Rotella T6 vs Motul 300V Oil Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

So after doing lots of research about oil I came across these 2 oils that have the biggest followings for our motorcycles. I initially posted about these 2 oils before, but now doing much more research on the subject find that indeed both oils are great, and it is a matter of your use, if your just normal riding or getting setup for the track that can determine what oil is right for you.

There may be no 1 right answer, but I think its safe to say both of these oils are great choice for the majority of motorcyclists! Let me know what your thoughts are; I made this comparison with my thoughts and research on this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDjEF57q3Y

Last edited:
Well, from a price perspective, you could change the T6 twice as often and still come out ahead. If you cross over into the U.S., T6 5w-40 is $20 gallon at Walmart. Motul is around $50 for a similar quantity here.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Well, from a price perspective, you could change the T6 twice as often and still come out ahead. If you cross over into the U.S., T6 5w-40 is $20 gallon at Walmart. Motul is around $50 for a similar quantity here.

Agreed. I hope our Canadian Dollar recovers so I can stock up in the U.S.
How has your experience been with T6? My thoughts were based on all the research I did on this forum and many other forums on Rotella T6, the oil analysis etc. I really feel it is a great oil and while Motul may be the better oil, and the proper choice for people who take their motorcycles to the extreme, on track etc, I really believe in this T6 product fills MOST of peoples needs on a large variety ( but not all) motorcycles.

What is funny is, this spec sheet on Rotella T6 also shows its now JASO MA2 certified as well. This must be new as all other reviews and analysis shows T6 as JASO MA only.: https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/epcblobstorage/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6_5W-40_(CJ-4)_(en-US)_TDS.pdf

Last edited:
Jaso MA was the old spec

JASO MA1 is not good for bikes

JASO MA2 is good for bikes.

so you want JASO MA or MA2 but not MA1

Originally Posted By: Sonduren
Originally Posted By: umungus1122

Agreed. I hope our Canadian Dollar recovers so I can stock up in the U.S.
How has your experience been with T6? My thoughts were based on all the research I did on this forum and many other forums on Rotella T6, the oil analysis etc. I really feel it is a great oil and while Motul may be the better oil, and the proper choice for people who take their motorcycles to the extreme, on track etc, I really believe in this T6 product fills MOST of peoples needs on a large variety ( but not all) motorcycles.

What is funny is, this spec sheet on Rotella T6 also shows its now JASO MA2 certified as well. This must be new as all other reviews and analysis shows T6 as JASO MA only.: https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/epcblobstorage/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6_5W-40_(CJ-4)_(en-US)_TDS.pdf

I have two V-twins(Hoada 1100 Suzuki 1500) and both used less oil when I used Rotella 15/40 compared to Rotella 5/40. In my '08 Wing I use Rotella 5/40 and that engine doesn't use any oil no matter what I put in it.

ROD

In my opinion the Motul is the better oil. That being said, I can't justify the extra cost.
I have been using T6 in my roadrace bikes for the last 9 years and was using 15w-40 Rotella for the 6 years before that.
Engines usually get refreshed every 3 years and I have never seen any indications of oil failure during teardowns.
Have never had an issue with it and will continue to use it until a better deal comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back