Gumout Multi System Tuneup review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took advantage of the FAR Gumout Multi System Tuneup at Advance Auto a month ago. Vehicle is a 1994 Toyota Corolla with 170,000 miles. These engines have piston rings problems where the oil control rings gum up and the engines consume oil. In my experience, after using various cleaners such as MMO, Auto-RX, Rislone etc., the oil consumption will go from 1,000 miles per quart to about 2,000 miles per quart, and after about 20,0000 miles, the rings get gummed up again.

With the Gumout product, I added 1 ounce per quart of oil to the oil, so 4 ounces in the crankcase, 6 ounces I used through the PVC line with the engine running, and 6 ounces in the fuel tank. After 500 miles, the oil hasn't budged on the dipstick and it's black with only 2,000 miles total on this interval. Seems to be doing something. I can't really comment on whether the engine runs better since prior to this, I did a full Seafoam treatment and ran about a half gallon of water through the PCV ;line to try and decarbon the engine. It ran great before the Gumout but I wanted to try it in the oil to see of it would do anything for oil consumption and it has. I did not run any Seafoam in the oil, just 1 can through the PCV line.

On a side note, the oil filter on the car currently is a Purolator Premium Plus L14476 that has withstood all of the above and the car sat for almost a year with intermittent driving since I work from home. This fall I'll be taking it off with probably 3,000 miles, and it's had the above Seafoam, water, and Gumout run through the engine and 2 brutally cold winters. We shall see what the media looks like! I'll post pics.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Cool. Site sponsor too! I will definitely try this on a few upcoming projects.
You cant have too many tools, another one that really works just broadens the possibilities for a successful clean up.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
You cant have too many tools, another one that really works just broadens the possibilities for a successful clean up.
thumbsup2.gif

I'll be on the lookout for deals on it too.

Another observation I took away when doing the 3 step process since I had a few drops spill out on my fingers when doing the PCV induction; it felts quite slippery like it has a lot of lubricity. Very different than Seafoam. Seafoam seems evaporative and volatile and not so oily.

Originally Posted By: Trav
thumbsup2.gif

Heck yea! My Corolla is bordering on Gary Allen type experimentation at this point. The only 2 things I haven't run through the oil system, fuel system, or induction system are transmission fluid and Kreen! My next trial will be Rislone. I did use Rislone previously but at 1/2 the recommended dosage and it did slow oil consumption.

Prior to all of this additive usage, I believe I haven't done any type of oil system cleaning to try and get the rings free in several years. Roughly 60,000 miles ago I did used BG Quick Clean and that really helped slow consumption. I also used MMO at very reduced dosages.

Most people wouldn't notice anything, but on these older Corollas, 93-97 and 98-02, and even prior to 93, the didn't have enough drain holes drilled in the pistons for the oil control rings and oil bakes into them similar to older model Saturn engines.

Last edited:
when do you plan on doing OCI on this car and then monitoring the oil consumption? or would you be letting this oil run for few more thousand miles and watching the consumption?

I have 4 cans which I have no idea why I picked them but as Paul says, having more tools is always a good idea!

I plan on changing the oil/filter this fall since it will have had 2 years on it. That will likely be about 1,000 miles with the gumout in the oil.

Nice to see another low cost option for cleaning up an engine. Hopefully AAP or A-Zone will be running it on sale again so I can give it a try myself in a beater OPE engine I recently got.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
it felts quite slippery like it has a lot of lubricity.

Taste a few drops and report back...
smile.gif

Keep us informed how well this product works. All I care about is what works and for the least amount of money. If this Gumout product is the one we have been looking for, that is great.

People need a engine cleaning product for engine internals that will safely and as cheaply as possible get the job done.

I just bought some of this. I was wondering about its use in the oil of a turbocharged Saab. The web site says it is for use in all engines.

Sorry for lack of updates. Yes, oil consumption did improve with the product and the car ran better after running the Gumout through the PCV line. However, I can not vouch for Gumout entirely or tell whether it is a longer term cure for cleaning out rings and combustion chambers because since using the product, I've also used Rislone in the oil and done a Seafoam induction cleaning last summer! The car in question is high mileage and suffers oil consumption and deposit related issues so routine cleaning is what I've done for many years now using a variety of products, all of which have shown positive results. I've used BG MOA, Seafoam, Rislone, and Gumout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back