EP-00 grease for lawnmower gear box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was strange that Poulan did not

mention any lubrication maintenance for the

gear box on my self-propelled lawnmower.

So, I called the dealer. He said it definitely

should have a special grease and needs to be

refilled like once a year. "Do you have the

'special grease'", I asked ? "Yes."

So, I went by his shop. It was $4.95 for

a 9 oz. tube.

I've never heard of it. It's called "EP-00".

This particular brand says "Super Lube 00 Grease"

and is made by American Lubricating Company,

Memphis.

The end-cap on the tube has a pointed end

that fit nicely in the little opening on the

top of the gear box. It took about 2 oz. for

a refill, and the job was done. This particular

gear box probably only holds 2 1/2 oz., so

it was definitely very low.

(Thought this might cover an oversight in

someone else's owner's manual.)

EP 00 refers to the NLGI viscocity grade (EP=extreme pressure, the numbers refer to its relative viscocity, eg. EP 00, EP 0, EP 1, EP 2, etc. The higher the number the higher the viscocity)
An EP 00 is a very light semi-fluid grease. A lot of blenders will make some greases in that viscocity grade as it is specced in various types of machinery, eg, I have a vehicle that specs an EP 00 multi-purpose Lithium/3% Moly grease in the front swivel hubs/CV joints.

I know this post is very old but someone new may want to know about 00.
TSC (Tractor Supply Center) store sells 00 for about $5 qt. Other farm stores should carry it also,it is used in agriculture machinery.

Last edited:
I saw that "OO" at TSC when looking for some for my mower, but the packaging didnt inspire confidence that it was a quality product.

Ended up mixing some mobil-1 gear oil with mobil-one grease for the mowers gear box and it's been working, but I would like to eventually put a real "00" back in.

This is the same grease snowblower gearboxes use. It's hard to find. I got some online, the ALCO 00 in the 9oz squeeze tube.

Also the used on the nose gear on chain saws.

@SOHCman....just pay attention that you dont mix GL5 oil in that oil/grease mix...because those lawnmower...snowthrower gearboxes have bronze bushings/bearings...GL5 is not yellow metal friendly!

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
@SOHCman....just pay attention that you dont mix GL5 oil in that oil/grease mix...because those lawnmower...snowthrower gearboxes have bronze bushings/bearings...GL5 is not yellow metal friendly!

Good point, thanks.

I didn't think they were bronze when I split the case to service it, but I will make sure when I service it in the spring.

I'm using MTL, it is a little thin but won't attack the brass worm gear on my Ariens. Thanks for reminding me to check the level
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: old1
Just an FYI, any Snapper dealer should have "00" grease also.

I buy the Snapper 00 grease from my local hardware that is a Snapper dealer. I use it on some self propelled lawnmower transmissions, and it's actually what is called for because it is the right viscosity, and it won't pour out the end of the axle seals.

Originally Posted by tdi-rick
EP 00 refers to the NLGI viscocity grade (EP=extreme pressure, the numbers refer to its relative viscocity, eg. EP 00, EP 0, EP 1, EP 2, etc. The higher the number the higher the viscocity)
An EP 00 is a very light semi-fluid grease. A lot of blenders will make some greases in that viscocity grade as it is specced in various types of machinery, eg, I have a vehicle that specs an EP 00 multi-purpose Lithium/3% Moly grease in the front swivel hubs/CV joints.

Okay, I know that this is really old, but I wanted to correct an assertion here. The NLGI grades are not the viscosity of the grease. Each grease will have a thickness (the NLGI grade) independent of the viscosity of the base oil in the grease.

I recently purchase a Qt. of 00 grease at Tractor Supply in Middletown Ct.

It is located in the tractor parts area in the the rear of the store near the batteries and tractor parts,

Not in the Auto oil and grease area..

1 Qt. 00 grease $5.95 + tax.

I'm using it in my Simplicity snow blowers auger drive.

Its similar to the consistency of gel toothpaste or what you sometime find in a babies diaper.

TOMB
CONVERT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back