2011 Nissan Sentra CVT Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I did a drain and fill on my 2011 Sentra.....89,000 on the clock. Drained out 5.25 quarts of fluid and replaced it with Amsoil CVT. I read the system holds 7.7 quarts on Amsoil's page so not all the fluid drained out. Should I:

- drive a few hundred miles (one month) and do another drain and fill. I would have replaced 10.5 quarts (5.25x2) in a month.
- at my next OCI, which is 6K away, do a drain and fill. That OCI will likely take me 6-8 months get to.
- let it ride and do another drain and fill in 50K when I am planning on doing a drain and fill anyway. At my current daily mileage, it will take me about 4 years to get another 50K on her.

I purchased 8 quarts of Amsoil CVT so I have 2.75 quarts left. I have a vacuum pump that I can use to pull out 2 quarts and use up what I have. I could pick up another 3 quarts for the D&F easy enough. If I went with the last option, could the CVT fluid keep in my garage for 4-5 years without degradation?

Anyone running Amsoil CVT in their Sentra? If so, is there any noticeable change?

TIA for your input and opinions.

I am not trying to give you a hard time here i promise. However you should have used Nissan NS-2 or NS-3 fluid as ordered by your owners manual. It states it quite clearly and unequivocally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am not trying to give you a hard time here i promise. However you should have used Nissan NS-2 or NS-3 fluid as ordered by your owners manual. It states it quite clearly and unequivocally.

Why?

With your reply, you do EVERYTHING the manual states? Good for you, your dealer must love you.

I was hoping for input on the questions I asked.....but thanks for the reply anyway.

It states rather clearly WHICH CVT fluid to use in it... Other fluids WILL VOID warranty if still under it.. If not... Good luck. Happy days.

Ohh and I have NEVER taken my car to a dealership. Period.

You can play with oil selection to a degree. Coolant not so much. Transmission ahh how about no especially if under warranty. Transmission fluid is cheap compared to a $5000 new CVT. The motor oils have changed in the VQ motors over the last number of yrs. So going to a thicker grade really is a non issue in my opinion.

Also has another side note captain... Do you know that the CVT has a deterioration number that will let you know when it needs to be changed?? It's 210,000. This is why they use the Consult scanner to check and see that number. That's what "inspect" means in your vehicle maintainance book.

Last edited:
I wouldn'the bother with it again for another 50k. I've been changing mine every 35k, but based on the two analyses I've had, I'm going to start running it 50k. Car has 145k or so, plan on keeping it til 250k if no major repairs. I only ever get 4.2 quarts out of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back