WIX Vs K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide between K&N PS-1010 and a WIX 51356. Cars are 2015 Mirage 1.2L and 2013 Lancer SE 2.4. 4 Month/7500Mi OIC Mirage is short tripped and will be using QSUD 0W-20

Wix for me, as they are always a solid choice. Not sure of the K&N quality.

Last edited:
The Wix actually is made by a full line filter company where the K&N is now imported by an offroad performance air filter mfg. company. I like K&N air filters on race engines but not a big fan of the reboxing of oil filters from Korea last time I looked at one.

K&N advertises that their oil and air filters have a higher flow rate than standard filters. That could mean that they don't filter as well to get that increased flow rate. I don't drive a race car so I'll accept a lessor flow rate for increased filtering.

Of the two you mention I'd pick the Wix but for a third option I'd take a TRD oil filter. Great filtering synthetic media and the 1" hex nut on the canister. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
The K&N PS is a racing filter with low efficiency I would avoid that, even their HP lineup is only 85% efficient at 20 microns and the Wix is 95% which is what I would choose between the two

Between the two you mentioned Wix has my vote the only drawback is that Wix is sometimes hard to find and sometimes hard to find at a good price.

I'd definitely also go with the WIX between the two.

My last WIX filter I got was made in China....I emailed the company and they gave me the world wide marketing yak yak.

They are no longer the "American made filter" company.....so sad.

Smoky

I'm ordering off rockauto. WIX is 4.90 per filter. It's a pretty good deal. The K&N is 5.3x at wally world.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
My last WIX filter I got was made in China....I emailed the company and they gave me the world wide marketing yak yak.

They are no longer the "American made filter" company.....so sad.

Smoky

What part number was it?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Don't you have other choices?

Yeah I was looking for a budget filter that costs less than $5 at rockauto. I was leaning towards the Bosh premium in my post in PCMO about a budget 0w20 oil and filter but it was pointed out to me that the Bosch filters tear like the Purolators. So that took out Bosch workshop, Bosch Premium, and Mann. So other than a cheap OCOD or economic filters that are like $1.50 per filter Wix was the next cheapest quality option. But the K&N is priced close enough that I would see if anyone though it was better. If you have any other suggestions I'm open to them for sure!

I was using RP or Amsoil filters and Amsoil SSO or PUP Oil but my first kid is on the way so I have to make some budget cuts. I have been pointed to the QSUD on the oil thread so now I'm looking for a cheaper filter that is also quality.

Last edited:
I was able to pickup 15 WIX Filters for 2.75 a piece from rockauto. I would assume they will treat me well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back