Cleaning Throttle body, necessary service now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the plugs and coil pack boots today in a friends 2005 F150 with the 4.6L V8. The truck had 128k miles on it. As he had installed a aftermarket remote start, I decided to disconnect the battery before I serviced it.
These are the plugs I removed:

5 of them were about .075 gap and the other three were around .090. They are all wet with oil because I had backed them off about half a turn, squirted half a teaspoon of ATF in each hole, and waited about 2 hours before actually removing them. Except for the dry one. That one was already about a turn loose and came out clean on its own. The coil boot on that cylinder was cooked black from the hot combustion gasses escaping around it. My guess is, he would have popped that plug eventually.
After I got all the plugs and boots replaced, I hooked everything back up and started it up.
It ran terrible. It couldn't hold an idle and would oscillate from about 300-500rpm.
I thought, oh, Ill just give it 15 minutes and it'll learn. I went inside and left it idle for 30 minutes. It was no better. I decided I would drive back to his house, and get my OBDLink MX out of my car.
I actually ended up going back there 3 times because I kept forgetting the keys to my car. While I was driving I discovered that it would stall at every stop. And it also stalled often when making turns; not a fun one to loose power steering halfway though a turn. Around this time it started stalling out as soon as I let off the key. So I would have to hold the throttle a bit to keep it running, at least initially.
I ended up calling on my forklift experiance and two-footing it through turns and down to stops, keeping the throttle held a little as my left foot did the braking. I can brake with my left foot as smooth and precise as with my right. So I was able to drive it with only a few incidents of stalling from there on.
After getting my OBDLink out of my car, I discovered it couldn't really tell me anything about what was going on that I didnt already guess.
I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the DBW throttle body was so far out of wack it couldn't learn how to idle with it except in the long-term learning that occurs over 10s of thousands of miles as the throttle body wears out and the PCM adjusts along with it. Since I had disconnected the battery, the PCM had lost all its learning and my fear was the only was to fix it in a reasonable amount of time would be to replace the TB.
In a last ditch effort with a probable dead TB, I pulled it off, and cleaned it out with brake cleaner and a rag. Cleaning all the black gunk off the back and around the sides of the throttle plate.
I also cleaned the MAF, in an effort to eliminate that as a possible problem as well.
taff150tb.jpg

I started it up, my foot far away from the gas; it was all on its own as it fired up quick and went straight to 600rpm idle and purred.
I let it idle for a few minutes as I got my laptop setup to datalog and kicked on the A/C. It had no trouble compensating and raising the idle to 650rpm while the compressor was engaged.
I proceeded to drive it around through all kinds of turns and stops and even a intentional panic stop from 55 on a back road. It handled it, no problem; a review of my logs shows that it just went down to 550 rpm and held, with no underrun of its desired idle. In addition, the throttle response was much improved.
So, Since I did both a MAF clean and a TB clean, I have no idea which did the most good. I should have done them separate, but to be honest, I didnt think anything less than replacing a part would fix it, so it was sort of last ditch. It was running so bad. Do you guys think it was necessary for me to clean it, or do you think the MAF did all the fixing?

Last edited:
I have always checked, and if necessary, cleaned throttle bodies on high mileage injected vehicles. As you noticed, it can really help during a "tune up".

Originally Posted By: JC1
I think the throttle body was more important than the MAF.

So do I. But it was a good idea to clean both. A dirty throttle body or mass air flow sensor can make you think something really bad is wrong, I know from experience.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I have always checked, and if necessary, cleaned throttle bodies on high mileage injected vehicles. As you noticed, it can really help during a "tune up".

I never thought of it as necessary. Whats a little gunk? With DBW, though, I could see it sticking and the PCM overshooting then pulling it back hard, repeat etc.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I never thought of it as necessary. Whats a little gunk? With DBW, though, I could see it sticking and the PCM overshooting then pulling it back hard, repeat etc.

I have seen it make a massive difference in the pre drive by wire days. The first time I thought to do it was back in 1994 or 95 on a a late 80's Ford Ranger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Branson304

So do I. But it was a good idea to clean both. A dirty throttle body or mass air flow sensor can make you think something really bad is wrong, I know from experience.

SO do I.

Recently we had a "TPS" fault in our 5.3L V8 '08 Trailblazer but drilling down through the data it turned out to be gunk buildup at the opening to and around the throttle plate.

Since we were in the area, we also cleaned the MAF sensor.

Much better idle, etc.

i am little bit surprised that idle parameter is kept in volatile memory. Does Ford has specific "idle learn procedure" after disconnecting battery? Usually it involves manually holding the engine speed high until the cooling fan turns on twice. I know Honda has something like that but I also know from fooling around that clearing code from OBD does NOT require idle re-learn.

My Tb went into limp home mode around 50,000km. It was taken to the dealer for warranty. Needed the throttle body cleaned. Ran great for years. I clean it inside and out every couple of years.

Some vehicles PCV is worse than others.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
i am little bit surprised that idle parameter is kept in volatile memory. Does Ford has specific "idle learn procedure" after disconnecting battery? Usually it involves manually holding the engine speed high until the cooling fan turns on twice. I know Honda has something like that but I also know from fooling around that clearing code from OBD does NOT require idle re-learn.

The only directions I found for learning idle was just to let it idle at least a minute while warm and drive it at least 10 miles. I put over 20 on it and it was only marginally better in some respects, worse in others.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
There are many articles that state that Ford uses a special throttle body coating and to only use cleaner designated for such use.

The OP used brake cleaner. Are the articles wrong?

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/throttle-body-cleaning-question-94197/

Id heard of this, and my first go was actually electronic cleaner that I had also used on the MAF, since I figured it wasnt as harsh as the brake cleaner. I didn't find any teflon or anything coating the sufaces, so I went to brake cleaner, which pretty much just melted it all off.

This thread gave me some inspiration.

My daily driver('04 Lincoln LS) has been idling like [censored] lately, especially in the cold(it usually smooths out when it warms up). I usually give the MAF a "precautionary clean" once a year or so, but hadn't done so in a while.

I pulled it in the garage(it's snowing outside) this afternoon and gave the MAF sensor a couple good blast of cleaner. I put it back in, and the car idled better but not as well as I'd expect from a modern V8(and as well as it usually does).

With that in mind, I went ahead and pulled the full air intake off to get to the throttle body(huge pain in the butt). I didn't have any "throttle body cleaner" but used carburetor cleaner-I've been buying that in bulk. Drive by wire makes it a pain with one person, as I ended up stacking lead ingots on the pedal, but got the thing adjusted. It now purrs like a kitten.

We get plenty of EFI marine engines running like garbage due to TB contamination. The air filtering is downright terrible on these things (aluminum grilles called "flame arrestors" that you could slide a sheet of thick paper through) and open breather hoses are typically mounted right against the flame arrestors.

Frankly, I am little bit perplexed at the ECM logic. Since ECM was capable of holding the idle before battery was disconnected, it should be able to do that afterwards.
Code:

Start Loop:-

Idle less than desired?

Yes, increase IACV setting by 5 count

If IACV over limit, throw P0505 else Go back to loop.

Now if the engine dies before it comes out of that loop, you would think the programmer would start with the already updated IACV setting but then I might be giving the guy too much credit!

I have sneaking suspicion that if you had played with the gas pedal aka forced it to re-learn without allowing to stall, it might have got it there eventually.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
We get plenty of EFI marine engines running like garbage due to TB contamination. The air filtering is downright terrible on these things (aluminum grilles called "flame arrestors" that you could slide a sheet of thick paper through) and open breather hoses are typically mounted right against the flame arrestors.

I'm running an OEM airbox in my car with a Purolator pleated air filter that isn't that old.

I think the last time I cleaned the throttle body was about 30K miles ago, but I was still amazed at the amount of black "[censored]" dripping out of it along with the fact that my rags were jet black when wiping.

Once again, I'm going to lament the fact that I actually have to press the pedal to get the butterfly to open. With a mechanical throttle, all I have to do is pull/push on the cable!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Frankly, I am little bit perplexed at the ECM logic. Since ECM was capable of holding the idle before battery was disconnected, it should be able to do that afterwards.
Code:

Start Loop:-

Idle less than desired?

Yes, increase IACV setting by 5 count

If IACV over limit, throw P0505 else Go back to loop.

Now if the engine dies before it comes out of that loop, you would think the programmer would start with the already updated IACV setting but then I might be giving the guy too much credit!

I have sneaking suspicion that if you had played with the gas pedal aka forced it to re-learn without allowing to stall, it might have got it there eventually.

Yeah, I don't know how its setup. It was capable of idling, but not very well it all. I tried holding it at a few different throttle positions for a minute to see if it would figure it out. No dice.
I talked to him some today (he was very impressed with the improvement) and he mentioned that it had acted like it was going to stall while coming to a stop a few times on him in the last couple months. So, it was probably way on the outside edge of its ability to compensate.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

I'm running an OEM airbox in my car with a Purolator pleated air filter that isn't that old.

I think the last time I cleaned the throttle body was about 30K miles ago, but I was still amazed at the amount of black "[censored]" dripping out of it along with the fact that my rags were jet black when wiping.

Once again, I'm going to lament the fact that I actually have to press the pedal to get the butterfly to open. With a mechanical throttle, all I have to do is pull/push on the cable!

Once I had it off, I was able to hold it open by hand by pressing on the blade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Once I had it off, I was able to hold it open by hand by pressing on the blade.

Interesting. Granted I really didn't want to force anything, but the throttle plate in my hand gave a noticeable mechanical-type resistance to being pushed open. This has been the case both times I've cleaned the throttle body. The only way I felt safe opening was by pushing the pedal.

In any case, with ambients ~30ºF this morning, the car started and ran just as smoothly as I could ask. I'd been attributing the problem to cold weather and it's not as cold as when I was REALLY noticing the problem, but none the less I'm confident that it will continue to idle smoothly regardless of the temperature(at least until the TB or MAF gets dirty again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back