What qualifies a college grad as an Engineer ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great replys folks, I do understand it varys from state to state what defines an engineer.

I've met some people that call themselves an engineer but lack the credentials....

The word engineer doesn't have a specific meaning related to education. To engineer something means to design or build something. No where does the definition of the word say you need any type of education. But when the politicians get involved with something they muck it up.

Full Definition of engineer from Merriam-Webster:
: a member of a military group devoted to engineering work
obsolete : a crafty schemer : plotter
a : a designer or builder of engines
b : a person who is trained in or follows as a profession a branch of engineering
c : a person who carries through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance
: a person who runs or supervises an engine or an apparatus

Origin of engineer
Middle English engineour, from Anglo-French, from enginer to devise, construct, from engin

First Known Use: 14th century

Full Definition of engineering
: the activities or function of an engineer
a : the application of science and mathematics by which the properties of matter and the sources of energy in nature are made useful to people
b : the design and manufacture of complex products
: calculated manipulation or direction (as of behavior) — compare

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97K15004WD
In SC it's illegal to call yourself an "engineer" unless you are a PE. And that means the state exam must be passed.
Originally Posted By: 97K15004WD
So, if you want to call yourself an engineer in SC, you better have passed the exam or you are asking for trouble.

if i had to guess your job i would guess college professor.
??

because it doesn't matter you can DO.... all that matters is what you can SAY

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
BITOG community and professional engineers...
Very simple question, what qualifies a college grad to be an engineer ?

Is it a 4 year degree from an accredited college or university....(not DeVry degree mill) ?
Is it a professional state regulated Exam and license that 'officially' you become an engineer ?

Lots of educated folks on BITOG that are engineers such as JHZR2. Please state your area of engineering (speciality) and education. I need to know the difference between the two. I've met people in the past that call themselves an engineer but there is always a gray area in the meaning.

Thanks
smile.gif

Or its just a job title. At IBM I was a Senior Software Engineer. Now at a Wall Street corp I am a Senior Security Engineer. I have a [censored] in Math. (no comp sci back then).

But if you have a BSEE or BSME then your assumed to be an engineer.

I have Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Mechanical Engineering. I'm registered with the local engineering society as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.)

The laws vary a bit by jurisdiction but in general it is not legal to call yourself an engineer unless you are registered as a Professional Engineer. There are penalties under the law for doing so.

A Bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university gets you through the door. Then you require several years of engineering experience (at the time I first registered 2 years of experience was required, of which 1 year could be served by completion of a graduate degree in engineering). The current requirement is 4 years of experience. There may be exams to complete. Finally, an engineer must provide evidence of continuing education annually, relevant to their field of practice.

So becoming an engineer and then maintaining the right to call yourself an engineer is quite an undertaking.

I have B S in Civil Engineering along with minor in Computer Science. I ended up working 5 years in Civil Engineering and in that time passed an exam called Engineer In Training and with my experience was qualified to take the PE. However I skipped it as I got a job in .com wave as I had computer science degree(minor).

My previous job I was a Software Engineer however now more of an Application Architect.

What about people posing as meteorologists?

A B.S. in meteorology is a science degree. But many broadcast meteorologists are not meteorologists at all; they hold a mail-order certificate offered by some schools instead.

At what point does the professional experience of being a lowly weathercaster transmogrify someone into a full-on meteorologist?

The term engineer is generically used so I wonder if the OP is trolling all of us as esotetic arguing over semantics is perfect click bait. . You know when a thread has jumped the shark when someone has to post a dictionary definition.

Yes you need to be careful when you are claiming the true Title of a specific Engineering society then it does mean something specific, but this is title by title there is no blanket restriction on the term

Otherwise its like how doctor is used casually like your RugDoctor did not go to medical school. And neither did your dent doctor.
There are other shades of grey like doctor phil is not a medical doctor, and phds in nonmedical fields are also doctors.

Even other professionals such as dentists are addressed as doctor. If you search on the internet you will find false outrage on this, where its some pedantic guy trying to claim "real" doctors are outraged by this or its the law when in fact
Real doctors dont give a [censored] and have better things to do with their time

Last edited:
raytseng,

The reason why I ask is because too many people use the word engineer when they lack the credentials.

It's like being an MP in the the Army, but the guy self promotes he is an Army Ranger. Military Policeman and Ranger / Delta Force are not the same.... even though they wear the same uniform.

raytseng,

The reason why I ask is because too many people use the word engineer when they lack the credentials.

It's like being an MP in the the Army, but the guy self promotes he is an Army Ranger. Military Policeman and Ranger / Delta Force are not the same.... even though they wear the same uniform.

What credentials are you talking about? An Engineer is someone who drives and operates a train. Which credential is required to drive a train? The word is a general term and even in states which require license or certain credentials there are exceptions to the rules.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
The term engineer is generically used so I wonder if the OP is trolling all of us as esotetic arguing over semantics is perfect click bait. . You know when a thread has jumped the shark when someone has to post a dictionary definition.

This.

Great replys folks, I do understand it varys from state to state what defines an engineer.

I've met some people that call themselves an engineer but lack the credentials....

I don't give a ripsh&^t what State I go to I am a degreed Mechanical Engineer B.S.ME.. I am not a P.E.

[/thread]

Very simple question, what qualifies a college grad to be an engineer ?
Is it a 4 year degree from an accredited college or university....

I would say any grad that has completed the required courses. I have what's called a BE (Mechanical) which is equivalent to a BSME, also four years. I agree about the math comment, you need to have a basic understanding of advanced math even if you never use it in practice.

But here, the title "engineer" is often used for trade level certs such as sheet metal and welding, and even many proper design or project engineering jobs don't require a four year degree if you have sufficient experience. That's because of a shortage of degreed candidates.

Engineer actually describes at least 4 different jobs.
1) Guy who drives the engine on a train "engine-er"
2) Someone in IT who keeps the servers going
3) In the UK it's used as commonly as to mean a service technician. Often a bloke with a drill who installs cable TV or fixes an appliance is called engineer. "we'll send an engineer out straight away to get your TV installed".
4) A nerd with 3 semesters of calculus, diff eqs and linear algebra who has a 4 year degree in engineering.
I have a 4 year degree from a State University in Electrical Engineering, no P.E. license, and call myself an engineer.I have the job title of Systems Engineer which itself has two meanings depending on the industry. One related to IT guys, and one related to being the engineer responsible for designing the top level of a project, the overall "system". That is, designing a top level architecture, requirements, and interfaces of several component subsystems. To put it another way, the "big picture" engineer working on a large project who coordinates between the hardware/software/mechanical and other specifically disciplined engineers to what the overall system should do.

I've heard first hand of large engineering company servicing Navy contracts I worked with where a drawing that needed a stamp had to bubble up to a plant VP as he was the only person out of a ~100 4-year degreed engineers (mostly Electrical/Computer) working there to actually have a PE license.

The only time you "need" a P.E. license is to stamp drawings, and the only time that's really required is for construction projects. Very very few people (single digit %) in electrical/systems/computer engineering get their PE license. Civil engineers likely the highest % to get a P.E. license, will get it to certify drawings. Some mechanical and electrical engineers who work on construction projects, i.e. plumbing, HVAC etc who will have to stamp drawings get it, but the vast majority of EEs and MEs don't.

Last edited:
Per Al, and KIWI ME, BE Mech, 4 years at University. Let me do the last 25 years of stuff without having to join any bodies, licencing etc.

There's a Diploma available, which is offered in trades colleges that trades people oft do (in their 30s), which is not treated the same by employers...again, the high level math, and analysis tools aren't in that one.

If I was freelance, I'd probably have to join the institute, as that's what clients look for.

Let's first assume that we are talking only degreed engineers, not "engineering technology" majors, railroad engineers, custodians, or anything else that gets that word applied. We will stick with accredited engineering curriculum, with a degree granted at the bachelors level or higher.

Note that each field/specialty treats it a bit different.

Traditionally there was a limited set of fields, in recent history, they would be chemical, electrical, mechanical and civil engineering. More recently, a lot of specialties have broken out. Some that come to mind include computer engineering (which has essentially become its own field spun off of EE), environmental engineering (cross of civil and chemical), biomedical (cross of mechanical and chemical or of pharmacy and chemical), petroleum (really a specialization of chemical engineering), nuclear (chemical or mechanical with an emphasis on physics), etc. I'm sure I missed some and mistepresented others, but I think you'll get the drift.

I'm a chemical engineer with a PhD which was based upon the study of atomic structures under chemical reactions using synchrotron radiation as a tool to perform in situ x-Ray absorption spectroscopy to study said structure and reactions. My day job is research-oriented, so can support the use of such techniques as a means of understanding fundamentals, but I very much emphasize using the fundamentals to build practical and functional systems and demonstrate real stuff. That dissociated me from academia, which I leverage, which focuses on ever smaller and more specific phenomena in general. I cross disciplines too (which is common). Most of my work is electrical related, so I'm effectively a self-taught EE.

For me, a PhD was more valuable (and more difficult) than a PE. Though some Chem E friends have PE licenses, the majority of folks I know with PE licenses are EE, MechE or Civil. Why? Because this means something in projects that affect the public good, specific peoples' property, etc. As an example, say I, as a chemical engineer, was designing a refinery. A pressure vessel could explode and create major problems in the local area. I might specify the process and requirements, but a mechanical PE would probably work for a company making tanks, and "sign off" on the design.

So an engineer I'd say is someone who has at least completed a Batchelors degree from an accredited school. A PE is a term that is say is analogous to a CPA. You can have an accounting degree, you can probably even be granted a Doctorate of Philosophy in accounting. To do public work as a primary job, you would then get a CPA license. That's probably the best analog. You can be a book smart and horrible accountant (engineer), or you can have "not taken the test" and have great intuition.

A fraction of engineers go into medicine (due to the fact that most of the body's processes can be beautifully defined in engineering terms, which is something that doctors do not intrinsically learn/get), finance (due to math and reasoning skills) and law (due to technical and thought process/mindset, plus substance of the preliminary education vs "pre law", "poly sci" and other b s majors).

Depending upon the field and Position description, I wouldn't hire a PE over a regularly degreed engineer, but like everything, there are other factors that come into play.

I have a BSEE, and I'm a P.E.. Here in Ohio you can work for a private company employed as an engineer, but if you freelance as an engineering consultant or start your own business doing engineering, then you need to be a P.E.. Mainly it was pitched to us back in school that becoming a P.E. was a prestigious thing, though it's probably more important for civil or mechanical engineers. I had taken the FE when I graduated, so some years later I finally took the PE to finish what I started. Pretty sure I was the only electrical taking the exam that day though.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Bachelor degree in engineering from an accredited university that goes past calculus II is an engineer. Many schools also offer a Bachelor in engineering technology that stops math at Calculus II.

The later usually function in technical sales, program management roles. The guys with the full degree do all of the serious number crunching etc.

Some companies will not hire engineers with a technology degree for serious engineering positions.

My class started out around 120 and ended around 30. Top 10 school in the field. Lots of folks made it past Calc II (We had to have three semesters of calc, plus differential equations, linear algebra, classes on computational solving, etc.) but got knocked out by other stuff (typically thermodynamics I and II).

My experience with engineering technology grads hasn't been the best, to say the least... Im sure there are good ones, especially experienced folks who went "alternate path" and got that degree. But greenhorns with that degree are questionable to me.

I cant see engineering tech types being true "PMs" because of the lack of understanding and rigor. Another blanket statement, I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back