Redline shockproof

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 04 Lincoln Navigator, with a LSD. I really wanted to try the Redline shockproof since i hear rave things

Shockproof is more for a racing or "shock" application. When I contacted Redline, they recommended their gear oil for a street or towing app. OTOH, it's great stuff in the final drive of shaft driven bikes, having a strong following in the BMW, Honda, and Kawasaki crowd.

I use Shockproof in both the transmission and final drive of my bike, but I don't think it's ideal for your application.

Red Line makes outstanding gear oils and ATF. Use their regular 75w-140 here.

"Shockproof IS NOT COMPATIBLE with clutch type limited slip diffs like yours! Use their GL-5 75W-140 gear oil."

I'm glad someone finally said this before someone gunked up their diff(s) with non-soluble moly.

For other applications, Red Line Oil will give you the cSt viscosity for their Shockproof oils. Use it to cross reference them to SAE gear oil weights using a chart like this one:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/BrorJace/Oil Analysis/ViscosityChart4_SAE-J306.gif

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Shockproof IS NOT COMPATIBLE with clutch type limited slip diffs like yours! Use their gl-5 75-140 gear oil.

^^^THIS is what Dave at their tech line told me, since the Shockproof has large amounts of moly in it and will not allow the clutch plates to grab when necessary.

Go with their regular 75W-140, or their 75W-140 NS, and then add the Motorcraft XL-3 friction modifier.
wink.gif

I stuck it in my Nissan LSD, and I can categorically state that it does NOT lead to clutch slip...exactly the opposite, it was as tight as any other non-lsd oil in that diff.

The diff would bang every few tens of metress as the tyres wound the axles up...turns were horrific.

Drained it out, and nearly half a litre was hung up in the housing...took three fills of LS90 to run clear...then RP 75W-140 went in...love it.

I'd like to bump this, as I'm looking into it myself as well. from a viscosity-protection standpoint, it sounds very good to use, but doesn't seem recommended for clutch type diffs, which is disappointing. I'm actually OK if they diff's clutch packs DONT grab as well, as my rear diff is extremely aggressive, and mine BANGs as it is anyway from time to time.

Could be friction modifiers. So I guess the question for me is more, will this Lightweight shockproof protect my rear diff (Cusco 1.5 way rear diff in Evo) in autox & road racing, and some street?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I stuck it in my Nissan LSD, and I can categorically state that it does NOT lead to clutch slip...exactly the opposite, it was as tight as any other non-lsd oil in that diff.

The diff would bang every few tens of metress as the tyres wound the axles up...turns were horrific.

Drained it out, and nearly half a litre was hung up in the housing...took three fills of LS90 to run clear...then RP 75W-140 went in...love it.

Is your Nissan's rear diff a sealed unit like mine that requires no ls add?

question about lightweight/heavyweight shockproof - the website says, for example, lightweight shockproof flows like a 75w90 and protects like a 75w140 - but whenever I've dealt with it, my god it flows like a 75w140 too. what part of it do they mean flows like 75w90? at hot temps?

I used it in my LSD truck once. I got chatter. Dropped some LSD additive in, all was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back