bit, with 1/4" slotted on one end and #2 phillips on the other. I take it everywhere I go and have two or three as spare backups. To me, I love a good, well made screwdriver, but I hate having to carry a whole slew of them, when I need several different sizes. A multi driver is just sooooo much easier to deal with. I can see where mostly mechanics would want a specific driver for the job at hand, but for repair work, I only carry a selection of screwdrivers in my backup tool bag, just in case, so far, I've not found the case for them.

Try the Proto Duratek drivers. They feel great in the hand and the handle material is pretty well impervious to any solvent or chemical you might have in the garage. I have used the set I have quite a bit and never had a problem with them stripping screw heads or with tip breakage.

I have Klein screwdriver set. I cannot say that it impressed me a lot, but the fact it had helped with many things. So according to me Klein screwdrivers is not that bad.

I just bought a set of Wiha HD and PB Swiss rainbow colored philips and straight.

Each is good for its own reason.

I like the heft of the HD Wiha, but the best weighting Id say, goes to my JIS vessel driver, which looks a lot like the Wiha HD.

Unless you have a special application then anything other than a JIS screw driver is a waste of time. Vessel make some great JIS screwdrivers that will work well in your Phillips head screws.

https://youtu.be/3SSLsJNgn4M

As he says in the video. It is a Phillips screw yet the JIS screw driver performs better than the Phillips screw driver. Now imagine the JIS screw driver in a JIS screw like you will find on a lot of Japanese machines.

Last edited:
We us PB swiss at work.

They are incredible long lasting quality, because the blade are so hard that they virtually dont wear.

But that is also the only downside: Dont even think about to use them like a crowbar as everybody do sometimes with Screwdrivers. E.g. Opening a tin of paint.

The Blade of the PB swiss will snap away.

If you consider this, they will serve your grandchilds.

Last edited:
Matco made Witte Torque II screwdrivers are amazing, I use them everyday. Fit the hand great , blades are super high quality. Will easily last a lifetime.

Wera, Wiha, SO, Williams, older CMan Pros (red, comfort grips)... depending on what your looking for. Hex at base of shank, hex or round shank, striking cap, ACR or diamond tip, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back