2013 Toyota Camry oil filter leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I do not bother with the small drain, in fact i may RTV it up on both my cars at the next oil change because it is just another point of failure that shouldnt exist.

You are right. I am not sure the purpose of the second O ring on the toyota. I think the service tech pushes the plunger into it to drain the oil from the canister before actually opening the canister. May be a thing where the service techs don't get hot oil sprayed all over them.

Just opening the canister without touching the little O ring must dump oil everywhere and make a big mess. I use the little tool to release all the oil and I get no drips anywhere.

Total time is maybe 5 minutes to change the filter with all the O rings.

I figured, if it was a disposable metal can, it'd drip oil all over the place, which is why I don't bother with the pre-drain bit. Also since I have 0W20 I just change the oil on a cold motor, no heat issues.

Traction, I was referring to the filter cap itself cracking, not the wrench. I'm not sure if that came across in my post.

Regarding the extra O-rings and drain spouts: My 1.8 doesn't have this drain feature, but if you orient the cap a certain way as you loosen it, all of the oil will drain out. That part of the process is actually less messy than a lot of spin-on filters I have changed.

Did you remove the filter cap using a 3/8 drive or a a cap removal tool.
As mentioned in prior posts, I never touch the small center cap drain.
Check, oil, and replace both rings if in fact it has the center drain on the cap.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Just opening the canister without touching the little O ring must dump oil everywhere and make a big mess.

I just put my oil collection pan under it and dump it all. It only goes in the pan. That way I only deal with one oring. Either way works...but the second oring is just another point to leak IMO so I leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back