48 vs. 50 State Legal Catalytic Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 278,000 miles on my 1997 F-150 4.6, my catalytic converter(s) have finally had it. Long story short; One night driving home, my truck started pinging, coughing and sputtering. I looked under the vehicle to find a cherry red converter. Later, I confirmed it by removing the sensor and scoping the pipe. The substrate, without a doubt is shot. This is an Ohio truck and I highly doubt I would move to California or NY in my lifetime.
I can pick up a complete stainless steel Magnaflow 50 state legal bolt on OE style catalytic converter set complete for less money than a 48 state catalytic converter set at my local exhaust shop cash and carry. The catalytic converter set was a mis order and the owner wants it gone. It has been sitting at his shop for years. He told me if I put on this catalytic converter set on my truck, I would have to flash the computer since it is not calibrated for 50 state emissions. I have heard others say, my truck wont know the difference.
Anyone familiar with 50 state legal catalytic converters?

If your truck was 48 state, it can use 48 state emissions equipment and still go to CA/NY (assuming you have 7,500 miles or whatever the limit is).

I can't see it being an issue--why would the ECU care if the exhaust was cleaner? Should just last longer.

I presume you have to pass ODBII emission check? If not, I'd slap it in and see if the light comes back.

In Ohio, only vehicles registered in an E-Check county (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, or Summit counties) are tested. I do not live in one of these counties.
At some point, I can see all 88 Ohio counties testing. Furthermore, there is legislation being written currently that will require emissions testing for all 50 states in order to register your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
In Ohio, only vehicles registered in an E-Check county (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, or Summit counties) are tested. I do not live in one of these counties.
At some point, I can see all 88 Ohio counties testing. Furthermore, there is legislation being written currently that will require emissions testing for all 50 states in order to register your vehicle.
They really need that in New Mexico and Alaska. "Written", BTW doesn't mean passed.

Your truck will not care. Your O2 sensor after the cat is only there to detect the presence of a cat.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Furthermore, there is legislation being written currently that will require emissions testing for all 50 states in order to register your vehicle.

Have a source to back that up?

Use the 50 state setup, no recalibration required. Truck won't know the difference.

Be sure the engine isn't running rich or misfiring, or it will burn out the new cat. Cat melting down starts with an excessive amount of unburned gas leaving the engine.

I will try to google it when I have more time, but I have read that even race cars modified from factory passenger cars must eventually pass emissions testing. I'll dig.

My CA legal 4runner has a two staged cat. The non CA version is single staged.
If you can confirm that both versions are single stage, I don't think there would be an issue. Except, possibly the CA version might be longer, so not a direct bolt in. Otherwise, if both are single stage, it should work.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Be sure the engine isn't running rich or misfiring, or it will burn out the new cat. Cat melting down starts with an excessive amount of unburned gas leaving the engine.

^^ This.

A glowing red CC doesn't necessarily mean the CC is shot. It means it's trying to process too much hydrocarbons. I've also seen cases where CC's mounted close to the engine melt down from excessively lean fuel/air ratios.

When I looked down the pipe, it was filled with fragments and cooled molten balls. About 1/3 of the substrate seems to be blocked solid. Mixture is proper, all sensors work. Three weeks earlier, I replaced heads, MLS head gaskets, timing chain, oil pump and put brand new injectors in. The head gasket that blew was on the same side as the glowing cat. I will admit to doing some stupid things over the last 20 years and almost 280,000 miles of ownership of this truck. Among one of them is; If I had some leftover of petroleum based whatever, I would just dump it in the gas tank to get rid of it. I do not do this anymore. I'm sure to get blasted for that, but just thought it might help. If I keep the truck under 1800RPM, all seems well. The problem is, at 65MPH with its 4.10 gears, it runs at 2050RPM

When it said 50 states, that means it will work for all 50 states, so it is not a 2 stage vs 1 stage setup difference on the truck that has configuration like "fit CARB vehicle but not legal to sell in California" for out of state California emission car.

Seems like you are getting a more durable CAL cat for cheap, can I say jackpot?

Quote:
Seems like you are getting a more durable CAL cat for cheap, can I say jackpot?

Thanks PandaBear. This is what I was first thinking.

When I go to the Magnaflow site, the 48 and 50 state cats look the same, but I am no expert on CC's

Originally Posted By: spackard
The one that is for CA emissions has more precious metals in it.
Seems the aftermarket ones weren't lasting very long so awhile ago the CARB passed regulations for aftermarket converters to make sure they could make it 5 years or 50,000 miles. Parts & labor.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcat.htm

What is funny, well I have a sick sense of humor about this, is that does not apply to the OEMs. When I sell a Ford cat it has a 2yr/unlimited mile warranty. When I sell a Mazda cat is has a 12mo/12k mile warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back