Long wait between 1st click-off and 2nd click-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Costco tonight filling up. Topped off after the first click-off, but I was able to pump like an extra 3 gallons before the 2nd click-off.
confused2.gif
21.gif

lol.

The nozzle probably backed away from the filler hole, triggering the autostop. The pump might have pumped too fast, triggering the autostop. Your vent tube in the gas tank might be clogged, causing a backup in the filler-neck, triggering an autostop.

Or it's a conspiracy.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Pump, click, done, go.

Yup, I almost always finish after the first click. The only time I don't is when I know without a doubt the tank is not full.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Was at Costco tonight filling up. Topped off after the first click-off, but I was able to pump like an extra 3 gallons before the 2nd click-off.
confused2.gif
21.gif

Some vehicles don't seem to get on with some pumps. We have one truck at work where if you use a certain pump at the local Petro-Canada you have to hold the fuel nozzle just outside the ring in the filler neck or sit there for half an hour holding the fuel nozzle barely cracked open with the fuel just dribbling in. If you try to fill it normally it keeps clicking off every 2-3 seconds.

Yeah, sometimes that happens if the nozzle is mispositioned or something.
I always go to first click too; there is an issue with these cars filling the EVAP canister if topped off too much.
But I know roughly how much fuel is needed to fill up based on the position of my gas gauge, so I can add more if I feel it underfilled.

confused2.gif
21.gif

Your vent line may be partially restricted or kinked. Or it might just have been a fluke. If it keeps doing it you can check the vent. Some pumps are adjusted too sensitivity on the shutoff.

How does this relate to alternative fuels?

The local truck stop on US 30 dropped Shell and started providing fuel from who knows where. Change over involved replacing all the pumps and the new pumps are a pita. Have to stand there and nurse fuel into the tank very carefully or they will click off. No, it's not my vehicle, it's the sensors on the new pumps. I like buying fuel there as they sell ****** gallons of fuel, so it hasn't been sitting around in a tank collecting moisture. Keep hoping the complaints will finally get the problem solved. If it ain't one thing, it's three.
frown.gif

confused2.gif
21.gif

Mine (@ Costco) clicked off 1st time after 2.5 gallons! (started with tank EMPTY!!)
confused.gif

2nd click at 3 gallons!
smirk.gif

3rd click at 3.25
eek.gif

4th click at 3.75
mad.gif

had to just hold the [censored] lever (on low) and got the other 8 gallons in just fine !
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

...some pumps . . . (nothing wrong with car - works fine every where else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back