Amsoil Dual Gard Cold filters with .032" Orifice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I now have 8000km's on my Amsoil Dual Gard bypass system I installed on my 09 Ford f350 with the 6.4 Powerstroke. After 3000Kms on the system it was brought to my attention that the stock orifice of .094" was too large for the capacity of the Powerstroke engine. Although I had good oil pressure and good flow through the filters I decided to use a .032 Orifice as was recommended by both Amsoil and others on this forum. I've now run another 5000kms on this system since changing out the stock .094" and installing the .032" orifice. I just took an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone labs with a total of 8000km's on the oil, but noticed the filters are cold on the bottom half. This indicates that the flow it too slow through the filters and needs to be increased ( what you get when you put a class 8 tractor filter on a small truck). I never had time to change out the orifice to a larger one (was thinking .050" this time) Question is, is it normal to have cold filters in the winter at -15C or should they be hot as well in winter and summer? I'm running Shell Rotella T 15/40 year round and had hot filters with the .094" disk intalled at -30C. We'll see what the Blackstone results are when I get them back, but thought I'd ask for input from you guys. If you haven't seen this system here's some pictures and a video.

Mounted to the Passenger side frame rail:

Video of the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_-W1zXxImc

Taking an Oil Sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0FV5PjJ64

I am not able to answer your question absolutely, but to my knowledge, the bypass filter should be hot which indicates proper flow. Was there an option for different size orifices in the Amsoil unit? I have the unit for the 6.7L Powerstroke (I bought the kit in parts as I have better hoses than Amsoil supplies). I will be installing it soon when the weather cooperates and I have some filter shields fabricated, but there was no option for different orifices on the unit I purchased.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am not able to answer your question absolutely, but to my knowledge, the bypass filter should be hot which indicates proper flow. Was there an option for different size orifices in the Amsoil unit? I have the unit for the 6.7L Powerstroke (I bought the kit in parts as I have better hoses than Amsoil supplies). I will be installing it soon when the weather cooperates and I have some filter shields fabricated, but there was no option for different orifices on the unit I purchased.

Thanks for the reply. I too bought the kit from parts as well and they only come with the one orifice installed, in my case it's the .094" orifice. I made several Orifices on my lathe to adjust the filter flow starting at .032",.050",.060" and the stock size of .094. I installed the .032" in August last year and it seemed to be hot, but this winter it is definitely cold on the bottom halves. I think the .032" orifice is fine for the single Bypass filter as in your case, but not enough flow for 2 bypass filters, but not having run the single unit I have nothing to compare it to. I will change out the .032" orifice and install the .050" and see how that does.

Originally Posted By: A310
I will change out the .032" orifice and install the .050" and see how that does.
Keep me posted--definitely like reading about your setup. Do you have any concerns about the filters being unprotected? I am probably going to have a local shop fabricate a removable "shield" out of 1/8" or 3/16" stainless steel to protect them from flying road debris and off-road obstacles.

I will change out the .032" orifice and install the .050" and see how that does.
Keep me posted--definitely like reading about your setup. Do you have any concerns about the filters being unprotected? I am probably going to have a local shop fabricate a removable "shield" out of 1/8" or 3/16" stainless steel to protect them from flying road debris and off-road obstacles.

I sure will, as far as the filters being unprotected are concerned I haven't had any signs of debris hitting them. The only off road this truck see's is a few 100 km's a year on gravel roads and winter driving with sand and salt etc. I put mud flaps on the truck as well to keep the stones from hitting the filters and that seems to be working great. If you do any serious off road I would definitely recommend a filter guard and is on my to do list as well.:)

Got some time to change out the .032" orifice and install a .060" replacement. Works much better now and the filters are hot again. I put 3000 miles on the truck in the last two weeks, and all is good. Cruising oil pressure in 55 PSI and Idle 27 psi hot. I'm going to leave it at this setting now nd leave it alone. I'll take another sample in 12 months time:)

Got some time to change out the .032" orifice and install a .060" replacement. Works much better now and the filters are hot again. I put 3000 miles on the truck in the last two weeks, and all is good. Cruising oil pressure in 55 PSI and Idle 27 psi hot. I'm going to leave it at this setting now nd leave it alone. I'll take another sample in 12 months time:)
Sound good! The weather is improving to the point of me starting to look at installing mine. Due to the exhaust piping, catalytic converter, and DPF system, I think I am going to have to mount mine towards the front of the truck instead of the rear. I am itching to do it so that I can install my oil pressure gauge at the same time. Thanks for the update!

I am surprised .094" is considered too large a flow taker from a pretty large engine. Just thinking about it, no test, a 3/32" diameter orifice is nothing to an engine like that, plus all the length of the tubing decreasing that flow more. With those smaller orifices like the 1/32" you used, is there much or any oil coming out of an open hose there at all?

On one of my old class 8 trucks, the bypass filter was mounted right behind the drivers door. That way I could put my hand on it to see if it was up to temp, if not it was time to change the filter out.

ROD

Sound good! The weather is improving to the point of me starting to look at installing mine. Due to the exhaust piping, catalytic converter, and DPF system, I think I am going to have to mount mine towards the front of the truck instead of the rear. I am itching to do it so that I can install my oil pressure gauge at the same time. Thanks for the update!

No Problem, now that spring is here, the filters are hot right to the bottom. So I'm happy with them now.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I am surprised .094" is considered too large a flow taker from a pretty large engine. Just thinking about it, no test, a 3/32" diameter orifice is nothing to an engine like that, plus all the length of the tubing decreasing that flow more. With those smaller orifices like the 1/32" you used, is there much or any oil coming out of an open hose there at all?

Yes, there seems to be a decent flow, but not enough to get the filters hot to the bottom. With the .060" the filters are now hot even at -30:)

Originally Posted By: rrounds
On one of my old class 8 trucks, the bypass filter was mounted right behind the drivers door. That way I could put my hand on it to see if it was up to temp, if not it was time to change the filter out.

ROD

Mine are under the passenger door and are easy to reach under and touch.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back