need help adjusting emergency brake, 2010 Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Toyota Rav 4, 4x4, Sport.

I just replaced brakes and rotors on all 4 corners with power stop pads and rotors.

Vehicle stops much better than original brakes and stops silent, no squeeks, everything feels good.

Before I did the brakes, the ebrake was not adjusted properly. It feels loose in the console, and I could get it to engage at the very end of the trail, just enough to pass inspection I guess.

So, when I removed the OEM rotors, I needed to loosen and tighten a star gear on the front of the rotor, under a rubber cover.

The manual says adjust the gear to full lock, then back it off 8 clicks to get proper brake adjustment.

So with 8 clicks, I get a ton of drag on the rotor from the emergency brake, so I had to loosen it up much more. I'm now getting a very little amount of drag, but the emergency brake is not engaging at all.

Is there any other adjustment I can make, or is it only the gear inside the rear brake rotor?

Inside the rear rotor is a little drum brake setup for the emergency brake. I cleaned it all up with brake clean, and there is plenty of shoe left on the thing, but I do not want to take it apart. I am not good with drum brakes.

Thanks,

JH

is there drag/rust in the cable?
does it feel like it is retracting all the way?

if you set it to 8, pull on e brake then release it, and go check the shoes are you able to squeeze them back together more?

if so seems like wither cable is rusty for springs are weak.

also how many miles? the shoes could be warn out but still "look good" what is the spec for thickness?

Last edited:
here, look here this should help....

http://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0Toyota%20RAV4%20Repair%20Manual/

Last edited:
Does the manual tell you to adjust the cable tension with the E-brake on or off ?

On my car, I adjust the E-brake cable with the pedal pushed all the way down and fully engaged.

Thanks all. I have yet to find a repair manual for this car that explains the process at all.

The only thing I can find is a diagram that says to "contract" or "expand" the parking brake shoe by moving the little gear up or down.

Also it says to move it all the way to lock then back it off 8 clicks.

I found another thing online where they mentioned doing an adjustment in the console of the car on the handbrake cable.

Mine was very loose and had tons of slack.

There are two nuts inside the console, loosen one up, then tighten the other, then tighten the other one up.

Parking brake FEELS great in the car. No wobble, nothing loose. Feels like a proper handbrake now.

Still the car rolls, lol.

I read on some forums that the emergency brake is a static brake, which means you only use it when stopped. I wonder if a previous owner had jammed the e-brake on when driving.

I looked at the parking brake shoes, they have plenty of meat on them. Now I'm starting to think about replacing them, and new springs, as the springs may not be giving tension like they should.

I thought parking brake shoe springs were something that lasts the life of the car?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Also it says to move it all the way to lock then back it off 8 clicks.

Is that with the parking brake lever pulled up or pushed down ?

Backing off 8 clicks is less than half a turn of the star wheel. Try this, tighten the star wheel till the wheel is locked then turn it back just enough that the drum has slight resistance.
You should still feel/hear the shoes dragging very slightly. This will come into correct zero clearance in a few miles. Now adjust the cable inside the car for the correct amount of clicks, I usually go 5-7 clicks.

Adjusting the star wheel usually takes care of it unless the cables have stretched a little.
You need to remove the middle console IIRC to get at the adjustment nut. Did you adjust the star wheel?
How many clicks do you have at the lever?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Now adjust the cable inside the car for the correct amount of clicks, I usually go 5-7 clicks.

Is that with the parking brake lever engaged or disengaged ?

Originally Posted By: Doog
I can't figure out where to adjust the cable inside the car.

On the 2010 Rav4, the adjustment nuts are located right under the power mirror switch panel in the center console. Pop the switch panel out, unplug it, then you are looking at a lock nut and an adjustment nut.

I don't think you should mess with them, the adjustment should be made at the star gear (according to what I have read)

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Now adjust the cable inside the car for the correct amount of clicks, I usually go 5-7 clicks.

Is that with the parking brake lever engaged or disengaged ?

That's with the hand-lever all the way down (off/disengaged).

One thing to remember is that the "5-7 clicks" thing varies from person to person. Some folks yank that lever a lot harder than others, so they will be able to achieve 7 clicks where someone else might only be able to achieve 5.

Adjusting the star wheel usually takes care of it unless the cables have stretched a little.
You need to remove the middle console IIRC to get at the adjustment nut. Did you adjust the star wheel?
How many clicks do you have at the lever?

I will count the clicks when I get out of work. Does the adjustment of the star wheel need to happen when the parking brake is engaged, or disengaged?

That is the question not addressed in the service manual.

Thank you for the response, that is how I adjusted it first. With brake lever down.

I'll take it to my buddys shop and see what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back