EBC-Green vs Red vs Yellow pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am looking to replace my current Akebono pads, which are about 2 years old and will need replacement by Spring. I am a bit surprised they didnt last longer on my car in signature. They still have some pad material left, but I wouldnt get more than 1 full year out of them and plan to change them out in spring anyways. I am not sure if my jobber branded rotots had alot to do with it or not, but I plan to replace the rotors also to a brand name (please feel free to recommend a long lasting good quality branded replacement). So I am planning to use EBC green, red or yellow. I just want much better stopping power. My Corolla isnt driven that hard but I found the Akebono to not have a whole lot of bite. I checked reviews and it seems the Green pads are not ceramic, the red are, and im not sure about the yellow. I just want the best stopping power, along with a pad that lasts. I plan to replace the abutment clips as well and add syl glide silicone lube on the necessary parts to ensure the best possible comnbination. I have had the brake fluid flushed already last year as well. I am looking for anyones experience with these pads, and any recommendations.. price is not a concern, it appears green to red is 20$ difference and red to yellow is like 5-10$.. Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Also, my rear brakes are drum brakes and still have life remaining.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Racing pads are going to eat your rotors. You have to pay to play.

Yeah I am not too worried about that as I wont be braking that hard, would just like the additional braking power if needed. I assume better rotors should be able to handle the stronger biting pads? I dont drive as much as I used to.. but if I need to do a rotor and pad change every 2 years it wont bother me..

I put a set of EBC Ultimax on my Saturn and really like them. They have been on over 3 years and still bite well and are quiet and little to no dust on my wheels.
A great pad for a daily driver!

Also make sure to clean and adjust the rear shoes, if the rears aren't doing their fair share of the braking, the fronts will wear more rapidly.

We put a set of EBC Greenstuff pads and EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors on the front of our CX-9. Great stopping, no noise, horrible dust. When the pads wear out I'll replace them with EBC's lowest dust pads.

I used autoanything.com to find the part numbers we needed and then bought from Amazon. Got the set of Rotors for $119!

It's not just brakes but tyres too.

If you can stamp on the brakes and make the ABS cycle then your tyres arent good enough.

If you can stamp on the brake and the ABS does not cycle then your brakes aren't good enough.

Having said that, green stuff is a mild upgrade for street use! Red stuff is a low dust street pad, Yellows are street/track day, blue and orange are full on race pads.

In your shoes I'd go yellow.

Originally Posted By: Olas

If you can stamp on the brakes and make the ABS cycle then your tyres arent good enough.

If you can stamp on the brake and the ABS does not cycle then your brakes aren't good enough.

+1

If you want lower stopping distance get a stickier tire.
It takes quite a bit of tire before you're needing to do something about brakes.

Originally Posted By: Olas

Having said that, green stuff is a mild upgrade for street use! Red stuff is a low dust street pad, Yellows are street/track day, blue and orange are full on race pads.

In your shoes I'd go yellow.

Yeah, I was leaning towards yellow based on price alone. I dont have ABS, and my tires are Hakka R2's on year 2.. and in summer im running Pirelli P7's (will use them for one more season and ditch, they will be at 4/32 by end of summer)

I've used the Yellows on two cars and currently have them on my Genesis Coupe. They've about had it though with 45k miles and three or four track days. Never let me down though.

What is it you are looking for, improved initial bite (even when cold) orr do you want better fade resistance?

I tried the EBC green once, i throw them away after 10.000 Kms. Worst brake pad i ever used in my life in any vehicle.
No bite, disc colured blue, and one scarry moment after a spirited drive through the Mountains!

I rather prefer to clean the wheels from time to time if this is the price für dust free brake pads!

I used EBC metall sinter pads in my Motorcycle. The performance was great, but they eat away the really expensive brake discs.

And according to some german forums, EBC has trouble with some of the Yellow and Red pads, becaus of Pads loosening from the backing Plate.

EBC? Never ever again for me.

I switched to FERRODO DS PERFOMANCE pads on my car and they are wonderfull. They last, they have bite, and you could go as fast as you want and brake as hard as you want, this brake pad works. Through the mountains in sport mode? No Problem. Hit the brake full with anti lock engaged on the Autobahn at 180 Km/h? No Problem.
They last, the brake disc looks shiny like a mirror. These Brake pads are simply great!

I also switched my Motorcycle to regualr organic Ferrodo brake pads. Beside they need a little bit more force to pull the leaver, they also work great and the Rotors look like new so far.

As you say: My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk
I put a set of EBC Ultimax on my Saturn and really like them. They have been on over 3 years and still bite well and are quiet and little to no dust on my wheels.
A great pad for a daily driver!

Also make sure to clean and adjust the rear shoes, if the rears aren't doing their fair share of the braking, the fronts will wear more rapidly.
Ultimax are great street pads.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Yeah I am not too worried about that as I wont be braking that hard, would just like the additional braking power if needed. I assume better rotors should be able to handle the stronger biting pads? I dont drive as much as I used to.. but if I need to do a rotor and pad change every 2 years it wont bother me..

You do not want racing pads on a street-driven car.

First, they do not stop well when the rotors are cold. I'm not talking about winter time, I'm talking about "you just pulled out of the garage and need to stop quickly because there's a kid on a bike". They need to be kept warm to stop effectively.

Second, they are noisy as [censored]. On cold rotors, it's twice as bad. The squeal like train brakes, but also make obnoxious grinding noises. Your passengers will think the car needs new brakes, and bystanders will wince from the squeal.

Third, they will destroy the rotors. Racers are fine swapping rotors and pads frequently (they want heavy rotors to dissipate the heat). I suspect you don't want to keep replacing rotors every few thousand miles.

The only benefit racing pads provide is during sustained heavy braking, like on a race track. They will stop WORSE than a street pad when you are sputtering around town, even on a panic stop. Unless your daily commute involves repeated 100-0 stops, avoid any sort of "race" pad.

Ceramic should be fine. They have decent cold bite, aren't terribly noisy, and produce a lighter-colored dust that won't make the wheels look nasty after a day. Plenty of good choices out there.

If you absolutely must have that little bit of extra stopping power, go for slotted rotors. The slotting does help with cold bite, but at the expense of pad life and a grinding noise at low speeds.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

then you don't need any of those pads, OEM are your best bet. there's other things that need consideration if you want brake powerwhen needed. grippy tyres, not the LRR or long thread life ones, and a regular inspection/clen of the brakes esp if you don't drive much.

The high performance pads might not even want to stop if they're cold... think motorway driving here or the first few applications of the brakes in the morning.

Look at it this way: aren't your current brakes ableto lock the wheels in an emergency (or ABS kicks in)? If they do, then you have maxed out the brake power already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back