Dumbest thing you have been told at a parts store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah TGIF....

Bought M1 and a Wix filter for my wife's SUV at an unamed national chain. As I am checking out, the counter jockey tells me to take it easy the first 50 miles after I change the oil. Of course I have to ask why...."Synthetic oil needs about 50 miles to break in"

Ever hear something so stupid, you squint your eyes as they talk to you?

I don't think they make that anymore.

(Manager stepped in and got the part in less than 30 seconds)

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
0W40 oil is too thin for running in South TX

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with that had a late 70's Ford pickup...ran 20w50 because thicker is better.
Boy you should have heard the lifter clatter from that thing on a cold afternoon!!

Bought an air filter one time and took the filter I was replacing with me. The guy at counter had a fit saying he didn't know how the car was even running with that filter in use. Wish I had a pictures of the filter. It had maybe 15k miles and minimal dirt and debris. The car is driven in town in north Texas. Not a harsh environment by no means. It was in good enough shape I almost just put it back in for the time being.

Overheard: Oh,its a Mercury Tracer...ha,its really made by Hyundai so its a good car.

Overheard: Sir,you want touchup paint for a 94 Dodge Spirit? We need the paint code,please go out and bring back the VIN number,its 2 or 3 of the digits....

Guy in front of me was buying some Havoline Synthetic 5w30. He asked the cashier if it was ok to use in his car. The cashier asked how many miles the car had and the guy responded with "80k miles". The cashier then said that with high miles like that he should be using a thicker 10w30 oil, so the cashier went and got some for him.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
We got Lucas fuel system treatment on special...

They always say that to me too!

I simply tell them I'd rather have something with PEA in it.

The dumbest thing I've *seen* at auto parts chains is food. Candy,popcorn,sodas,etc. Those places are beginning to look like convenience stores. Wonder when they're going to start selling bread,eggs,and milk?

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
0W40 oil is too thin for running in South TX

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with that had a late 70's Ford pickup...ran 20w50 because thicker is better.
Boy you should have heard the lifter clatter from that thing on a cold afternoon!!

In Florida ?

"Your Saturn S-series engine is made in Japan. You should use NGK spark plugs instead of AC Delco."

Originally Posted By: eljefino
"Your Saturn S-series engine is made in Japan. You should use NGK spark plugs instead of AC Delco."

LOL, I heard similarly not to use Bosch in a Japanese car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back