good by wawa hello costco gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a loyal wawa customer until a new Costco opened in my neighborhood. As of today, Costco was offering regular for 1.35. The two nearby wawas were 1.45 and 1.54. With Costco being top tier and significantly cheaper than the others, l use Costco almost exclusively.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Costco gas is great, usually best price (or close to it), fresh and tier one. What's better than that?

100%

Here they change the hose filters more often than required and the turnover is very good. The local Costco tanks up from 4 to 10 times a day.

My truck seems to idle rougher on walmart and Kroger fuel. Either that or the power service cetane booster really works for cleaning injectors and such.

Yep, it's good fuel at about the best prices around. Especially for premium when they beat everybody by 20-30 cents.

I use costco top tier gas whenever it is sensible to do so. 76 and Philips 66 are also priced well around me for top tier.

Almost spat out my drink reading this..our gas went up to 1.05...PER LITRE!!!! can you send some cheap gas this way? LOL

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Almost spat out my drink reading this..our gas went up to 1.05...PER LITRE!!!! can you send some cheap gas this way? LOL

Rolla,
You guys pay more for gas in your province, but your car insurance is much cheaper than insurance is in Ontario.

Gas at the Oshawa Costco is 83.9/L for regular today.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Yeah but you probably have better roads and better kept infrastructure.

Price is among the lowest, but the Costco near me almost always has lines 10 cars deep or more when I am passing by. For a savings of maybe a buck a tank vs the nearby stations with no wait, I'll pass on Costco.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Price is among the lowest, but the Costco near me almost always has lines 10 cars deep or more when I am passing by. For a savings of maybe a buck a tank vs the nearby stations with no wait, I'll pass on Costco.

Wow...how much gas do people waste idling their cars in line?
I'd pay $5 more per tank to avoid a disaster like that. Or snag an EZ pass earlier in the day...
;^)

The Costco near me is on my direct route to work, and I pass by as they open at 6 am. I could get a membership and gas up then.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Wow...how much gas do people waste idling their cars in line?
I'd pay $5 more per tank to avoid a disaster like that. Or snag an EZ pass earlier in the day...
;^)

A difference of a dime or less a gallon is not even on my radar. I fill up when I need gas at whatever non-generic station is convenient. Sometimes it is top tier gas, other times not. I see absolutely no noticeable difference in how the car runs or the fuel economy.

My time is worth more than 6 or 7 bucks an hour, so there's no way I'm sitting in line for 10 or fifteen minutes to save a buck fifty. Add in the limited payment options and I just don't see the appeal of Costco. Maybe for those who can go there at off hours and have a membership anyway.

I let mine expire a few years ago when they started charging $15 a tire for installation. That put their tire prices with coupon pretty close to what can be had at other tire shops that offer greater selection and faster service. The main store is more of the same for me. Limited selection, best deals not a good value for small families, long, slow lines, limited payment options and then you have to wait in line again to get out while a single employee checks all the carts going out. No thanks.

the wife and i tend to fill up with costco gas or tier one that is closer our costco is almost an hour away so its a twice a month deal so i guess its 50/50 use for us but always shoot for tier 1

Originally Posted By: oilotaku
the wife and i tend to fill up with costco gas or tier one that is closer our costco is almost an hour away so its a twice a month deal so i guess its 50/50 use for us but always shoot for tier 1

I am lucky to have a Costco less than 2 miles from my home. Right now Costco is 2.05 a gallon, the Chevron and 76 station less than a block away are 2.69.
I like Chevron gasoline, but I don't think it is worth 64 cents a gallon more.

I usually go to Costco when they first open at 5:30, but even during the busiest part of the day I've never waited more than 10 minutes. They have about 30 pumps and the lines move pretty quickly. The lines in the store at the register - not always so fast!
frown.gif

I also love Costco top tier gas. Less than 3 miles from my house, and no waiting in lines.

Question: When I went today, the spread between regular and premium was exactly $0.30. I know Costco is cheaper anyway, but why is the spread only 30 cents, when many retailers get 40 to 50 cents difference? Seems like they've decided people will pay up for premium, and make some extra $$ on that grade.

Comments?

And Costco adds their own additives locally at the station. Top Tier requires 3 X the EPA required amount. Costco does 5 X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back